Fermion Contraction: Peskin & Shroeder Pg 63

In summary, Peskin & Shroeder discuss the notation for contractions in relation to fermion operators and the propagator. The contractions are carried out with fixed indices of the fermion operators, and the corresponding element from the matrix in the propagator is chosen. The order of the spinors does not matter as long as the spinor indices are not contracted with each other. The notation for contractions can be confusing, but it can be simplified by using equations that clarify their relationship. The proper way to write contractions in Latex is \contraction{A}{B} and the use of the ams package.
jostpuur
Directly from the Peskin & Shroeder, page 63:

[tex]
S_F(x-y) = \int\frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{i(\displaystyle{\not}p + m)}{p^2-m^2+i\epsilon} e^{-ip\cdot(x-y)}
[/tex]

I'm slightly confused with the notation with the contractions. Things like [itex]\overline{\psi}(x)\psi(y)[/itex] and [itex]\psi(x)\overline{\psi}(y)[/itex] get written carelessly although it doesn't really make sense to put psi bar on the right. On the other hand the propagator itself is a 4x4 matrix, so when I try to make sense out of this, this is the only conclusion I've succeeded to come up with: The contraction should be carried out always with fixed indexes of the fermion operators, and then we choose the corresponding element from the matrix in the propagator. That means, that when [itex]a,b\in\{1,2,3,4\}[/itex], then

[tex]
\textrm{contraction}(\psi_a(x),\overline{\psi}_b(y)) = (S_F(x-y))_{ab} = \int\frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{i(\displaystyle{\not}p +m)_{ab}}{p^2-m^2+i\epsilon} e^{-ip\cdot(x-y)}
[/tex]

Is this correct?

If it was correct, what happens when the psi bar is on the left? What is

[tex]
\textrm{contraction}(\overline{\psi}_a(x),\psi_b(y)) ?
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ah the point here is that the spinor with the bar represents the creation of a particle at the point coordinate of the spinor, while the spinor without bar stands for annihilation.
So if you interchange the bar you got to make sure the the zero-component of the coordinate of the spinor is changed as well to not violate causality :)
Hope i could help you

There's nothing wrong with the order of spinors, as long as you are taking an "outer product", that is - the spinor indices are not contracted with each other. Then both products are allowed, and your interpretation of the propogator as a matrix in "spinor" space is correct.

blechman said:
There's nothing wrong with the order of spinors, as long as you are taking an "outer product", that is - the spinor indices are not contracted with each other. Then both products are allowed, and your interpretation of the propogator as a matrix in "spinor" space is correct.

Peskin & Shroeder write things like this

[tex]
\left\{\begin{array}{l}
\langle 0|\psi(x)\overline{\psi}(y)|0\rangle\quad\quad\quad \textrm{for}\;x_0>y_0\\
-\langle 0|\overline{\psi}(y)\psi(x)|0\rangle\quad\quad\quad\textrm{for}\;x_0<y_0\\
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

I don't think that quantity is complex number for [itex]x_0<y_0[/itex] and 4x4 matrix for [itex]x_0>y_0[/itex]. That is just confusing notation for something else.

But my problem seems to be solved. When going through the lecture notes, I encountered (probably not for the first time) an equation, that said clearly that

[tex]
\textrm{contraction}(\psi_a(x_1),\overline{\psi}_b(x_2)) = -\textrm{contraction}(\overline{\psi}_b(x_2), \psi_a(x_1)).
[/tex]

This removed the need for guessing quite well.

Talking about contractions. How should they be written with latex?

i guess it´s \contraction{A}{B}

but doesn´t work on the forum i guess it needs ams package :(

[tex]
\contraction{B}{C}

[/tex]

1. What is Fermion Contraction in the context of Peskin & Shroeder's book?

Fermion contraction is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to simplify and calculate the scattering amplitudes of particles. It involves contracting fermion fields with each other according to certain rules to reduce the complexity of the equations.

2. Why is Fermion Contraction important in quantum field theory?

Fermion contraction allows us to calculate scattering amplitudes more efficiently and accurately. It also helps us understand the underlying symmetries and interactions between particles in the quantum realm.

3. How is Fermion Contraction performed in Peskin & Shroeder's book?

In Peskin & Shroeder's book, Fermion contraction is performed by using Feynman diagrams and the Feynman rules for fermions. These rules dictate how to contract fermion fields and also take into account the spin and momentum of the particles involved.

4. What are the limitations of Fermion Contraction in quantum field theory?

Fermion contraction can become increasingly complex when dealing with higher-order processes or more than two particles. In these cases, other techniques such as perturbation theory may be needed to accurately calculate the scattering amplitudes.

5. How does Fermion Contraction relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

Fermion contraction is an essential tool in the Standard Model, as it allows us to calculate the interactions between fermions and gauge bosons. These interactions are crucial in understanding the fundamental forces and particles of the Standard Model.