Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,716
E-man! Nice to see you again!

--lisab

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,717
Explosions are fun.

Om's very first thread said:
He ended the paper with some research he had performed where he was able to take a 3.5hp engine, modify it somehow, and generate ~45 hp, at which point it blew up.

(ref)

• #1,718
"I saw that all the things I feared, and which feared me, had nothing good or bad in them save in so far as the mind was affected by them"

Spinoza

• #1,719
"The problem with television is that people must sit and keep their eyes glued on a screen; the average American family hasn’t time for it.” - The New York Times, 1939.

• #1,720
The porcupine is a peaceful animal, yet, God still thought it necessary to give him quills...

Found in a signature by someone by the name of AKmud, whilst looking for a squaw candy recipe.

• #1,721
It can be difficult to realize that we are constantly accelerating toward the center of the Earth when we are standing still.
Maybe the person who just posted that in another thread on PF should remain anonymous.

• #1,722
Edward Abbey said:
Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum floats to the top.

I shall not share his quip about California, as it was just too funny.

• #1,723
“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.” – Voltaire

• #1,724
http://1j74duke02o49spu52ub76g1bzq.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013-01-21-sagan.jpg​

Likes KiggenPig, Garth and lisab
  • #1,725
A long but very nice quote, E-man :smile:.

• #1,726
http://medias.gifboom.com/medias/t_db69ae73062f4a0888aa93785a8659cf.jpg [Broken]
:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,728
Wang Cares...

• #1,729
One for a giggle...

65407036.jpg

One for the feels...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,731
"All cruelty springs from weakness" by Seneca.

• #1,732
The wolf will always be labeled as bad if little red riding hoods account is the only one entertained.

• #1,733
nuuskur said:
"All cruelty springs from weakness" by Seneca.

I think I posted this one a few pages ago, it's a great quote. :)
Since I'm here, I'll share another one by Seneca.

"There are more things to alarm us than to harm us, and we suffer more often in apprehension than reality."

Likes 2milehi
  • #1,734
You can use logic to attack your opponent, but if you get people laughing at them, you win.

--- Steve Marmel*

[edit]*A gauzy, probably incorrect recollection of what my Journalism advisor at the University of Wisconsin once told me

Likes CalcNerd, Demystifier and Medicol
  • #1,735
杀手 無與倫上匕的自由 said:
Always stay positive and never tell yourself that this is the last time.

• #1,736
“Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are.”
-Kurt Cobain

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
-Dr. Seuss

• #1,737
"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel".

Maya Angelou

Likes Silicon Waffle, OmCheeto, mfb and 1 other person
  • #1,738
F__k literature.
-Ernest Hemingway to Ezra Pound.
Selected Letters 1917–1961

• #1,739
Enigman said:
F__k literature.
-Ernest Hemingway to Ezra Pound.
Selected Letters 1917–1961

Probably the unwittyest of the dictae of this thread and wasn't he a bit of a poseur and self-image fabricator himself?

• #1,740
epenguin said:
Probably the unwittyest of the dictae of this thread and wasn't he a bit of a poseur and self-image fabricator himself?
Context:
Bill [Bird] is getting out my book [In Our Time*], it was promised by bindery 3 weeks ago--different dates have been set since. After awaiting various set dates by the binder I have lost the fine thrill enjoyed by Benj. Franklin when entering Philadelphia with a roll under each arm. F__k Literature.

I am writing some damn good stories. [...]

*First collection of short stories he published.
He's slowly losing his momentum and is disillusioned with the modern publishing industry. The exclamation is an angry criticism of the same in favour of the simplistic process in the previous century that was enjoyed by Ben Franklin. Ezra Pound was a mentor of sorts to Hemingway.
The quote on the other hand is fun to throw at English majors who don't know the context.

