FBI agent indicted for false statements and obstruction in Oregon standoff case

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches on the ongoing armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Harney County, Oregon by Ammon Bundy and his followers. The federal government's ownership of land in the West, including Oregon, is discussed, as well as the conflicting opinions on who should have ownership of the land. The conversation also brings up the idea of returning the land to the Paiute tribe or other groups. The conversation ends with a discussion on the resentment and conflicts that arise from past injustices, but the importance of moving forward and not holding onto hate and racism.
mheslep said:
Why would you think petition has not already been made, for years?
Please show me the evidence that such a petition has been filed to Congress, or any department within the federal government.

I did find a Petition For A Writ Of Certiorari To The United States Court Of Appeals For The Ninth Circuit regarding the sentencing of Steven and Dwight Hammond after their conviction of arson on federal lands.
http://landrights.org/or/Hammond/Ha...for-Writ-of-Certiorari-Filed-June-17-2013.pdf

The petition claims the sentence to be excessive. Well, that probably depends on the intent behind the crime. In the case of the Hardie-Hammond fire in 2001, the fire was apparently set (according to testimony) to cover illegal poaching on federal land.
http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/e...convicted-arson-resentenced-five-years-prison
The jury convicted both of the Hammonds of using fire to destroy federal property for a 2001 arson known as the Hardie-Hammond Fire, located in the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protection Area. Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out “Strike Anywhere” matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to “light up the whole country on fire.” One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations. After committing the arson, Steven Hammond called the BLM office in Burns, Oregon and claimed the fire was started on Hammond property to burn off invasive species and had inadvertently burned onto public lands. Dwight and Steven Hammond told one of their relatives to keep his mouth shut and that nobody needed to know about the fire.

Eastern Oregon father-son ranchers convicted of lighting fires on federal land (June 22, 2012)
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2012/06/eastern_oregon_father-son_ranc.html
The men were convicted of arson in the 2001 Hardie-Hammond Fire near Steens Mountain, where BLM leased grazing rights to them. Steven Hammond also was convicted of arson in the 2006 Krumbo Butte Fire on the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and Steens Mountain.

They were acquitted and the government dismissed allegations that they conspired and set two other wildfires in 2006.
Given the problem of wildfires in the west, and the potential for loss of life and destruction of property, I imagine the state and federal governments would take significant punitive action against arsonists. In the case of the Hammonds, it seems due process was applied.

It does appear that filing a petition is not so easy. I expect one has to hire a lawyer familiar with the process, and for most people, that's probably an expensive proposition.

I'm curious as to what Constitutional rights the Bundys or their supporters/sympathizers seem to be claiming are being infringed, or what actions by the government are illegal or violation of the Constitution.

Rep. Greg Walden does make some points about the government, particularly the BLM, not listening to the people, and apparently individual federal employees making arbitrary decisions with respect to actions concerning access to public lands.

FYI - Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protection Act of 2000
http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/burns/files/PL106-399.pdf

In theory, this is how the process should work.
http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/burns/recreation/steens-mtn.php
http://www.blm.gov/or/rac/steensac.php

Steens Mountain is a place I'd like to hike.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The obvious difference is the guns.
Yes that's a difference *you* are welcome to draw, but there is no "violence by firearms" clause in the definition. In the Occupy movement there were however hundreds of assaults on police officers, sexual assaults on others, knife attacks, robberies, seizure of public access like the bridge in NYC. To my knowledge, nobody was charged under the terrorism statutes.

russ_watters said:
In any case, you didn't really answer my query. I'll try to be more plain/succinct: are you saying you consider these actions a legitimate form of protest?
No, I do not. Their act is criminal. I also don't think what they're doing is terrorism.

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
that sounds almost contumely
Looked up that word: :oldsurprised:
I was just trying to keep things, good god my vocabulary is bad, contemporary?

This topic has already gotten so complex, that my micr-Om-eter sized brain is already getting overloaded.

sure it's a conservative reporter
you got to read 'em all and decide what's the likely truth.

and something ain't right about the prosecutor.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/03/unwanted_texts_and_attention_b.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...ttorney_amanda_mars.html#incart_story_package

it's a pandoras box allright

I agree. After watching mheslep's video of Greg Walden, I have a newfound respect for him. (Greg Walden that is. :oldwink:)

But getting back to the problem of "States" vs "Federal" rights, I'd like to point one thing, that was pointed out earlier:

nsaspook [ref] ;
The Supreme Court has upheld far tougher sentences for less serious or, at the very least, comparable offenses. See Lockyer v. Andrade, 538 U.S. 63 (2003) (upholding a sentence of fifty years to life under California’s three-strikes law for stealing nine videotapes); Ewing v. California, 538 U.S. 11 (2003) (upholding a sentence of twenty-five years to life under California’s three-strikes law for the theft of three golf clubs)

These ludicrous sentences were handed out because the citizens of the STATE of California decided that they didn't like career criminals. And the US Supreme Court upheld the rulings.
nsaspook said:
I would like judges to be able to judge the actual facts of the crime and not be a rubber stamp for some rigid one size fits all federal "War On ...'' law.
Hear hear!

ps. Jim, I'm pretty sure that if I had lived through your experience, I'd be 100% on your side. But I didn't, so I'm not. But... If you go back through the forum, you'll find that I also have beefs with the feds. And they are not just personal beefs, as they affected the entire region.
Stinkin' Poop tax: "were imposed upon us by the Federal Government" [ref PF]
And, OMG!: read at your own risk. Om lost his mind one day...

Astronuc said:
Please show me the evidence that such a petition has been filed to Congress, or any department within the federal government.
If you spend a couple minutes on Rep Walden's House floor speech, which I posted above, you'll see he refers to years of working with the Hammonds, and Walden in fact wrote and passed a law to rework the interaction between the BLM and ranchers, which per Rep Walden the BLM has routinely ignored. Walden references widely attended public hearings in the area on land issues, ostensibly to garner public opinion from locals, which again was then ignored by the BLM. Walden also mentions the hundreds of thousands of acres of routine wildfire in the area, which he indicates might well be due to BLM mismanagement, but at least should put the hundred plus acres burned by Hammond in context.

As Walden indicates, the Hammonds broke the law, and had some jail time coming. Do they deserve mandatory minimums under terrorism statues? I agree with the trial judge: no. Nor were the years of abuse from the BLM to residents in the area fair, or allow for redress.

Last edited:
Likes OCR
OmCheeto said:
This topic has already gotten so complex, that my micr-Om-eter sized brain is already getting overloaded.

i suffer from same .
OmCheeto said:
ps. Jim, I'm pretty sure that if I had lived through your experience, I'd be 100% on your side. But I didn't, so I'm not.
Thanks for that, OM
As I've said I'm too far removed to know what's really going on out there.
But i don't automatically ascribe the moral high ground to the bureaucrats.

When Florida grabbed the west Everglades they let property owners keep their hunting camps and use them for the rest of their lives.
When Missouri grabbed the Current River they let people with weekend or retirement cabins use them for the rest of their lives.

I was a young man then.
It seemed to me a reasonable way to assure those unique areas could continue to be enjoyed the same way i (as well as the property owners) had enjoyed them, for the foreseeable future.
Still does.

old jim

Likes OmCheeto
StatGuy2000 said:
Just because these weren't very bright in terms of tactical position doesn't mean that the definition of terrorism doesn't apply. The definition of terrorism, as defined by the FBI,doesn't rely on tactical brilliance or the maximum # of casualties.

I really don't think a broad definition of 'terrorism' is helpful for the preservation of civil liberties in the USA. We don't call every bank robber that kills a guard or customer a terrorist (who could also be a bank robber for some cause) because even if they are hardened criminals there is still due process. If we want to say something is more than 'just' a crime to justify a quasi-military response to it then IMO the threshold for being treated as a terrorist should be high and independent of some broad legal definition of 'terrorism'. The FBI thankfully seems to have learned some hard lessons from the past.

