Find Final Voltage of Parallel Capacitors

In summary, when two capacitors of 34.0 μF and 125 μF, charged to 126 μC and 250 μC respectively, are attached in parallel, the final voltage across the two plates is 2.36 V. The concept of initial voltage is not applicable in this scenario due to the parallel connection of the capacitors.
pelzerni

Homework Statement

Two capacitors of 34.0 μF and 125 μF are separately charged to 126 μC and 250 μC, respectively. They are then attached in parallel so that the + plate of one goes to the - plate of the other, and vice versa. Determine the final voltage across the two plates.

Homework Equations

C=Q/Vc

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the change in voltage by adding Q1 and Q2 and then dividing by the sum of C1 and C2. (126+250)/(34+125)=2.36 V. How do I find the initial voltage so that I can get the final voltage?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note how the 2 caps are attached to each other. "Initial voltage" does not seem like a relevant concept.

To find the initial voltage, you can use the formula V=Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge, and C is the capacitance. In this case, you can use the values of Q1 and Q2 and the respective capacitance values of C1 and C2 to find the initial voltage for each capacitor. Once you have the initial voltage for each capacitor, you can then use the formula V=Q/C to find the final voltage across the two plates. The final voltage will be the same for both capacitors since they are in parallel.

1. What is the formula for finding the final voltage of parallel capacitors?

The formula for finding the final voltage of parallel capacitors is Vf = (C1V1 + C2V2 + ... + CnVn) / (C1 + C2 + ... + Cn), where Vf is the final voltage, C1-Cn are the capacitance values, and V1-Vn are the initial voltages of the capacitors.

2. How do I determine the capacitance values of parallel capacitors?

To determine the capacitance values of parallel capacitors, you can either calculate them using the formula C = Q/V, where Q is the charge and V is the voltage, or you can measure them using a multimeter.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel capacitors?

In series capacitors, the capacitors are connected end-to-end, sharing the same charge and resulting in a total capacitance that is less than each individual capacitor. In parallel capacitors, the capacitors are connected side by side, each having the same voltage across them, resulting in a total capacitance that is equal to the sum of each individual capacitor.

4. Can I combine capacitors with different capacitance values in parallel?

Yes, you can combine capacitors with different capacitance values in parallel. The total capacitance will be the sum of the individual capacitances.

5. Why is it important to find the final voltage of parallel capacitors?

Finding the final voltage of parallel capacitors is important because it determines the overall voltage across the capacitors. This is important in circuits to ensure that the voltage remains within safe operating limits and to accurately calculate the energy stored in the capacitors.