Fibonacci sequence problem (simple?)

• Thread starter mihajovics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, we are asked to simplify the expression $\sum_{1}^{n} F_{2i} \cdot F_{2i-1}$ and are given the hint to use the identity $\sum_{0}^{n} F_{i}^{2} = F_{n} \cdot F_{n+1}$. We can manipulate the given expression by using the identity $F_{2i} = F_{2i-1} + F_{2i-2}$, and then plugging it back into the original sum. By using another identity, $F_{n+1} \cdot F_{n-1} = F_{n}^2 + (-1)^n$, we can
mihajovics

Homework Statement

Write the following expression in a simpler form:
[tex]$\sum_{1}^{n} F_{2i} \cdot F_{2i-1}$[/tex]

It doesn't have to be closed-form, probably something on the line of:
[tex]$\sum_{0}^{n} F_{i}^{2} = F_{n} \cdot F_{n+1}$[/tex]

(We define the sequence the ususal way, starting the indexing from 0 with the first element itself being 0. So the first 6 elements from i=0 to i=5 are: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5)

Homework Equations

The second equation from part 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first serious self-study effort, aimed at properly learning analysis. This problem appears in the first, introductory chapter of my book with topics like methods of proof, induction, sets. I solved all the other problems and went on to the next chapter, but this is still bugging me... :) Especially, since it's only in the introductory chapter, it's supposed to be "easy"... :)
I applied the formula in section 2. and now I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What identities do you know for Fibonacci numbers?

Since F2i = F2i-1 + F2i-2, you might try solving this for F2i-1, then plug this back into your sum to get one sum minus another.

F2i · F2i-1 = F2i · (F2i - F2i-2) = F2i · (F2i - F2(i-1))

Thx, I'll try. For example:

Since:
[tex]$F_{n-1} = F_{n} + F_{n-2}$[/tex]
Then:
[tex]$F_{2i} \cdot F_{2i-1} = F_{2i}^2 - F_{2i} \cdot F_{2i-2}$[/tex]
Now use:
[tex]$F_{n+1} \cdot F_{n-1} = F_{n}^2 + (-1)^n$[/tex]

We'll see :)

EDIT: why isn't the latex code showing properly? :(

Last edited:
mihajovics said:

EDIT: why isn't the latex code showing properly? :(
There is a quirky feature to using LaTeX on this site. After hitting "Preview Post" or "Submit Reply", you must hit your browser's "Refresh button". Apparently, some cache memory doesn't get cleared properly.

What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding ones, starting from 0 and 1. So, the sequence goes like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and so on.

What is the formula for the Fibonacci sequence?

The formula for the Fibonacci sequence is Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2, where F0 = 0 and F1 = 1. This means that each number in the sequence is the sum of the previous two numbers.

How is the Fibonacci sequence used in mathematics?

The Fibonacci sequence has many applications in mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and statistics. It is also used in computer algorithms and in modeling natural phenomena, such as plant growth and population dynamics.

What is the significance of the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is significant because it appears in many natural patterns and structures, such as the branching of trees, the arrangement of leaves on a stem, and the shape of spiral galaxies. It also has many interesting mathematical properties and has been studied for centuries by mathematicians.

What is the simplest way to solve a Fibonacci sequence problem?

The simplest way to solve a Fibonacci sequence problem is to use a loop or recursion to generate the sequence until the desired term is reached. Alternatively, you can use the formula Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2 to directly calculate the specific term in the sequence. There are also many online tools and calculators available to quickly solve Fibonacci sequence problems.