Last edited:
StatGuy2000 said:
I disagree with your assessment of the Occupy movement of 2011-2012 (at least for the majority of the Occupy protesters) since law (A) was not broken ...
Do you mean to say, for instance, that the Occupy blockade of the Brooklyn Bridge car lanes on Oct 1, 2011 and the associated assaults on police officers were not illegal, though 700 were arrested, but that the seizure of the Refuge shack in Oregon is illegal? (I agree with the latter BTW). The Manhattan DA's office reported there were been "2250 Occupy-related arrests" from September through June 2012.

...(the Occupy protesters did not engage in acts dangerous to human lives).
Hundreds of occupy protesters endangered and and harmed lives, as the earlier links indicate. They wantonly broke the law.

As far as law (B), yes there has been no (B)(i) or (B)(iii) (at least so far as we know). As for (B)(ii) I would think taking control of a government building and refusing to give up such control without meeting their demands is a form of coercion of government, so (B)(ii) clearly applies. Therefore, the conditions required to meet charges of terrorism stands

First step is (A), break the law, which they have done, and endanger somebody, which they have not, though they are perhaps close to it. The coercion of government (Bii) anything by seizing the Malheur Refuge shack seems weak to me, certainly not as coercive as, say, blocking off the Brooklyn Bridge or rioting for days in the street and burning shops.

Last edited:
mheslep said:
If you spend a couple minutes on Rep Walden's House floor speech, which I posted above, you'll see he refers to years of working with the Hammonds, and Walden in fact wrote and passed a law to rework the interaction between the BLM and ranchers, which per Rep Walden the BLM has routinely ignored. Walden references widely attended public hearings in the area on land issues, ostensibly to garner public opinion from locals, which again was then ignored by the BLM. Walden also mentions the hundreds of thousands of acres of routine wildfire in the area, which he indicates might well be due to BLM mismanagement, but at least should put the hundred plus acres burned by Hammond in context.
As I recall from some recent fires, a number were due to arson. There are some fires that start with lightning. Locally, we seem to have quite a few fires in the dry season from folks throwing cigarettes out the window of their vehicles. This is usually along interstates and road ways. In some cases, cars pulling off to the side of the road can start fires in the dry grass.

As Walden indicates, the Hammonds broke the law, and had some jail time coming. Do they deserve mandatory minimums under terrorism statues? I agree with the trial judge: no. Nor were the years of abuse from the BLM to residents in the area fair, or allow for redress.
I listened to the video, and I found the act to which he is referring. It seems to be working.

In the video, Walden (~12:45-13:30) refers to a BLM manager (who was removed) in the Wallowa-Whitman/Blue Mountains area, which is northeast up in Baker and Wallowa Counties, and the possibility (~11:00-11:30) of a National Monument (~2.5 million acres) in Malheur County east of Harney. Baker County sits north of Malheur County, and Grant County sits between Harney and Baker Counties.

The Hammond's property (and Krumbo lake/creek) has a mailing address in Diamond, Or, on the west side of Steens Mountain area, more toward Frenchglen than Burns. Why Bundy and his group occupied a federal office in Burns is not clear to me, other than it was convenient.

I would agree with the Judge Michael Hammond's assessment of the law and mandatory sentence applied in this case. While it was an act of arson, which was apparently done to destroy evidence of another illegal act, poaching, it doesn't seem to meet the definition of terrorism. There was definitely criminal intent.
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...sf/2015/10/controversial_oregon_ranchers.html

So what should be a reasonable sentence?

