Figuring out what image distance (lens and mirror) formula to use?

In summary, there are two derived equations from the given 1/f=1/d0+1/di, with the first one being 1/di=1/d0-1/f and the second one being di=d0(f)/d0-f. However, the first one may be incorrect as the right-hand side could be reversed. The second one is just a re-arrangement of the first equation and can be solved by getting 1/di on the left and using algebraic operations. It is important to focus on understanding the underlying physics rather than memorizing the different forms of the equations for different situations.
Clomo4star
I was practicing homework and I came across these two derived equations from 1/f=1/d0+1/di
1st one 1/di=1/d0-1/f
2nd one di=d0(f)/d0-f
How do distinguish which one to use? and how did they get that derivation for the 2nd equation?

Science news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry about memorizing the different forms of the equations to use for which situation, focus on understanding the physics.

Note - the second one is just what happens to the lensmakers formula if you solve it for di. The first one is incorrect.

Clomo4star said:
I was practicing homework and I came across these two derived equations from 1/f=1/d0+1/di

1st one 1/di=1/d0-1/f

Are you sure the right-hand side wasn't reversed, that is,

$$\frac{1}{d_i} = \frac{1}{f} - \frac{1}{d_o}$$

2nd one di=d0(f)/d0-f

This is just a re-arrangement of your first equation. It's good algebra practice. First, get the 1/di all by itself on the left as in my equation above. Can you see where to go from there? (hint: how do you add or subtract fractions?)

Oh yeah sorry oops I was just wondering about the 2nd one.

No worries - did you have a go at the derivation yet? How did you get on?

1. What is the difference between the lens and mirror formula for calculating image distance?

The lens formula (1/f = 1/u + 1/v) is used to calculate the image distance (v) when an object is placed in front of a lens. The mirror formula (1/f = 1/u + 1/v) is used to calculate the image distance (v) when an object is placed in front of a mirror. The main difference is that the lens formula applies to lenses, while the mirror formula applies to mirrors.

2. How do I know which formula to use for a specific situation?

To determine which formula to use, you first need to identify whether the object is placed in front of a lens or a mirror. If it is a lens, you would use the lens formula. If it is a mirror, you would use the mirror formula. Additionally, you would also need to know the focal length (f) of the lens or mirror in order to plug it into the formula.

3. Can both formulas be used for any type of lens or mirror?

Yes, both formulas can be used for any type of lens or mirror, as long as the object is placed in front of the lens or mirror. However, for complex or compound lenses or mirrors, the formulas may need to be modified to take into account the different focal lengths of each individual component.

4. Are there any other factors that may affect which formula to use?

Yes, there are a few other factors that may affect which formula to use. These include the position of the object (whether it is placed on the principal axis or not), the distance of the object from the lens or mirror (u), and the type of image being formed (real or virtual).

5. Is there a way to verify if the calculated image distance is accurate?

Yes, there are a few ways to verify the accuracy of the calculated image distance. One way is to compare it to the actual image distance measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Another way is to use the magnification formula (M = -v/u) to calculate the magnification of the image and compare it to the actual magnification observed. If the calculated image distance and magnification match the actual values, then the calculated image distance is likely accurate.