Ferroelectric materials versus Piezoelectric materials

In summary: Thanks.I can only guess a little at this one, but before application of the electric field, it is possible the polarization is somewhat random with near zero net polarization. For ferroelectric materials of the permanent magnet type, I believe they apply a somewhat weak to moderately strong external magnetic field as the magnet cools from the molten state and above the Curie temperature to below the Curie temperature, so that the permanent magnetization is ordered and in one direction, as opposed to being somewhat random throughout the material, as might occur with cooling without application of an external magnetic field.It makes sense. Thanks for the explanation but If the polarization of ferroelectric materials is near to zero before applying an electric field,
nabs16
Hello every one.

Ferroelectric materials have spantaneous polarization but i read in many articles that these ceramics are polarized by applying an electric field. Why polarize ceramics that are already polarized ?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I can only guess a little at this one, but before application of the electric field, it is possible the polarization is somewhat random with near zero net polarization. For ferroelectric materials of the permanent magnet type, I believe they apply a somewhat weak to moderately strong external magnetic field as the magnet cools from the molten state and above the Curie temperature to below the Curie temperature, so that the permanent magnetization is ordered and in one direction, as opposed to being somewhat random throughout the material, as might occur with cooling without application of an external magnetic field.

It makes sense. Thanks for the explanation but If the polarization of ferroelectric materials is near to zero before applying an electric field, what is the difference between a classical piezoelectric material (such as quartz) and a ferroelectric material ?

A piezoelectric material develops a strain (a length change) upon application of the electric field. ## \\ ## I believe some ferroelectric materials have a spontaneous polarization in the absence of an applied field. In addition, I believe in many cases they also respond very strongly to the applied field with a very large ## \chi ##, where ## P=\chi E ##. Materials that would be considered ordinary dielectrics have a smaller value of ## \chi ##.

Likes nabs16
Thanks guys ;)

Likes Charles Link
nabs16 said:
Ferroelectric materials have spantaneous polarization but i read in many articles that these ceramics are polarized by applying an electric field. Why polarize ceramics that are already polarized ?
Neutral ceramics can be polarised by physical stress. If a permanent polarisation is required then an electric field is applied during manufacture. The key term that is missing is " electret ".

Likes nabs16

1. What is the difference between ferroelectric and piezoelectric materials?

Ferroelectric materials are a type of crystalline material that exhibit spontaneous electric polarization, meaning they have a dipole moment even in the absence of an external electric field. Piezoelectric materials, on the other hand, generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress or pressure.

2. How are ferroelectric and piezoelectric materials used in technology?

Ferroelectric materials are often used in memory devices, such as ferroelectric random access memory (FeRAM) and ferroelectric non-volatile random access memory (FRAM). Piezoelectric materials are commonly used in sensors, actuators, and transducers, such as in ultrasound machines, pressure sensors, and speakers.

3. Can a material be both ferroelectric and piezoelectric?

Yes, some materials exhibit both ferroelectric and piezoelectric properties. These materials are known as ferroelectric piezoelectric materials and are commonly used in applications that require both properties, such as in ultrasound transducers and piezoelectric motors.

4. How do ferroelectric and piezoelectric materials differ in their response to electric fields?

Ferroelectric materials have a hysteresis loop in their polarization-electric field curve, meaning their polarization can be reversed by applying an external electric field. In contrast, piezoelectric materials have a linear relationship between their strain and the applied electric field, meaning their response is reversible and directly proportional to the strength of the applied field.

5. What are the main advantages of using ferroelectric materials over piezoelectric materials, and vice versa?

The main advantage of using ferroelectric materials is their ability to retain a stable polarization state, making them useful for non-volatile memory applications. Piezoelectric materials, on the other hand, have a higher sensitivity and can generate a larger electric charge, making them better suited for sensing and actuation applications.