Options for Careers in Physics: Minoring in Math/CS?

In summary, the conversation discussed options for employment after pursuing a degree in Physics. The most promising fields were identified as condensed matter, medical physics, and biophysics. The importance of following personal interests rather than solely considering economic factors was also mentioned. Additionally, the conversation touched on hot fields such as quantum optics and nanotechnology, but advised caution in chasing after the next big thing. The importance of choosing a field with long-term stability was also mentioned.
GTdan
I am currently pursuing a degree in Physics and was wondering what would further my chances and options in employment after graduation. What could I specialize in that is the most promising for me right now and would a minor in Math or Computer Science be good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both minors are good. Condesed matter is THE FIELD. That's where the majority of research takes place. As for employement goes medical physics and biophysics are hot fields. But you should go with whatever interests you the most. You probably won't archieve anything in a field you choose purely on a economical basis.

Yeah, but it's hard to decide if you don't know a lot of the fields available. Thanks for the info. Are there any hot fields involving optics/robotics/nanotech/etc?

Quantum optics is big and so is nanotech. Nanoparticles, nanotubes and so on have facinating properities that haven't been fully researched yet. But be careful if you decide to go after "the next big thing" because it might end up like the IT field with an overload of experts but little work to do.

I should probably go into a field that I know will never die then. Unless I want to gamble my future for riches and glory but I am leaning toward the former. :smile:

1. What career options are available for someone who minors in math and computer science while majoring in physics?

There are many potential career paths for someone with a minor in math and computer science in addition to a major in physics. Some of these options include data science, software development, financial analysis, research and development in various industries, and teaching at the high school or college level.

2. How can a minor in math and computer science complement a major in physics?

A minor in math and computer science can provide a strong foundation in quantitative skills, problem-solving, and data analysis, which are all essential in the field of physics. It can also broaden your skill set and make you more competitive in the job market by showing your versatility and ability to approach problems from multiple angles.

3. Are there any specific industries or fields that value a minor in math and computer science for a physics major?

Many industries and fields value a minor in math and computer science for a physics major, including technology, finance, engineering, data science, and research. These industries often require a combination of strong analytical and mathematical skills, making a minor in math and computer science a valuable asset.

4. Can a minor in math and computer science help with graduate school applications for physics?

Yes, a minor in math and computer science can be beneficial for graduate school applications in physics. Many graduate programs in physics require strong quantitative skills, and a minor in math and computer science can demonstrate your proficiency in these areas. It can also make you stand out among other applicants and showcase your ability to handle complex problems.

5. Is it common for physics majors to minor in math and computer science?

It is becoming increasingly common for physics majors to minor in math and computer science. These subjects are closely related and can enhance a physics major's understanding and skills in their field. Additionally, many universities offer structured programs or encourage students to pursue a minor in math and computer science alongside a physics major.