1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fg = mg QUESTIONED

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

we can say that the force of gravity is equal to mass times acceleration were the acceleration is equal to gravity sense gravity is an acceleration because of newtons second law force = mass times acceleration

hence Fg = mass times acceleration
    Fg = mass times gravity

Fg = mg

however newtons second law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to it's mass times it's acceleration so what allows us to say that

Fg = mg
    because certainly not for every single situation the

net force is going to equal to the force of gravity

please explain...

what allows us to say

Fg = mg

2. Relevant equations

net force = mass times acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution

Thank You!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

When you say Fg, do you mean [tex]F_g [/tex]? As in the force of gravity? If not, and you mean the force of gravity multiplied by gravitational acceleration Fg = mg, then that is not correct. It's simply F=mg.

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    i mean in the force of gravity

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

If the net force on the object is not Fg, then the object's acceleration is not g, so there is no contradiction because the second law refers to the object's acceleration. g is just the "acceleration due to gravity" in the sense that it is the component of the acceleration caused by the gravitational force.

6. Sep 12, 2009 #5
    so then I'm not sure how to do this problem

Calculate the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon. The Moon's radius is about 1.74 E 6 m and its mass is 7.35 E 22 kg.

I know I just use this equation

a = r^-2 G m

were m is the mass of the moon but

Fg = r^-2 G m M

were M is the the mass of the object the moon orbits were does it go

Fg = r^-2 G m M
    ???

why can we just simply set this equal to Mg??

Fg = r^-2 G m M = M a

and that's how we get this

a = r^-2 G m

7. Sep 12, 2009 #6

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

I think I might see why you are confused. g is the acceleration due to gravity on the Earth's surface. It is different on other planets and higher in space above the Earth. g is not the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon.

8. Sep 12, 2009 #7
    Do I do it like this

net force = M a = r^-2 G m M

or

r^-2 G m M = M g

am I solving for how fast M accelerates towards the moon?

9. Sep 12, 2009 #8

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

If you are solving a problem on the Moon's surface, why would you use 'g', the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of the Earth?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook