Filling up a tank with a liquid that has an insoluble, inert gas insid

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving an ideal gas and liquid volume in a tank. The goal is to find the pressure in the tank as a function of the liquid volume. The ideal gas law is used to express the pressure in the gas and find the final liquid volume. The final part involves performing a mass balance on the liquid, which may not be possible due to an isothermal problem. The conversation also includes an alternative method for obtaining the desired results.
member 392791

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt at the solution has been attached, I'm up to part C on this though, so I haven't attempted d or f. I'll get to those as soon as part c is clear as well as A and B.

I don't understand how doing a gas phase mass balance will help, and I'm not even sure how to perform a mass balance on the gas, but I did attempt it.

I'm not sure if I'm doing in the right direction with this problem

Attachments

• Problem 2.8.pdf
    40.7 KB · Views: 528
  • Problem 2.8 attempt.pdf
    229.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like the bottom of your page of calculations got cut off.

Woopydalan,

Your assessment is right. There is no reason to do a mass balance on the gas. You are asked to find the pressure in the tank as a function of the liquid volume. Let V be the liquid volume. Then the volume of the gas is V0-V. You can then use the ideal gas law to express the pressure in the gas as a function of the liquid volume. You can also use this equation to find the final liquid volume.

For the last part, since you don't know the proportionality constant between the liquid flow rate and the pressure difference, just call it k:

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=k(p_{in}-p)[/tex]

Substitute your equation for p in terms of V into this relationship.

How does this look?

Also, here is my attempt at part d and e. Part E says to perform a mass balance on the liquid, is that even possible?

Suppose this was a test question, since I never did the mass balances I would look a lot of credit I assume, but maybe my professor made a typo or doesn't know that you can't mass balance it??

Attachments

• 2.8 attempt 2.pdf
    227 KB · Views: 200
  • 2.8 attempt part d and e.pdf
    232.6 KB · Views: 239
Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is an isothermal problem, let's lose the nRT. So, if V = V(t) is the volume of liquid in the tank at time t, the volume of gas in the tank at time t is V0-V. From the ideal gas law:
[tex]P(V_0-V)=P_0V_0=P_{in}(V_0-V_f)[/tex]
where Vf is the final volume of liquid in the tank. From the above equation, you get:
[tex]V_f=V_0\left(1-\frac{P_0}{P_{in}}\right)[/tex]
and
[tex]P=\frac{P_0V_0}{(V_0-V)}[/tex]
Since
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=k(P_{in}-P)[/tex]
we can substitute for P and obtain:
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=k\left(P_{in}-\frac{P_0V_0}{(V_0-V)}\right)[/tex]

I believe this is the relationship they were looking for for part e. Some of these results are equivalent to what you already obtained in your attachments. I just wanted to demonstrate an easier way of getting the results.

Chet

Likes 1 person

1. What is an insoluble, inert gas?

An insoluble, inert gas is a gas that is unable to dissolve in a liquid and is chemically unreactive. Examples of inert gases include helium, neon, and argon.

2. Why is it important to know if a liquid has an insoluble, inert gas inside?

It is important to know if a liquid has an insoluble, inert gas inside because it can affect the properties and behavior of the liquid. The presence of an inert gas can also impact the safety of handling and storing the liquid.

3. How can you determine if a liquid has an insoluble, inert gas inside?

One way to determine if a liquid has an insoluble, inert gas inside is by performing a gas solubility test. This involves exposing the liquid to a pressurized gas and observing if there is any change in the liquid's appearance or properties.

4. What is the process for filling up a tank with a liquid that has an insoluble, inert gas inside?

The process for filling up a tank with a liquid that has an insoluble, inert gas inside will depend on the specific liquid and gas being used. Generally, the liquid is first added to the tank, followed by pressurizing the tank with the inert gas. Careful monitoring and safety precautions should be taken during this process.

5. Are there any safety concerns when filling up a tank with a liquid that has an insoluble, inert gas inside?

Yes, there are safety concerns when filling up a tank with a liquid that has an insoluble, inert gas inside. The pressurization process can be hazardous if not performed correctly, and there may also be risks associated with handling the liquid and gas. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and have proper training when handling these substances.