Fdarkangel's critique of the word type

• Thread starter fdarkangel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary: WarrenIn summary, Darkangel thinks that the word "type" is incorrectly used and can cause deep misunderstandings. He believes that energy does not have a purpose and that assigning an animistic "role" to energy is ridiculous.
fdarkangel
chroot said:
fdarkangel,

You are incorrect. It is perfectly acceptable to call chemical potential, gravitational potential, sound, heat, etc. "types" of energy.

you sound too confident.
i guess, in order to categorize "things" into types, there must be a real difference (i hope you're not too pedantic and understand what i mean with "difference": an inequality between terms).
please go ahead and explain how your list of energy types are inequal; enlighten me.

edit: and if possible, could you add definitions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fdarkangel said:
you sound too confident.
i guess, in order to categorize "things", there must be a real difference (i hope you're not too pedantic and understand what i mean with "difference": an inequality between terms).
please go ahead and explain how your list of energy types are inequal; enlighten me.
I have no idea what you're asking. The difference between say, chemical potential energy and gravitational potential energy shouldn't need to be explained.

- Warren

chroot said:
I have no idea what you're asking.

i can see that.
then can you simply explain why I'm incorrect?

You told hexhunter that he was using the word "type" inappropriately. The fact is that every physicist uses the word "type" in exactly the way he used it. Since the meaning of words are essentially decided by consensus, he (and you) should use the terms physicists already use. The word "type" is perfectly acceptable.

- Warren

chroot said:
You told hexhunter that he was using the word "type" inappropriately. The fact is that every physicist uses the word "type" in exactly the way he used it. Since the meaning of words are essentially decided by consensus, he (and you) should use the terms physicists already use. The word "type" is perfectly acceptable.

- Warren

at this point, i'd like to remind how misused terms can cause deep misunderstandings.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/mass.html

oh, and btw, i remember my modern physics teacher emphasizing that the term "energy-type" causes such misunderstanings among students.

Last edited:
chroot said:
Are you... trying to teach me something?

i'm trying to remind something.
but this discussion is getting away from it's origin. i just would like to suggest that, as an admin, please consider twice before starting such discussions.

fdarkangel,

Now you're going to give me administrative advice? If I remember properly, you began this discussion with post #2.

- Warren

fdarkangel said:
i'm trying to remind something.
but this discussion is getting away from it's origin. i just would like to suggest that, as an admin, please consider twice before starting such discussions.
Wait you mean...chroot is hexhunter :wink:

i had started to gain impression that you're a pretty presumptuous character. i was not willing to say this explictly, but you're forcing me to say this.
i was trying to remind you humility, not to give an "administrative advice". but you threw away humility twice.

i still think that saying "types of energy" causes deep misunderstading, because i think a standard mp teacher with professor degree has a better understanding on this topic.

this discussion is leading to no-good, please let's not say anything more that is outside of the scope of original discussion.

fdarkangel,

You've yet to explain why you dislike the word "type" in this context, beyond parroting what your modern physics professor has said. He seems to have some pet peeve with the word, and instead prefers the word "role," which, to me, makes even less sense. Energy does not have a purpose, and assigning an animistic "role" to energy is ridiculous.

Since you want to throw credentials into the mix, I'd like to remind you I've more education than you. Enjoy your lower-division physics coursework.

- Warren

so, you prefer to insist on such time-waste. then so shall it be.

chroot said:
You've yet to explain why you dislike the word "type" in this context, beyond parroting what your modern physics professor has said. He seems to have some pet peeve with the word, and instead prefers the word "role," which, to me, makes even less sense. Energy does not have a purpose, and assigning an animistic "role" to energy is ridiculous.

if you stop insuting and emphasizing how "great" you are, i'll point you to the post #7. 1st, a parrot does not know what it's "parroting". 2nd, you're yet to explain the source of posts such as post #1. as maybe you can tell about differences between those types, "energy types". and maybe, it'll reveal who's the true parrot.

i'm not english, nor american. I'm not sure that the word "role" is the best word in english, it's just the word i could find in english.

btw, can you define "purpose"?

chroot said:
Since you want to throw credentials into the mix, I'd like to remind you I've more education than you.

