Figuring out what image distance (lens and mirror) formula to use?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Clomo4star
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula Image Mirror
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Clomo4star
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I was practicing homework and I came across these two derived equations from 1/f=1/d0+1/di
1st one 1/di=1/d0-1/f
2nd one di=d0(f)/d0-f
How do distinguish which one to use? and how did they get that derivation for the 2nd equation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry about memorizing the different forms of the equations to use for which situation, focus on understanding the physics.

Note - the second one is just what happens to the lensmakers formula if you solve it for di. The first one is incorrect.
 
Clomo4star said:
I was practicing homework and I came across these two derived equations from 1/f=1/d0+1/di

1st one 1/di=1/d0-1/f

Are you sure the right-hand side wasn't reversed, that is,

$$\frac{1}{d_i} = \frac{1}{f} - \frac{1}{d_o}$$

2nd one di=d0(f)/d0-f

This is just a re-arrangement of your first equation. It's good algebra practice. First, get the 1/di all by itself on the left as in my equation above. Can you see where to go from there? (hint: how do you add or subtract fractions?)
 
Oh yeah sorry oops I was just wondering about the 2nd one.
 
No worries - did you have a go at the derivation yet? How did you get on?