Final Angular Speed: 0.5m, 0.25kg, 23rad/s, 0.33Nm

In summary, a disk with a radius of 0.5m and mass of 0.25kg has an initial angular speed of 23rad/s and experiences a torque of 0.33Nm applied against its rotation for an angular distance of 20 rad. The final angular speed can be found using the formula \omega = \omega_0 - (\tau/I) t and the relationship \tau = - I \alpha, where \alpha is the angular acceleration.
wholf09
I am trying to do a pratice test and I am stuck on this problem.
a disk of radius r=0.5m,mass m=0.25kg has an initial angular speed of w=23rad/s.assume a torque of 0.33Nm is applied against the rotation for an angular distance of 20 rad. what is the final angular speed?
thanks for any help. :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? Do you know how torque relates to angular acceleration?

distance?

I am getting thrown off by the 20 rad distance. I thought you just find the two torques and add them ,one being neg and the other pos . I don't know what to do with the distance? I am useing the formula t=mr^2*tnet/I thanks

Two torques? I only see one torque in your statement of the problem.

You should recognize that the torque is related to angular acceleration:

[tex]\tau = - I \alpha[/tex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the angular acceleration and I use the negative sign to indicate the torque "is applied against the rotation."

It follows that [itex]\omega = \omega_0 - (\tau/I) t[/itex] and

[tex]\theta = \theta_0 + \omega_0 t + \frac {1}{2} \frac {\tau}{I} t^2[/tex]

and you should be able to take it from there.

Related to Final Angular Speed: 0.5m, 0.25kg, 23rad/s, 0.33Nm

1. What is the equation for final angular speed?

The equation for final angular speed is ωf = ωi + αt, where ωf is the final angular speed, ωi is the initial angular speed, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time interval.

2. How do you calculate final angular speed with given values?

To calculate the final angular speed, you can use the equation ωf = ωi + αt and plug in the given values of ωi, α, and t. In this case, the equation would be ωf = 23rad/s + (0.33Nm/0.25kg) * 0.5m = 24.32rad/s.

3. What is the unit of final angular speed?

The unit of final angular speed is radians per second (rad/s).

4. How does the mass affect the final angular speed?

The mass does not directly affect the final angular speed. However, it does affect the angular acceleration, which in turn affects the final angular speed. In this case, a higher mass would result in a lower angular acceleration and a lower final angular speed.

5. Can final angular speed be negative?

Yes, final angular speed can be negative. This indicates a reverse direction of rotation compared to the initial angular speed. However, in this case, the given value of 23rad/s is positive, indicating a counterclockwise rotation.