Fibonacci Sequence: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the Fibonacci sequence is defined by a1 = a2 = 1, a(n+2)] = an + a(n+1). The first 6 terms are 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8. To prove that an = 1/\sqrt{5}[ ((1+\sqrt{}5)/2)^2 - ((1-\sqrt{}5)/2)^2], we can use the characteristic equation to find the general solution of the sequence and then use the initial conditions to solve for the constants \alpha and \beta.
gtfitzpatrick
the Fibonacci sequence is defined by

a1 = a2 = 1, a(n+2)] = an + a(n+1).

write out the first 6 terms of the sequence and prove that an = 1/[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex][ ((1+[tex]\sqrt{}5[/tex])/2)^2 - ((1-[tex]\sqrt{}5[/tex])/2)^2]

Physics news on Phys.org
the first 6 terms are 1,1,2,3,5,8 but from here where do i go proving this... totally lost

wait do i have to use the first 6 terms or do you think they just want me to prove it?
Thanks for any replies

gtfitzpatrick said:
wait do i have to use the first 6 terms or do you think they just want me to prove it?
Thanks for any replies

You've got the first 6 terms just fine. To find the general solution look for power law solutions an=r^n of your recursion relation. Put an=r^n into your recursion relation and solve for r. You should get a quadratic and two solutions. What are they?

gtfitzpatrick said:
the Fibonacci sequence is defined by

a1 = a2 = 1, a(n+2)] = an + a(n+1).

write out the first 6 terms of the sequence and prove that an = 1/[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex][ ((1+[tex]\sqrt{}5[/tex])/2)^2 - ((1-[tex]\sqrt{}5[/tex])/2)^2]

This can't be the right formula for an. It varies with n, while your formula above is a constant.

The characteristic equation is [tex] r^{2}-r-1=0[/tex]

The roots are [tex] \frac {1+ \sqrt{5}}{2} , \frac {1- \sqrt{5}}{2} [/tex]

The general solution is then [tex]a_{n} = \alpha (\frac {1+ \sqrt{5}}{2})^{n} + \beta ({\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2})^n [/tex]

Then use the initial conditions, namely a0=1 and a1=1 to find [tex] \alpha [/tex] and [tex] \beta [/tex]

What is the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence is a series of numbers in which each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting from 1 and 1.

Who discovered the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence was named after Leonardo Fibonacci, an Italian mathematician who introduced the sequence to Western mathematics in his book Liber Abaci in 1202.

What is the significance of the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence has many real-world applications, including in finance, computer algorithms, and nature. It also appears in many mathematical patterns and can be used to model growth and population dynamics.

What is the difference between the Fibonacci Sequence and the Golden Ratio?

The Golden Ratio is the ratio between two consecutive numbers in the Fibonacci Sequence, and it approximates to 1.618. This ratio has been considered aesthetically pleasing and has been used in art and architecture.

Is the Fibonacci Sequence infinite?

Technically, the Fibonacci Sequence is infinite, as it can continue to be extended by adding the two preceding numbers. However, in practical terms, it is limited by the capabilities of the computing system used to generate it.