Fiction hypothetical about axial rotations

In summary: It definitely makes things more clear. As for whether or not it's possible, it would definitely require a very long period of time for the planet to rotate that way. There could be many reasons why it wouldn't work- for example, if there was something blocking the path of the moon's orbit, or if the planet's rotation was too slow. There's also the possibility that it would just look wobbly, since the moon would be moving around the planet at a different speed each time.
Lapsangtea
Hello everyone!

I am a fiction writer with a hypothetical question.

For my work I have a new planet, the same size as Earth, with a moon with just a very slightly longer mean orbit (a few days). I have been reading about tidal locking which ensures that observers on the planet only see the nearest side of the moon.

However I am asking whether it is possible to have an axial rotation that appears to 'alternate' with each cycle. For instance, for moon cycle 1 around the planet we would see the near side which would gradually rotate until cycle 2, when we see the far side which would gradually rotate until cycle 3, back to the near, and for cycle 4 we're back to the far, and so on and so forth alternating between each. I'm not talking about turning the satellite around as rapidly as a coin flip, but a kind of gradual change much like the changing lunar phases. I'm also asking about this with respect to the point of view from the planet below (so I know that a tidally-locked moon is actually rotating with respect to the planet, even though it appears 'static'). I think this would mean a kind of wobbly rotation, wouldn't it?

Is this possible and what, if anything, could cause this? I understand it often takes a very, very long time for satellites to 'stabilise'. Perhaps this effect would be impossible to reproduce? Wouldn't it just mean having a faster rotation than being tidally locked??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi(gh) Tea, :welcome:

Tidal locking takes a few years so set, so you have a bit of artistic freedom there :smile:

How about 3:2 tidal locking, like Mercury? Opposite side to Sun on each orbit.

BvU said:
Hi(gh) Tea

Ahahaha!
Thank you for pointing out the Mercury example as well.

What is axial rotation and why is it important?

Axial rotation is the movement of a celestial body, such as a planet, around its own axis. It is important because it determines the length of a day on that celestial body and also affects its climate and seasons.

How does axial rotation differ among different celestial bodies?

Axial rotation can differ in terms of speed, direction, and tilt. For example, Earth rotates at a speed of approximately 1670 km/h, while Jupiter rotates at a much faster speed of around 45,000 km/h. Additionally, the direction of rotation can be either prograde (counterclockwise) or retrograde (clockwise). The tilt of a celestial body's axis can also vary, resulting in different seasonal patterns.

What would happen if Earth's axial rotation suddenly stopped?

If Earth's axial rotation suddenly stopped, the length of a day would become extremely long, resulting in extreme temperature differences between day and night. This would also have significant impacts on Earth's climate, ocean currents, and wind patterns. Additionally, the lack of rotation would affect Earth's magnetic field, potentially exposing it to harmful solar radiation.

Can axial rotation be affected by external forces?

Yes, axial rotation can be affected by external forces such as gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, collisions with large objects, and changes in mass distribution within the body. These external forces can cause changes in the speed, direction, and tilt of a celestial body's rotation.

Is there a relationship between axial rotation and the habitability of a planet?

Yes, axial rotation can play a significant role in determining the habitability of a planet. A stable and moderate axial rotation allows for a stable climate and regular seasons, which are important for supporting life. However, extreme axial rotations can lead to harsh and unpredictable environments, making it difficult for life to thrive.