i never intend to do such things. i mentioned the credentials in order to emphasize that you're not the most valuable person on the topic I've ever talked to.

fdarkangel said:
if you stop insuting and emphasizing how "great" you are, i'll point you to the post #7.
I answered your question -- the difference between different types of energy is obvious.
1st, a parrot does not know what it's "parroting".
Exactly my point. That's why I used the word 'parrot,' after all.
2nd, you're yet to explain the source of posts such as post #1. as maybe you can tell about differences between those types, "energy types". and maybe, it'll reveal who's the true parrot.
Kinetic and potential energy are physically distinct; if you really need me to explain the distinction, I'm not going to bother.
i'm not english, nor american. I'm not sure that the word "role" is the best word in english, it's just the word i could find in english.
Perhaps that's entire problem, then -- a language barrier. You seem to feel quite comfortable in telling me (a native english speaker) the best word to use in my language, when you're unsure of your own english vocabulary. I don't know what your native language is, but I would not even venture to suggest that your choice of words in that language is wrong.

Perhaps the english word 'type' means something to you that it does not mean to me due to the translation. The bottom line is that the word 'type' (or its synonym, 'form') is used by virtually all english speakers in this context, and we all know what it means.
i never intend to do such things. i mentioned the credentials in order to emphasize that you're not the most valuable person on the topic I've ever talked to.
Neither are you, of course.

- Warren

when will you give up trying to show the statements that i haven't said as if i said?

chroot said:
You seem to feel quite comfortable in telling me (a native english speaker) the best word to use in my language

i was not telling what the true term is. i was telling what the wrong term is. you may speak english well, but you're either a bad reader, or you try to show people that you're right with imaginary events.

chroot said:
Kinetic and potential energy are physically distinct; if you really need me to explain the distinction, I'm not going to bother.

you obviously won't bother. because you know that if you try to describe, both'll end up with the same thing, and you'll lose your precious "distinction", your whole arguement.

chroot said:
Exactly my point. That's why I used the word 'parrot,' after all.

at least, you seem to know yourself well.

oxford dictionary said:
type /taıp/ noun, verb
noun
1 [C] ~ (of sth) a class or group of people or things that share particular qualities or features and are part of a larger group; a kind or sort

form /f{O}{:}m; AmE f{O}{:}rm/ noun, verb
noun

WAY STH IS / LOOKS|
2 [C, U] the particular way sth is, seems, looks or is presented

and you're telling that form and type are synomous. what kind of native english speaker are you? someone who doesn't know the meaning of what s/he's saying? wait, this reminds me a definition...

btw, the word i was looking for is "form", thanks.

if I'm a parrot, you're discussing with my modern physics teacher, not me. and your "Neither are you, of course" statement disappers.
else, you're a parrot, and a liar (would you want me to look up dictionary for the word "liar"?).
in both cases, you lack humility, which makes a knowledgedable person valuable.

1. What is "Fdarkangel's critique of the word type"?

"Fdarkangel's critique of the word type" is a critical analysis of the word "type" and its usage in various contexts. It aims to uncover the underlying biases and limitations of the word and its impact on society.

2. What inspired Fdarkangel's critique of the word type?

The critique was inspired by the growing awareness of the power of language and its role in shaping our perception of the world. Fdarkangel noticed how the word "type" was often used to label and categorize people, leading to stereotyping and discrimination.

3. What are some examples of the limitations of the word type?

Some examples of the limitations of the word type include its tendency to oversimplify and generalize people, as well as its reinforcement of societal norms and expectations. It can also perpetuate harmful stereotypes and exclude individuals who do not fit into traditional categories.

4. How can we use language more consciously to avoid the negative effects of the word type?

We can use language more consciously by being aware of the words we use and their connotations. Instead of using the word "type," we can try to describe individuals in more specific and nuanced terms. We can also challenge and question the use of labels and categories in our communication.

5. What impact can "Fdarkangel's critique of the word type" have on society?

"Fdarkangel's critique of the word type" can raise awareness and start important conversations about the power of language and its impact on society. It can also encourage individuals to be more mindful of the words they use and the potential harm they can cause. Ultimately, it can help create a more inclusive and understanding society.