Why Is My Calculation for the Time to Drop an Object Incorrect?

In summary: So the tension force in the upper horizontal part of the string is twice the tension force in the lower horizontal part of the string and the total tension force is 4*m*g. Thank you for catching that!
aa_o

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-11_16-19-22.png

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The gravity pulls on m with a force Fg:
Fg = m*g
This force is directly translated into pulling the total mass m+M with an acceleration a:
(m+M)*a = Fg <=> a = Fg / (m+M) = m*g / (m+M)
with this acceleration, we can calculate the time it takes to drop the distance, d:
d = 1/2 * a * t^2 <=> t = sqrt(2*d / a)
This yields a time of t = 1.73 s, but the answers says 1.0 s.

What am doing wrong!?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-11_16-19-22.png
    upload_2017-12-11_16-19-22.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 716
Physics news on Phys.org
aa_o said:
What am doing wrong!?
Your assumption that mg is the force that pulls the total mass to the right is not correct.

Draw a free body diagram for each mass and set up Newton's second law for each mass.

Likes aa_o
Ahh, the the tension is of course decreasing as the mass, m, is accelerating. But this means that the force on the total mass is actually less than assumed above T = (g-a)*m, giving me an even longer time?
More specifically:
T = Fx = m*(g-a) = (m+M)*a <=> a = m*g / (2*m + M)
with the same solution for t as above

Last edited:
How many horizontal tension forces act on the total mass?

Does the vertical acceleration of m equal the horizontal acceleration of the system?

Likes aa_o
Okay, i see that we acutally have the tension force acting in the horizontal in 4 places, giving us:
a = 4*m*g / (5*m + M).
Is this correct? (It gives the right answer, but it could be a coincidence!).

It seems that i need to practice my FBD skills, especially when it comes to tension forces.

There are not 4 horizontal tensions acting on the (m+M) system. Also, have you taken into account that the vertical acceleration of m is different from the horizontal acceleration of the system?

Likes aa_o
TSny said:
There are not 4 horizontal tensions acting on the (m+M) system. Also, have you taken into account that the vertical acceleration of m is different from the horizontal acceleration of the system?
Eureka! Of course, both the upper and lower horizontal parts of the string contributes to the acceleration, giving a vertical acceleration that's 2 x that of the system. And then we have 2 horizontal tension forces pulling the system. This gives the same result as above, but with the right physical explanation. Thanks a lot!

OK.

Related to Why Is My Calculation for the Time to Drop an Object Incorrect?

1. What is the purpose of Feynman Exercise 9-14?

The purpose of Feynman Exercise 9-14 is to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills by solving physics problems in the style of Richard Feynman, a renowned physicist.

2. What types of problems are included in Feynman Exercise 9-14?

Feynman Exercise 9-14 includes problems related to mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. These problems range in difficulty and cover a variety of concepts in physics.

3. How should I approach solving problems in Feynman Exercise 9-14?

The best approach is to read the problem carefully, identify the given information, and then use your knowledge of physics principles and equations to solve the problem step by step. Don't be afraid to use diagrams or draw out your thought process to help you visualize the problem.

4. Are there any resources available to help with Feynman Exercise 9-14?

Yes, there are various resources available online such as video tutorials, practice problems, and solutions to help you with Feynman Exercise 9-14. You can also consult with a physics teacher or tutor for additional support.

5. How can practicing Feynman Exercise 9-14 benefit my understanding of physics?

Practicing Feynman Exercise 9-14 can improve your problem-solving skills, deepen your understanding of physics concepts, and strengthen your ability to apply these concepts to real-world situations. It also allows you to think critically and creatively, which are essential skills for any scientist.