Field and Potential of 3 charges conceptual problem

In summary, the conversation discussed the electric field and potential at points along the positive y-axis due to a system of one positive and two negative charges. Using Coulomb's Law, the field was calculated and it was determined that the x-component of the field is zero. To find the y-component, trigonometry was used to break down the contributions from the negative charges. The potential was then discussed as a simpler scalar value, which can be used to obtain the electric field with a gradient operator. The potential was calculated and it was noted that the chain rule must be used when deriving the y-component of the field.
mitleid
One positive (+2q) and two negative (-q) charges are arranged as displayed in figure 1. Calculate electric field E and electric potential P at points along the poitive y-axis as functions of their coordinate y. What is the direction of E at those points? In your results, does y-component Ey of the field satisfy Ey = -dP/dy? Is it supposed to satisfy?

figure1.jpg

Coulomb's Law
E = ke*q/r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

First of all, the x-component of the field at any point along the y-axis is zero, since -q(-) and -q(+) cancel out one another, and 2q provides no field in the x-direction.

I know the field at any point will be equal to the field from 2q (positive y) minus the two y-components from the other two particles (negative y). The contribution from the positive particle is simple.

Ey(+) = ke(2q/y[tex]^{2}[/tex])

The other contributions require a little trigonometry, which I'm hoping I've done correctly..

Assuming r is equal to the distance from -q to y (hypotenuse), r[tex]^{2}[/tex] = y[tex]^{2}[/tex] + a[tex]^{2}[/tex]. Therefor E(-) = Ke(-2q/y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+a[tex]^{2}[/tex]).

Now I have to break this down to find the y-component for E(-) which (I think) is just :

Ey(-) = sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]*E(-)

Since the ultimate goal here is to define two functions, should I define sin[tex]\alpha[/tex] in terms of y for integration purposes? Could I say sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]= y/r = y/(y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+a[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]? Oof, things are getting rusty...

My gut says I will have to integrate the equations for Ey(+) and Ey(-), and the difference between them will be my function for the field. I haven't really started at the potential equation yet... figured I would check to see if I'm headed the right direction first. Any advice?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's much easier the other way around. Obtain an expression for the potential, which is simpler to work with being a scalar.

You can then obtain the electric field with a gradient operator (in other words Ex=-dV/dx Ey=-dV/dy, etc. (partial derivatives)).

Potential = Ke (q/r), but r = [tex]\sqrt{[/tex]y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+a[tex]^{2}[/tex] for the two negative charges.

So will the total P be Ke(2q/y) + Ke(-2q/[tex]\sqrt{[/tex]y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+a[tex]^{2}[/tex])?

When I derive this I get something like Ke(dq/y[tex]^{2}[/tex]) -Ke(dq/2(y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+a[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{3/2}[/tex])

I see! This is the same as Ey with substituted sin like I was asking. The only issue I see is when I derived I got a 2 in the denominator...

Don't forget the chain rule... :wink:

hahah... I can't help it, my mind refuses to retain calculus methods.

What is meant by "Field and Potential of 3 charges conceptual problem"?

The "Field and Potential of 3 charges conceptual problem" refers to a physics problem that involves three charged particles and their interactions with each other, specifically in terms of electric fields and potentials.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around a charged particle where the particle's electric force can affect other charged particles.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that a particle has due to its position or configuration. In the context of electric charges, potential energy is related to the work required to move a charged particle from one point to another in an electric field.

How do you calculate the electric field of 3 charges?

The electric field at a point in space due to three charges can be calculated using the superposition principle, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields produced by each charge at that point.

What is the relationship between electric field and potential?

The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential. In other words, the direction of the electric field is in the direction of decreasing potential. This relationship is described by the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator.