1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fg(x) - terminology

1. May 29, 2008 #1
    It's just the terminology but im just unsure what it means
    I have 2 functions
    f(x) = ln(2x-1)
    g(x) = [tex]\frac{2}{x-3}[/tex]

the question is find the exact value of fg(4)

now what exaclty does that mean. I'm guessing we sub x = 4 into it at some point. It is asking for me to mulitply f(x) by g(x)

im not sure. can someone help me please. thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm also not sure. Normally "fg(x)" means "f(x)*g(x)". That is, to find fg(4) you substitute x= 4 into both equations, then multiply the values. That is probably what is meant.

But it is possible that what you really mean is [itex]f \circle g(x)[/itex] which means f(g(x)). That is, substitute x= 4 into g: g(4). Then, whatever number you get for g(4), substitute that into f: f(g(4)).

Surely your textbook was discussing one or the other of those?
  4. May 29, 2008 #3
  5. May 29, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, it does mean "composition of functions": f(g(x)). First find g(4)= 2/(4-3)= 2/1= 2 and then find f(2). Strictly speaking, that should be written with a little "o" between the functions.
  6. May 29, 2008 #5
    ahh cheerz i understand now, but can you explain part b. I though ^-1 means 1 over the term

ie x^(-1) = 1/x

What is part b asking really

7. May 29, 2008 #6
    No. f^(-1)(x) means the inverse function of f(x).
    So if y=f(x)=ln(2x-1), then you should solve for x and replace x by y and y by x. Then you have the inverse of f(x).
  8. May 29, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For a number, x, x-1 means 1/x. For a function, f, f-1 means the inverse function, f(f-1(x))= x, f-1(f(x))= x. It's an unfortunate conflict of symbols but too late to change it now!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?