Find a complex number from differential equations.

In summary: I think the problem is just asking you to express each of the solutions in the form given separately, before you get to the step of writing down with the general solution.It was just the question was phrased:"Find complex number \lambda such that e\lambdat is a solution to the equation (see above). Express this solution in the form (see above) and give the values of real numbers A and B"Just that seemed like there was one :/y = e^{-2t} (C(\cos(it) + i \sin(it)) + D(\cos(-it) + i \sin(-it)))
tomeatworld

Homework Statement

Find complex number [tex]\lambda[/tex] such that e[tex]\lambda[/tex]t solves
[tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}[/tex] + 4[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] + 5y = 0

Express this solution in the form eat(cos(bt) + i sin(bt))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first part is fine, using [tex]\lambda[/tex]2 + 4[tex]\lambda[/tex] + 5 = 0 to get values of [tex]\lambda[/tex] at -2[tex]\pm[/tex]i. From here, I've been taught to use:

y = Ae[tex]\lambda[/tex]1t + Be[tex]\lambda[/tex]2t but this time, it doesn't help get to the required form.

Using what I've mention, I can get to A=-2 but finding B seems to be a mystery. Any help greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you aware of Euler's identity?
[tex]
e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x
[/tex]

I am. Converting to (and from) polar form. My attempt went as far as:

y = [tex]Ce^{-2t+it} + De^{-2t-it}[/tex]
y = [tex]e^{-2t}(Ce^{it}+De^{-it}[/tex])

That's how I got to A=-2 but from here:

y =[tex]e^{-2t}[/tex] (C(cos(it) + i sin(it)) + D(cos(-it) + i sin(it)))

and from there, getting a value for the B in question is eluding me.
Note: I've changed the constants in the equation so they don't clash with the required values.

I think the problem is just asking you to express each of the solutions in the form given separately, before you get to the step of writing down with the general solution.

it was just the question was phrased:
"Find complex number [tex]\lambda[/tex] such that e[tex]\lambda[/tex]t is a solution to the equation (see above). Express this solution in the form (see above) and give the values of real numbers A and B"
Just that seemed like there was one :/

[tex]
y = e^{-2t} (C(\cos(it) + i \sin(it)) + D(\cos(-it) + i \sin(-it)))
[/tex]

Note the following:

[tex]
\cos -x = \cos x
[/tex]
[tex]
\sin -x = - sin x
[/tex]

So...

[tex]
y = e^{-2t}[ (C+D) \cos (it) + (C -D) \sin(it)]
[/tex]

We can let C+D and C-D be constant by themselves, say K and M
[tex]
y = e^{-2t}( K \cos (it) + M \sin(it))
[/tex]
This is all just to make it pretty and for future problems. For this particular problem, all that you needed to know was that sine was odd and cosine even.
Thus, the b value is, of course, one.

i see! right, so maybe a quick sketch of sine and cosine graphs would have cleared this up for me! I'll remember that in future! Thanks a load for all the help!

tomeatworld said:
I am. Converting to (and from) polar form. My attempt went as far as:

y = [tex]Ce^{-2t+it} + De^{-2t-it}[/tex]
y = [tex]e^{-2t}(Ce^{it}+De^{-it}[/tex])

That's how I got to A=-2 but from here:

y =[tex]e^{-2t}[/tex] (C(cos(it) + i sin(it)) + D(cos(-it) + i sin(it)))
No! [itex]e^{it}= cos(t)+ i sin(t)[/itex], not [itex]e^{it}= cos(it)+ i sin(it)[/itex]

[tex]y= e^{-2t}(C e^{it}+ De^{-it})= e^{-2t}(Ccos(t)+ Ci sin(t)+ D cos(-t)+ Di sin(-t))[/tex]
Now, cos(-t)= cos(t) and sin(-t)= -sin(t) so this is
[tex]y= e^{-2t}(C cos(t)+ Ci sin(t)+ D cos(t)- Di sin(t))= e^{-2t}((C+D)cos(t)+ (C-D)i sin(t))[/tex]

and from there, getting a value for the B in question is eluding me.

Note: I've changed the constants in the equation so they don't clash with the required values.

Of course. Sorry, slip of the keyboard ;)

1. What are differential equations used for in finding complex numbers?

Differential equations are mathematical tools used to model and describe the behavior of complex systems. They are often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to predict how a system will change over time, and can be solved to find the values of complex numbers that satisfy the equation.

2. How do you convert a differential equation into a complex number?

To find a complex number from a differential equation, you first need to solve the equation by separating the real and imaginary parts. This will give you a system of equations, which can then be solved to find the values of the complex number.

3. Can any differential equation be solved to find a complex number?

No, not all differential equations have solutions that can be expressed as complex numbers. Some may only have real number solutions, while others may not have any solutions at all. It depends on the specific equation and the initial conditions given.

4. Are there different methods for finding complex numbers from differential equations?

Yes, there are various methods for solving differential equations and finding complex numbers, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using differential operators. The method used will depend on the type of equation and the desired outcome.

5. Can complex numbers be used in real-world applications?

Yes, complex numbers have many applications in science and engineering, such as in electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used in computer graphics and image processing. Additionally, complex numbers have been used to describe and understand natural phenomena, such as fluid dynamics and quantum entanglement.