1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final angle speed?

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    I am trying to do a pratice test and I am stuck on this problem.
    a disk of radius r=0.5m,mass m=0.25kg has an initial angular speed of w=23rad/s.assume a torque of 0.33Nm is applied against the rotation for an angular distance of 20 rad. what is the final angular speed?
    thanks for any help.:surprised :surprised :bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you tried so far? Do you know how torque relates to angular acceleration?

4. Dec 12, 2005 #3
    distance?

I am getting thrown off by the 20 rad distance. I thought you just find the two torques and add them ,one being neg and the other pos . I dont know what to do with the distance?:grumpy: I am useing the formula t=mr^2*tnet/I thanks

5. Dec 12, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Two torques? I only see one torque in your statement of the problem.

You should recognize that the torque is related to angular acceleration:

[tex]\tau = - I \alpha[/tex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the angular acceleration and I use the negative sign to indicate the torque "is applied against the rotation."

It follows that [itex]\omega = \omega_0 - (\tau/I) t[/itex] and

[tex]\theta = \theta_0 + \omega_0 t + \frac {1}{2} \frac {\tau}{I} t^2[/tex]

and you should be able to take it from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?