As for the proposed monument in Malheur County, Walden incorrectly stated that it was being done in secret. It's been rather out in the open.
http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2015/10/malheur_county_officials_set_m.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2015/10/owyhee_canyonlands_focus_of_fu.html
Environmental groups hope to persuade President Barack Obama to declare 2.5 million acres of federal land as the Owyhee Canyonlands National Monument before he leaves office in 2017.
Looking at the map on the webpage, as proposed area for conservation would seem excessive. I think the local folks, who would be directly impacted by such an action should be given consideration based on the adverse consequences they'd experience in contrast to the perceived benefits claimed by 'environmentalists'.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy and mheslep
mheslep said:
Do you mean to say, for instance, that the Occupy blockade of the Brooklyn Bridge car lanes on Oct 1, 2011 and the associated assaults on police officers were not illegal, though 700 were arrested, but that the seizure of the Refuge shack in Oregon is illegal? (I agree with the latter BTW). The Manhattan DA's office reported there were been "2250 Occupy-related arrests" from September through June 2012.

First of all, if you actually check my post, I said the majority of Occupy protesters were not involved in acts of violence. Yes, there were some among the Occupy movement who stirred up trouble and engaging in violent and criminal behaviour (rioting, acts of violence against police, etc.) but these were in the minority.

Second, those Occupy protesters were arrested (in your very own quote, you stated that the Manhattan DA's office reported that there were "2259 Occupy-related arrests"). As of this moment, those thugs who seized the Refuge federal building have not been arrested.

Third, as russ already pointed out, the thugs in Oregon were armed with guns, with the intent to use it against anyone who opposed them. On top of making demands on the government with a threat of force, yes, that makes it an illegal act, and a terrorist act, by the definition used by the FBI.

Hundreds of occupy protesters endangered and and harmed lives, as the earlier links indicate. They wantonly broke the law.

Yes, and these protesters were arrested and presumably went on trial for their actions, as I've already indicated earlier.

First step is (A), break the law, which they have done, and endanger somebody, which they have not, though they are perhaps close to it. The coercion of government (Bii) anything by seizing the Malheur Refuge shack seems weak to me, certainly not as coercive as, say, blocking off the Brooklyn Bridge or rioting for days in the street and burning shops.

Again, the fact that they seized a federal building using weapons makes their behaviour coercive, thus meeting the definition of a terrorist act. Protesters blockading off a bridge is an act of civil disobedience and is part and parcel of living in a democracy. As long as the protesters conduct their protest in a peaceful manner, there is nothing criminal about it. Of course, rioting and burning shops is illegal, but my recollection was that this involved (a) only a minority of the Occupy movement, and (b) simple riots do not constitute a deliberate use of coercion, so doesn't meet the definition of terrorism.

nsaspook said:
I really don't think a broad definition of 'terrorism' is helpful for the preservation of civil liberties in the USA. We don't call every bank robber that kills a guard or customer a terrorist (who could also be a bank robber for some cause) because even if they are hardened criminals there is still due process. If we want to say something is more than 'just' a crime to justify a quasi-military response to it then IMO the threshold for being treated as a terrorist should be high and independent of some broad legal definition of 'terrorism'. The FBI thankfully seems to have learned some hard lessons from the past.

First of all, I disagree at face value the underlying assumption you are making, which is that somehow I am applying a broad definition of "terrorism". I was applying the definition that the FBI currently uses in their legal definition of terrorism.

Second of all, it is my contention that terrorism is first and foremost a criminal act, and those charged and arrested on such charges have the same rights to due process as any other criminal defendant (I will state on record that I was and am opposed to the Patriot Act and other similar acts which sought to curtail civil liberties on the justification that these were tools to fight terrorism). So on that front, I believe we are in agreement.

Third, whether law enforcement employs a quasi-military response or not is of course dependent on the circumstances and the nature of the threat to either themselves or the broader public. Not all acts of terrorism has the same degree of threat as others. In some cases, the threat to the public is limited, whereas in others the threat is both imminent and broad-based, and each case needs to be treated differently.

Astronuc said:
I think the local folks, who would be directly impacted by such an action should be given consideration based on the adverse consequences they'd experience in contrast to the perceived benefits claimed by 'environmentalists'.
Thumbs up .

Likes OCR
Astronuc said:
Looking at the map on the webpage, as proposed area for conservation would seem excessive. I think the local folks, who would be directly impacted by such an action should be given consideration based on the adverse consequences they'd experience in contrast to the perceived benefits claimed by 'environmentalists'.

I would agree in principle that if the federal government is set to decide on what to do with federal land (specifically in this instead, the proposal is to set aside a considerable portion of federal land to a nature preserve), then a very important consideration is the impact that such a proposal would have on residents who live near those lands. I think it would be sensible to have an extensive process of consultation (e.g. town hall meetings) to address the proposal.

I should also add that I have no problem with local residents raising concerns or objections, or even peacefully protesting any proposed use of federal lands -- American citizens have that basic democratic right.

StatGuy2000 said:
I think it would be sensible to have an extensive process of consultation (e.g. town hall meetings) to address the proposal.
There have been town meetings held over the years on land issues involving the Hammonds, heavily attended, and the outcome ignored by the BLM per the congressional rep. There have been complaints made to their congressional representative going back to the 90s.

mheslep said:
Yes that's a difference *you* are welcome to draw, but there is no "violence by firearms" clause in the definition. In the Occupy movement there were however hundreds of assaults on police officers, sexual assaults on others, knife attacks, robberies, seizure of public access like the bridge in NYC. To my knowledge, nobody was charged under the terrorism statutes.
And why would they be? Those sorts of left wing protests explicitly preach and make an effort to practice non-violence. They are [generally] unarmed and the violence they do is generally unarmed resisting arrest related violence. The other things you mentioned - knifings, robberies, sexual assaults - are things that happened internally in their camps and are not part of how they interacted with police/the community.

I'm really astonished this isn't clear/obvious: carrying a gun and saying you will use it to "defend" your occupation of a government installation is an overt threat of violence that building a tent or chaining yourself to a bollard on the street is not.

I'll try to put it a little more simply by citing a different example, environmentalism:
-Spiking a tree: terrorism.
-Chaining yourself to a tree: not terrorism.

One is an inherrently violent act, the other not, even if when you drag him away from the tree, he resists. Similarly, siezing land at the barrel of a gun is an inherrently violent act, even if you don't shoot the gun.

Also, the tangent you are on with Astronuc is a non-starter: there is no criteria for where there's been "enough" airing of the grievance through normal/legal channels and thereby illegal actions become warranted/acceptable.

Likes StatGuy2000 and lisab
If I see that overt threat of violence being used against noncombatants (the press, any civilian, etc...) I will be first to call them terrorists when they meet all the requirements:

“Domestic terrorism”
• Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;

• Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and

• Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

18 U.S.C. Sec 2332b defines the term “federal crime of terrorism” as an offense that:

• Is calculated to influence or affect the conduct of government by intimidation or coercion, or to retaliate against government conduct; and

• Is a violation of one of several listed statutes, including Sec 930(c) (relating to killing or attempted killing during an attack on a federal facility with a dangerous weapon); and Sec 1114 (relating to killing or attempted killing of officers and employees of the U.S.).
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition

nsaspook said:
If I see that overt threat of violence being used against noncombatants (the press, any civilian, etc...) I will be first to call them terrorists when they meet all the requirements:

“Domestic terrorism”

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition
The criterion say "or" a lot - they don't have to meet all the requirements (indeed, many are mutually exclusive), just certain sets. Indeed, it said: "or to retaliate against government conduct;", which is explicitly what this is.

Now, you bolded "noncombatants" and then "civilians", which are non-adjacent classes. I'm not sure if you recognize that a "combatant" is a fighting member of the military and a "non-combatant" is everyone else. But yes: taking up arms against government combatants wouldn't be terrorism, it would "just" be treason/insurgency/revolt. That's a fairly minor distinction that we sometimes have to make, particularly in the fights in the Middle East, but not really an important hair to split here.

russ_watters said:
Now, you bolded "noncombatants" and then "civilians", which are non-adjacent classes. I'm not sure if you recognize that a "combatant" is a fighting member of the military and a "non-combatant" is everyone else. But yes: taking up arms against government combatants wouldn't be terrorism, it would "just" be treason/insurgency/revolt. That's a fairly minor distinction that we sometimes have to make, particularly in the fights in the Middle East, but not really an important hair to split here.

