Explaining Fg = mg: Net Force, Mass and Acceleration

• Thread starter pointintime
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, specifically in the context of the force of gravity. The participants also discuss how this relationship applies to different situations, such as calculating the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon. They clarify that 'g' is not always the same value, and that it is important to use the correct equation based on the specific situation.
pointintime

Homework Statement

we can say that the force of gravity is equal to mass times acceleration were the acceleration is equal to gravity sense gravity is an acceleration because of Newtons second law force = mass times acceleration

hence Fg = mass times acceleration
Fg = mass times gravity

Fg = mg

however Newtons second law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to it's mass times it's acceleration so what allows us to say that

Fg = mg
because certainly not for every single situation the

net force is going to equal to the force of gravity

please explain...

what allows us to say

Fg = mg

Homework Equations

net force = mass times acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say Fg, do you mean [tex]F_g [/tex]? As in the force of gravity? If not, and you mean the force of gravity multiplied by gravitational acceleration Fg = mg, then that is not correct. It's simply F=mg.

i mean in the force of gravity

If the net force on the object is not Fg, then the object's acceleration is not g, so there is no contradiction because the second law refers to the object's acceleration. g is just the "acceleration due to gravity" in the sense that it is the component of the acceleration caused by the gravitational force.

so then I'm not sure how to do this problem

Calculate the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon. The Moon's radius is about 1.74 E 6 m and its mass is 7.35 E 22 kg.

I know I just use this equation

a = r^-2 G m

were m is the mass of the moon but

Fg = r^-2 G m M

were M is the the mass of the object the moon orbits were does it go

Fg = r^-2 G m M
?

why can we just simply set this equal to Mg??

Fg = r^-2 G m M = M a

and that's how we get this

a = r^-2 G m

pointintime said:
why can we just simply set this equal to Mg??

I think I might see why you are confused. g is the acceleration due to gravity on the Earth's surface. It is different on other planets and higher in space above the Earth. g is not the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon.

Do I do it like this

net force = M a = r^-2 G m M

or

r^-2 G m M = M g

am I solving for how fast M accelerates towards the moon?

pointintime said:
r^-2 G m M = M g

If you are solving a problem on the Moon's surface, why would you use 'g', the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the Earth?

FAQ: Explaining Fg = mg: Net Force, Mass and Acceleration

1. What is the meaning of Fg = mg?

Fg = mg is the equation for calculating the force of gravity on an object. Fg represents the force of gravity, m represents the mass of the object, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is net force related to Fg = mg?

Net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. In the case of Fg = mg, the net force is equal to the force of gravity, since it is the only force acting on the object.

3. What is the role of mass in the Fg = mg equation?

The mass of an object is a measure of its inertia, or resistance to change in motion. In Fg = mg, the mass of the object determines the strength of the force of gravity acting on it.

4. Why is acceleration due to gravity represented by g in the Fg = mg equation?

The acceleration due to gravity, g, is a constant value that represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity. This value is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 near the Earth's surface.

5. Can the Fg = mg equation be applied to objects in freefall?

Yes, the Fg = mg equation can be applied to objects in freefall. In this case, the acceleration due to gravity, g, is the only force acting on the object, resulting in a net force of Fg = mg and causing the object to accelerate towards the Earth's surface at a constant rate.

Back