Also, you could use this : http://www.hemingwayapp.com/

Though, I am one to talk this post itself lights up like a rainbow

Likes epenguin
  • #1,741
Aha, so the context is not uninfluential in constituting a considerable makes a difference.
Sylistically that app can help write like Orwell, Ian Fleming, Hemingway.
I think I and most of us can, at least write dry compressed scientific prose when needed.
I read a critique recently that said Orwell's stripped-down minimalism was itself very artificial, an affectation, like inverted snobbery, which rather spoilt him for me. And whatever was supposed to be most admirable I have to say that without being told to, the stylist I most enjoyed reading is Nabokov. :redface:

Last edited:
  • #1,742
"The Secretary General of the UN has the easiest job in the world, he just needs to deplore." :oldeyes:

• #1,743
If you explain something
in ways that are not threatening
and lace that explanation
with enough illustration,
example
and humor,
people
at some point
can relax
and take it in.​

--- Robert Reich

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,744
OmCheeto said:
If you explain something
in ways that are not threatening
and lace that explanation
with enough illustration,
example
and humor,
people
at some point
can relax
and take it in.​

--- Robert Reich
Great! But on the other side of the coin:
福永 said:
People always manage to fall into panic when a terrible outcome is put into logical words and explained to them.
I lived that with my own skin and I did fall into panic like an idiot. I was totally fooled.

Likes OCR
  • #1,745
"I don't want to believe, I want to know." - Carl Sagan

"Ouch! I've been shot!" - JFK ;)

• #1,746
セバスチャン said:
Humans cannot reject temptation. When they are plunged into the depths of despair, likened to hell, they will hold on to anything that may help them escape from the situation they are in, even if it's merely a spider's thread, no matter what sort of humans they are.
Even if it's fiction I can relate. After being thrown into an abyss of despair I desperately struggled to get out of it. Accepting "help" (note the quotes) from people who were clearly the very enemies who threw me into the abyss, but I was in so much despair that I was blind to it. :frown:

<h2>1. What is the purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes?</h2><p>The purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes is to provide comfort and inspiration during difficult times. Quotes can offer a new perspective, remind us of our inner strength, and provide guidance on how to cope with challenges.</p><h2>2. How can quotes help us escape despair?</h2><p>Quotes can help us escape despair by offering words of wisdom and encouragement. They can remind us of the power of positivity and the importance of gratitude, which can shift our mindset and help us see the light in dark situations.</p><h2>3. Are there specific types of quotes that are more effective in providing solace?</h2><p>The effectiveness of a quote in providing solace is subjective and varies from person to person. However, quotes that resonate with an individual's personal experiences and beliefs are more likely to offer comfort and solace.</p><h2>4. Can quotes be used as a form of therapy?</h2><p>Yes, quotes can be used as a form of therapy. They can serve as a source of reflection and self-discovery, and can help individuals process their emotions and thoughts in a healthy way.</p><h2>5. How can one incorporate favourite quotes into their daily life?</h2><p>Incorporating favourite quotes into daily life can be done in various ways, such as writing them down and keeping them in a visible place, using them as daily affirmations, or sharing them with others. It is also helpful to reflect on the meaning of the quote and how it can be applied to one's life.</p>

1. What is the purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes?

The purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes is to provide comfort and inspiration during difficult times. Quotes can offer a new perspective, remind us of our inner strength, and provide guidance on how to cope with challenges.

2. How can quotes help us escape despair?

Quotes can help us escape despair by offering words of wisdom and encouragement. They can remind us of the power of positivity and the importance of gratitude, which can shift our mindset and help us see the light in dark situations.

3. Are there specific types of quotes that are more effective in providing solace?

The effectiveness of a quote in providing solace is subjective and varies from person to person. However, quotes that resonate with an individual's personal experiences and beliefs are more likely to offer comfort and solace.

4. Can quotes be used as a form of therapy?

Yes, quotes can be used as a form of therapy. They can serve as a source of reflection and self-discovery, and can help individuals process their emotions and thoughts in a healthy way.

5. How can one incorporate favourite quotes into their daily life?

Incorporating favourite quotes into daily life can be done in various ways, such as writing them down and keeping them in a visible place, using them as daily affirmations, or sharing them with others. It is also helpful to reflect on the meaning of the quote and how it can be applied to one's life.