I wish the reality of "combatant" today was that simple.

By non-combatant here I was thinking mainly about law enforcement like the sheriff while in his role as mediator. Charge the group with treason/insurgency/revolt if they do something really stupid in the future but so far it's a bit of stretch to even call it that.

russ_watters said:
And why would they be?
I don't think either case qualifies as terrorism by the given definition (crime, violence, endangerment, coercion), but if you want to throw the term around Occupy is a closer fit. Firearms are not in the definition.

I'm really astonished this isn't clear/obvious: carrying a gun and saying you will use it to "defend" your occupation of a government installation is an overt threat of violence
Agreed, I've not said otherwise. They should call it off, give up, at least throw the guns out.

that building a tent or chaining yourself to a bollard on the street is not.

I'll try to put it a little more simply by citing a different example, environmentalism:
-Spiking a tree: terrorism.
-Chaining yourself to a tree: not terrorism.
Yes, but that is not an apt description of Occupy. Yes there was ample peaceful camping out in tents and discussion about how to change the world. Dont mistake that for an absence of riots, arson, and assaults on police officers which also occured. You are dismissing a great deal of violence as somehow irrelevant or smiley face no-victim, which much of it was not, as compared to the Refuge guys who have so far made vague threats and broke the law, but so far have hurt no one.

Also, the tangent you are on with Astronuc is a non-starter: there is no criteria for where there's been "enough" airing of the grievance through normal/legal channels and thereby illegal actions become warranted/acceptable.
You must certainly mean *violent* illegal actions are never warranted, especially on MLK day. Anyway, I didn't bring up the history of grievance to posit some sufficient limit, but to set the record straight on the several suggestions here that there had not been any legitimate grievance airing at all.

Last edited:
nsaspook said:
If I see that overt threat of violence being used against noncombatants (the press, any civilian, etc...)
Your definition would make a simple non terror criminal of, for instance, the Ft Hood mass killer, Hasan.

Terrorism is a catch all phrase that allows the government to do whatever it wants with impunity anyway. So it won't be long before anyone who speaks out against is a "terrorist."

p1l0t said:
errorism is a catch all phrase that allows the government to do whatever it wants with impunity anyway. So it won't be long before anyone who speaks out against is a "terrorist."

people will have to learn about 42US1983 and 18USC242 .

mheslep said:
Your definition would make a simple non terror criminal of, for instance, the Ft Hood mass killer, Hasan.

He was tried under the UCMJ. The Department of Defense classifies the case as one of workplace violence.

mheslep said:
There have been town meetings held over the years on land issues involving the Hammonds, heavily attended, and the outcome ignored by the BLM per the congressional rep. There have been complaints made to their congressional representative going back to the 90s.

My reply to you is "so what?" I will simply quote russ on this: "there is no criteria for where there's been "enough" airing of the grievance through normal/legal channels and thereby illegal actions become warranted/acceptable."

StatGuy2000 said:
My reply to you is "so what?" ...
So stop suggesting there has not already been years of town meetings and traditional grievance airing:

think it would be sensible to have an extensive process of consultation (e.g. town hall meetings) to address the proposal

mheslep said:
So stop suggesting there has not already been years of town meetings and traditional grievance airing:

mheslep, I did not suggest that there wasn't any consultation, only that as a general principle, if the federal government intends to make changes to laws that affect a large number of people, then consultation is generally advisable (although not required).

My point still stands: just because there have been town meetings and traditional grievance airing does not justify people taking up weapons and illegally taking control of property. As I've said before, people who do this are thugs and criminals (and quite possibly terrorists).

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it sounds to me like you are sympathetic to these people and their actions.

If peaceful protest was effective it would probably be illegal. I'm not saying I agree with what they are doing or why, but it's a fair point.

nsaspook said:
I wish the reality of "combatant" today was that simple.

By non-combatant here I was thinking mainly about law enforcement like the sheriff while in his role as mediator.
For your specific query, it is simple: police are noncombatants, period.
Charge the group with treason/insurgency/revolt if they do something really stupid in the future but so far it's a bit of stretch to even call it that.
When this started I was happy with the initial hands off response, but now in my opinion it is too hands off. If this were an "Occupy" protest, they'd be dragged out by their collars. At the very least, they should not be allowed to come and go and resupply.

mheslep said:
Astronuc took your bait, but that does not validate the line of discussion. Astronaut did not say and I seriously doubt he believes they never took any of the normal/legal grievance paths. You pinned that on him and he bit.

nsaspook said:
He was tried under the UCMJ. The Department of Defense classifies the case as one of workplace violence.
The UCMJ is not equipped to deal with a terrorism charge, but Hassan was, in fact, on the FBI radar as a potential terrorist prior to the attack. There have been mixed messages on its classification since, but that's largely political. My understanding also is that civilian courts could attempt their own charges if they feel like it.

The attack was essentially the same as last year's San Bernardino shooting, which is being treated as terrorism. The only relevance the "workplace" holds in both cases is that the perpetrators chose targets and a battlefield they were familiar with.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
russ_watters said:
The UCMJ is not equipped to deal with a terrorism charge, but Hassan was, in fact, on the FBI radar as a potential terrorist prior to the attack. There have been mixed messages on its classification since, but that's largely political. My understanding also is that civilian courts could attempt their own charges if they feel like it.

The attack was essentially the same as last year's San Bernardino shooting, which is being treated as terrorism. The only relevance the "workplace" holds in both cases is that the perpetrators chose targets and a battlefield they were familiar with.

It's worth keeping in mind that a particular criminal can (and no doubt quite often have) multiple motives when committing a particular criminal act. Yes, Hasan's act (along with the San Bernardino shooters) were considered acts of terrorism, but that doesn't mean that workplace issues didn't influence their actions.

For example, there were reports that Syed Farook (one of the San Bernardino shooters) did not get along with his co-workers at the city's Department of Public Health, and this may have played into his and his wife's choice of where to attack. After all, terrorists in general commit the acts they do to make a public political statement, often in a grand style in locations of either (a) of strong symbolic importance, (b) of military importance, or (c) in areas where a tremendous # of casualties can be achieved and be known widely. An outdoor picnic in San Bernardino doesn't seem to meet any of those criteria, which leads me to speculate that the shooters may have intended to carry out their act in a different location (e.g. somewhere in LA, including Hollywood) but decided to go after the co-workers instead because he was ticked off at them.

Perhaps a similar dynamic may have taken place with Hasan in choosing to attack the military base where he was employed (granted, this is all speculation on my part).

mheslep said:
I don't think either case qualifies as terrorism by the given definition (crime, violence, endangerment, coercion), but if you want to throw the term around Occupy is a closer fit. Firearms are not in the definition.
No specific weapons are in the definition -- the weapons and the threat to use them are how you know there is violent intent.

I'd still like to know why you think the Occupy-ers are a closer fit:
Yes, but that is not an apt description of Occupy. Yes there was ample peaceful camping out in tents and discussion about how to change the world. Dont mistake that for an absence of riots, arson, and assaults on police officers which also occured. You are dismissing a great deal of violence as somehow irrelevant or smiley face no-victim, which much of it was not...
You're casting a very wide net, which doesn't provide me a way to analyze specific actions, so I chose to analyze the general tone/intent of the movement and *guessing* about what specific actions you are referring to based on my recollection of the types of things that happened. If you want me to evaluate specific actions that you have in mind, please provide the specific examples. I can't dismiss an example that hasn't been provided.
You must certainly mean *violent* illegal actions are never warranted...
Yes, but there are also non-violent actions that are not warranted. But there is no need to get into such details, since what we are discussing is violent actions.
...the several suggestions here that there had not been any legitimate grievance airing at all.
Near as I can tell, those are words you put in peoples' mouths that nobody said.

