1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fellow Master students, what's the topic of your thesis?

1. May 8, 2005 #1
    Greetings,

I'll probably be choosing a topic for my master's thesis next week (maybe something involving the symmetries of the Born-Infeld action...), and I was curious about the work of the current/former master students here.

So, what did you all do for a master's thesis?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmmmmmmmmmmm,Born-Infeld,that stringy stuff...?Sounds deadly interesting.Well,i'm not doing my master yet,and hopefully,same time next year,will do it.I dunno what's gonna be,but i hope it will be something interesting.In our system of higher education,technically,i'm still an undergraduate,at least till September when i hope to pass all my exams and do well with the paper i should be working on.

Daniel.

4. May 8, 2005 #3
    Greets from Gent to Dimitri

I did my master thesis on the dual abelian higgs model (also called dual Landua Ginzberg model) which is a possible way out to explain quarkconfinement. This model is based on the implementation of magnetic monopoles (done by Dirac in 1948 or somewhere in that period) in QCD. It's a theoretical application of quantum field theory. Very interesting !!!

Just so you'd know, i started my phd at IMEC (in Leuven) on high k dielectrics. So , though, i was trained as a theoretical physicist, i am now working in the developments of nanotechnology. Please read my journal if you wanna know more. I must say, i don't really know what your possible topic is about. Can you explain more ? Isn't Prof Sevrin the string theory guy from Leuven ? Here in Gent, it's Prof Verschelde... He also teaches QFT, QM, GR and quantum information technology

regards
    marlon

5. May 8, 2005 #4
    Sounds cool. I think someone at the VUB did also work on the Landau-Ginzberg model in the past. Is your thesis avaible online, or could you send it to me? I'm rather interested.

Heresy!! :wink: Prof. Sevrin is the string (or brane if you will) guy from the VUB. I'm taking his QED course this semester, and if he'll have me, I'd like him to be my promotor next year.

As I understand it, the current research program he is involved in consists of modifying the Born-Infeld action (only valid for abelian gauge theories) to non-abelian gauge theories, in order to find the effective D-brane action. This will hopefully lead to a way of calculating the S-matrix for string interactions.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  6. May 8, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. May 8, 2005 #6
    Yeah, i can send you a zip-file...what's your email address ?

marlon

8. May 8, 2005 #7
  9. May 8, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. May 8, 2005 #9
    Message has been sent. let me know if you got it. I gave you two email adresses where you can reach me because the one that i used will be terminated shortly because i am no longer a member of the university of Ghent

regards
    marlon

11. May 8, 2005 #10
    Thanks Marlon.
    Rather strange that it is a .doc Over here LaTeX is the norm, almost everyone I know writes their thesis in that format. Wasn't Word extremely tedious to type it?

I skimmed over it, and I remember reading about the dualities you worked on in Zee's QFT textbook. Interesting stuff indeed...

12. May 8, 2005 #11
    That was not too bad, though the copy i printed out was written in Latex. this is just a converted file.

yes, Zee briefly mentions how magnetic monopoles can arise in QFT at gauge-breakdown points.

Enjoy the reading and feel free to ask more question

regards
    marlon

13. May 8, 2005 #12
    I'm in dexter's situation. By our standards I'm an undergrad but by US standards a graduate student.

I'll probably know the specific area by the end of this year but it'll be somewhere in the field of studying the electrical properities of solids (new materials and high Tc superconductors are studied at my uni) using different x-ray techniques or structure of solids/phase transitions in high/low temperatures. One more possibility is that it'll be a computational project on those fields too.

14. May 9, 2005 #13
    That's all? No more people doing/having done their master's here? I find that difficult to believe.

15. May 12, 2005 #14
    Hmm, had meeting to discuss master's thesisses, here's what they have at my university :

Astrophysics :

Fast rotating algol binaries
    Formation of super-heavy stars
    Synchronous rotation in close binaries
    Chemical evolution of the Milky Way

Medical Physics:

Perfusion effects in NMR imaging
    Designing a new prototype of PET scanner

Elementary Particles :

Top quark interactions at the LHC
    Optimising measurement of cross sections in semi-leptonic top-topbar interactions
    Influence of SUSY parameters on top-topbar mass-distribution
    Possible detection of Kaluza-Klein particles in the AMANDA or ICECUBE experiments.

String Theory:

Supersymmetry & geometry : NSNS fluxes
    Supersymmetry & geometry : Wilson lines in D=2 boundary superspace.
    Stringy corrections on Einstein action
    BPS configurations and fluxes

I'll probably be doing one of the SUSY & geometry ones. I have a meeting next week about. Looks like it'll be String-theory for me :biggrin:

16. May 13, 2005 #15
    If i were you, i'd go for the medical physics or elemetary particles. Just take something heavy on QM because it will leave your options open for a phd if you want to do one. Also, if you want, you will be able to convert yourself towards the industry more easily. For example, in electronics and nanotechnology, a profound knowledge of QM is required and much asked for.

regards

marlon

17. May 13, 2005 #16

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In translation,don't go for theory...:tongue2:

Daniel.

18. May 13, 2005 #17
    Not at all. GO FOR USEFUL THEORY

marlon

19. May 13, 2005 #18

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And what's useless about string theory...?:bugeye:

Daniel.

20. May 13, 2005 #19
    Well, up till now, one can ask about the use...only the future will point that out. However, my point is that many theoretical physicists think they don not have a chance in the industry. That is untrue for those who are heavily trained in QM and QFT, so instead of majoring in string theory, one will be better of majoring in stuff like photonics, quantum transport, nano-electronics, many particle physics, nuclear physics. String Theory does not fit will in this picture, though i never said that a string theory major will have no chances in persuing a career outside the string theory environment

marlon

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  21. May 13, 2005 #20

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alright,you might know better.I won't go for string theory,either,i'll probably read Zwiebach in my spare time just to satisfy my curiosity.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?