How High Are You After 21 Seconds on a Ferris Wheel?

• Thread starter physicsbhelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the Ferris Wheel takes 29 seconds to make one revolution, the diameter of the Ferris Wheel is forty feet, the distance from the ground to the top of the Ferris Wheel is forty-five feet, and it takes 11 seconds to reach the top. The height above the ground when you have ridden the Ferris Wheel for 21 seconds is eleven feet.
physicsbhelp
[SOLVED] Ferris Wheel Problem! PLEASE HELP!

Homework Statement

The Ferris Wheel takes 29 seconds to make one revolution.
The diameter of this Ferris Wheel is forty feet.
The distance from the ground to the top of the Ferris Wheel is forty-five feet. (That means that the distance from the ground to the bottom of the Ferris Wheel is five feet).
From your starting position (A), it takes 11 seconds to reach the top(B).
What will your height above the ground be when you have ridden the Ferris Wheel for 21 seconds?
Round the answer to the nearest whole number with units!

I did this problem and got eleven feet. Can ANYONE tell me if that is right or not?!

LOOK AT THE DIAGRAM ON THIS WEBSITE: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=728492#728492

I NEED THIS PROBLEM TODAY!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.dlt.ncssm.edu/DeConti/AdventuresInTrigWorkshop.htm#boat

this is what i am ultimately trying to solve. we are trying to find out who "gave you the prize" it is Trig. question.

These are the letters i got to unscramble but they are wrong, i know, because, in the website when it says to cross out the following letters i did but when it said 2-F's, i only had one F. so i need your help, here are the letters!:

R I C L E V E E G H A R T Y

some of these are probably wronge becuase i didn't have 2 f's to cross out but if you can unscramble these letters then i guess i am right.

Last edited by a moderator:
CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE! it would be so sweet of someone to help me! PLEASE PLEASE

Last edited:
physicsbhelp said:
CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE! it would be so sweet of someone to help me! PLEASE PLEASE

I am sorry if i sound desperate, but i kind of am haha.

like if anyone can help me w/ anything. please?

WHY hasn't anybody answered this! please! HELP ME!

No one answered because i) exclamation points, and large fonts just put people off. ii) URGENT! cries just usually tend to indicate somebody has been putting things off until the last minute and most importantly, you didn't show how you got your answer of 11 feet. The last is most important. I also got an answer of 11 feet, but not for the distance from the ground. I got that for the distance from the axis of the ferris wheel to the ground.

tan (34.5) = opposite/20
opposite side = 13.513
6.4869+5 = 11.48696 = 11 Feet

Last edited:
That's a little confusing, but yes, angle from the top is 124 degrees. That's 34 degrees below the horizontal. Ok, but I wouldn't round 34.045 to 34.5. opposite/hypotenuse is sin, not tan. That's the big mistake. Try reworking it with that. Is this an exercise or a speed contest??

Okay thank you,
no it is just a problem our teacher gave us.

okay so now can you help me unscrable this:
R, I, C, O, U, R, T, E, E, G, H, A, R, T, Y

physicsbhelp said:
Okay thank you,
no it is just a problem our teacher gave us.

okay so now can you help me unscrable this:
R, I, C, O, U, R, T, E, E, G, H, A, R, T, Y

Sorry, no can't guess. That's not really a math problem, now is it?

1. How do Ferris wheels work?

Ferris wheels work by using a large wheel with seats attached along the circumference. The wheel rotates around a central axis, allowing the seats to move up and down as the wheel turns. This creates a smooth and slow-moving experience for riders.

2. How tall are Ferris wheels?

The height of Ferris wheels can vary greatly, with some being as small as 20 feet and others reaching heights of over 500 feet. The tallest Ferris wheel in the world is the High Roller in Las Vegas, standing at 550 feet tall.

3. How fast do Ferris wheels move?

The average speed of a Ferris wheel is around 2-4 miles per hour. However, some larger Ferris wheels can reach speeds of up to 10 miles per hour.

4. How many people can fit on a Ferris wheel?

The number of people that can fit on a Ferris wheel depends on the size of the wheel and the number of seats. Smaller Ferris wheels may only hold a few dozen people, while larger ones can hold hundreds of riders at a time.

5. Are Ferris wheels safe?

Ferris wheels are generally considered safe, as they undergo regular maintenance and safety inspections. However, accidents can still occur, so it is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations when riding a Ferris wheel.