Likes StatGuy2000
In response to Astro's question in the title; This land is whose land?
added to my
OmCheeto said:
Oregon is a big state. Most here would say it's actually big enough to be two states.
comment. It appears that representative Greg Walden and I, think alike:

Lawmaker to pitch idea to join eastern parts of Oregon, Washington with Idaho [ref KATU, a Portland based TV news station]

The division on the map in the article is pretty much where I would have drawn the line.

Sensing where this was going, even before I read the above article:
OmCheeto said:
Judge sends Oregon ranchers back to prison
7 Oct 2015
...the organization decided to circulate a “Save the Hammonds” petition that has been signed by about 2,400 people.
In all honesty, I was scratching my head as to why the Hammonds were going back to prison, when I first heard the story. I probably would have signed the petition myself.

I signed a, in a Rodney Kingish spirit[1], "We the People" petition, on the 17th.

signatures required: 100,000
population of Harney country: 7,146 [US Census Bureau]
current counted signatures: 13,627 (they still haven't posted my vote...)
current signatures from Oregon: 3,793
current signatures from Portland, Oregon: 109
current signatures from Portland, Tennessee: 1​
not to difficult mathematical extrapolation of people supporting this from outside of Oregon: 9,834​

Anyways, the Oregon vs Portland numbers are interesting. 3793:109
given that "More than 46% of the state's population lives in ... the Portland metropolitan area." [wiki]

[op ed]
It's my guess that the Bundys have spoiled the show, by pissing in the pot, and now nobody wants to get near it.
[/op ed]

----------------------------
[1] Rodney King; "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids? … It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice … Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out".
  • King appealing for calm during the Los Angeles riots (May 1, 1992)

Likes jim hardy
http://www.kptv.com/story/31006727/sheriff-two-arrests-crash-connected-to-criminals-occupying-wildlife-refuge?autostart=true
BURNS, OR (KPTV) -

The Harney County sheriff said the members of an armed group that have been occupying the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge for more than two weeks are considered by law enforcement to be criminals.
Sheriff David Ward said Tuesday additional law enforcement resources have been moved toward locations "to be poised to react to any situation that may occur."
Ward said the group had pledged to leave the refuge if the community asked them to do so, but "the Bundy group continues to break its repeated promises."

Ward said he personally met with Bundy on Jan. 7 and asked him and his group to leave, but Bundy stated they would not leave.

"From that point forward, the occupiers at the refuge have been considered by law enforcement (local, state and federal) to be criminals -- and they need to vacate the refuge," a sheriff's office statement said.

http://www.kgw.com/news/rallies-in-oregon-protest-armed-occupation-of-malheur-wildlife-refuge/18817545

Oregon standoff leader attends meeting, hears chants of 'go'
http://news.yahoo.com/oregon-standoff-leader-attends-meeting-hears-chants-065757067.html
Some of the several hundred community members spoke to Bundy directly. One woman thanked him for raising awareness around issues of public lands, but told him it's time to go home to his family.
. . . .
Harney County Judge Steve Grasty took the microphone over to where Bundy sat in the bleachers and told Bundy he'd drive him wherever he wanted to go, as far as Utah. He also offered to meet with him anytime.
. . . .
Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward reiterated in a statement before the meeting that law enforcement wants the armed group to vacate the refuge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Oregon standoff leader attends meeting, hears chants of 'go'
http://news.yahoo.com/oregon-standoff-leader-attends-meeting-hears-chants-065757067.html

Wait a minute, is the news report stating that Ammon Bundy was allowed to leave the refuge to attend a meeting? Why hasn't local law enforcement or the FBI arrested him immediately on leaving the refuge? This is absurd! This man is a criminal who broke the law, and continues to break the law, and should face the consequences of his actions as any other citizen of the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back