Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fields that are also Manifolds

1. Jan 16, 2015 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone know of fields (with additional structure/properties) other than either ##\mathbb R, \mathbb C ## that are "naturally" manifolds?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2015 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a comment that we could look at the two as groups and then the issue is whether these are Lie groups.

4. Jan 18, 2015 #3

lavinia

Science Advisor

Every Lie group is a manifold - in fact a differentiable manifold. I dont think there are any other fields that are a Euclidean space.

5. Jan 18, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, thanks, that is where I was going with the comment. I don't know if there are similar results for fields; I was actually thinking of finite-dimensional vector spaces as manifolds, given that an f.d vector space over a field ##\mathbb F ## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb F^n ##

6. Jan 19, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hint: every "Lie field" must also be a commutative Lie group. And the connected commutative Lie groups are exactly of the form ##S^1\times ... \times S^1\times \mathbb{R}^n##.

More generally, you could be interested in topological fields. It turns out that the only connected, locally compact fields are ##\mathbb{R}## and ##\mathbb{C}##, but this is a tad more difficult to prove than the Lie case.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. Jan 23, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean that the restriction of the Lie field to the additive (Abelian) group is a Lie group? And aren't ##S^3, S^7 ## also connected, commutative Lie groups? EDIT: Never mind, these are not Abelian.

8. Jan 23, 2015 #7

lavinia

Science Advisor

they are not commutative

9. Jan 23, 2015 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I just remembered and edited, sorry.

10. Jan 23, 2015 #9

lavinia

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook