1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fibonacci sequence

1. May 20, 2009 #1
    the Fibonacci sequence is defined by

a1 = a2 = 1, a(n+2)] = an + a(n+1).

write out the first 6 terms of the sequence and prove that an = 1/[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex][ ((1+[tex]\sqrt{}5[/tex])/2)^2 - ((1-[tex]\sqrt{}5[/tex])/2)^2]

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2009 #2
    the first 6 terms are 1,1,2,3,5,8 but from here where do i go proving this... totally lost

4. May 20, 2009 #3
    wait do i have to use the first 6 terms or do you think they just want me to prove it?
    Thanks for any replies

5. May 20, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got the first 6 terms just fine. To find the general solution look for power law solutions an=r^n of your recursion relation. Put an=r^n into your recursion relation and solve for r. You should get a quadratic and two solutions. What are they?

6. May 20, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This can't be the right formula for an. It varies with n, while your formula above is a constant.

7. May 20, 2009 #6
    The characteristic equation is [tex] r^{2}-r-1=0[/tex]

The roots are [tex] \frac {1+ \sqrt{5}}{2} , \frac {1- \sqrt{5}}{2} [/tex]

The general solution is then [tex]a_{n} = \alpha (\frac {1+ \sqrt{5}}{2})^{n} + \beta ({\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2})^n [/tex]

Then use the initial conditions, namely a0=1 and a1=1 to find [tex] \alpha [/tex] and [tex] \beta [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook