Fetal Lamb in a Bag: Scientists Hope to Replicate for Humans

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, scientists have developed a method using plastic bags and plumbing to bring fetal lambs to term, with hopes of eventually doing the same for premature humans. This technology aims to replace the amniotic sac and placenta, and may be a step forward in neonatal intensive care. It is currently in the experimental stage and may undergo changes in the future for use in human pregnancies.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Scientists have been able to bring fetal lambs to term using plastic bags to replace their normal amniotic sacks and a bit of plumbing to replace the placenta. They hope to do this with premature humans eventually.

Not sure about the placental replacement part since I thought the placenta had some hormonal effects on the fetus, but maybe that's only at earlier stages or for the mother.

Biology news on Phys.org
For premies, maturing within the sack or outside, the placenta isn't available in either case.
This is not for embryonic development to maturity, as that I would think would be years away.
Even the "placental fluid" is not much more than a saline solution for the sack.

@256bits -
maturing within the sack or outside, the placenta isn't available in either case.
This does not make sense to me, can you please explain? They are going to supplant/replace the placenta. My take on it, anyway.

jim mcnamara said:
@256bits -

This does not make sense to me, can you please explain? They are going to supplant/replace the placenta. My take on it, anyway.
Presently neonatal intensive care for premature is through an incubation unit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonatal_intensive_care_unit
So it would be a step forward I believe, to have a placenta type care unit.
As this is a prototype and experimental, it's features would change in future use for humans, with more placental features.

Haha haha yes one step closer to:woot: !... Um oh I er yes that is very interesting:wink:

What is a "Fetal Lamb in a Bag"?

A "Fetal Lamb in a Bag" is a medical device that is used to simulate a mother's womb for a premature lamb. It consists of a plastic bag filled with amniotic fluid and attached to a machine that provides oxygen and nutrients to the lamb.

Why are scientists using "Fetal Lamb in a Bag"?

Scientists are using "Fetal Lamb in a Bag" as a way to potentially improve the survival rates of premature human infants. By replicating the womb environment, they hope to provide a safer and more natural alternative to traditional neonatal intensive care units.

How does the "Fetal Lamb in a Bag" work?

The "Fetal Lamb in a Bag" works by mimicking the conditions of a mother's womb. The lamb is placed inside the bag and connected to a machine that pumps in oxygen and nutrients. The bag is also filled with amniotic fluid to provide a protective environment for the lamb.

What are the potential benefits of using "Fetal Lamb in a Bag" for human infants?

The potential benefits of using "Fetal Lamb in a Bag" for human infants include a reduced risk of complications and infections, improved lung development, and decreased need for invasive procedures. It also allows the infant to continue developing in a similar environment to the womb, potentially leading to better long-term outcomes.

What are the potential ethical concerns surrounding "Fetal Lamb in a Bag"?

Some potential ethical concerns surrounding "Fetal Lamb in a Bag" include the use of animals for human research, the potential for the technology to be used for purposes other than saving premature infants, and the long-term effects on the infants who are raised in an artificial womb. These concerns must be carefully considered and addressed before the technology can be used in human infants.