1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field and Potential of 3 charges conceptual problem

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    One positive (+2q) and two negative (-q) charges are arranged as displayed in figure 1. Calculate electric field E and electric potential P at points along the poitive y-axis as functions of their coordinate y. What is the direction of E at those points? In your results, does y-component Ey of the field satisfy Ey = -dP/dy? Is it supposed to satisfy?

Coulomb's Law
    E = ke*q/r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

First of all, the x-component of the field at any point along the y-axis is zero, since -q(-) and -q(+) cancel out one another, and 2q provides no field in the x-direction.

I know the field at any point will be equal to the field from 2q (positive y) minus the two y-components from the other two particles (negative y). The contribution from the positive particle is simple.

Ey(+) = ke(2q/y[tex]^{2}[/tex])

The other contributions require a little trigonometry, which I'm hoping I've done correctly..

Assuming r is equal to the distance from -q to y (hypotenuse), r[tex]^{2}[/tex] = y[tex]^{2}[/tex] + a[tex]^{2}[/tex]. Therefor E(-) = Ke(-2q/y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+a[tex]^{2}[/tex]).

Now I have to break this down to find the y-component for E(-) which (I think) is just :

Ey(-) = sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]*E(-)

Since the ultimate goal here is to define two functions, should I define sin[tex]\alpha[/tex] in terms of y for integration purposes? Could I say sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]= y/r = y/(y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+a[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]? Oof, things are getting rusty...

My gut says I will have to integrate the equations for Ey(+) and Ey(-), and the difference between them will be my function for the field. I haven't really started at the potential equation yet... figured I would check to see if I'm headed the right direction first. Any advice?
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    It's much easier the other way around. Obtain an expression for the potential, which is simpler to work with being a scalar.

You can then obtain the electric field with a gradient operator (in other words Ex=-dV/dx Ey=-dV/dy, etc. (partial derivatives)).
  4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    Potential = Ke (q/r), but r = [tex]\sqrt{[/tex]y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+a[tex]^{2}[/tex] for the two negative charges.

So will the total P be Ke(2q/y) + Ke(-2q/[tex]\sqrt{[/tex]y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+a[tex]^{2}[/tex])?

When I derive this I get something like Ke(dq/y[tex]^{2}[/tex]) -Ke(dq/2(y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+a[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{3/2}[/tex])

I see! This is the same as Ey with substituted sin like I was asking. The only issue I see is when I derived I got a 2 in the denominator...
  5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
    Don't forget the chain rule... :wink:
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    hahah... I can't help it, my mind refuses to retain calculus methods.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?