Find a Polynomial Function of Degree 5 with Roots: 2, √7, 5i, and -5i

• Thread starter Mr. Mathmatics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary: Since you need to come up with two more zeroes, and the conjugate of (x - 5i) needs to be one of them (assuming your polynomial is to have real coefficients), use the conjugate of (x - sqrt(7)) as the other zero and it should be a little cleaner when you multiply.
Mr. Mathmatics

Homework Statement

Find a Polynomial function of degree 5 whose zeros are: 2, radical 7, and 5i

Homework Equations

Multiplying roots

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, well it's my first time at these forums so just following the template given. Thanks for any help by the way I'm just so confused.

I know that being given an imaginary number makes another root -5i automatically but the polynomial is a degree 5 with 5 roots. So my roots are (2, radical 7, 5i and -5i) I only have 4 and I don't really know any way to find the 5th.

I've already multiplied 5i and -5i to get one part of the polynomial but without the 5th root, I just can't finish. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just because a polynomial has 5i as a root doesn't mean that it must also have -5i as a root.

e.g. f(x) = x - 5i is a perfectly good polynomial function.

I don't see anything in your statement of the problem that requires those to be the only roots of your polynomial, or that they have to have multiplicity one.

Did you miss something in the question? i.e. the coefficient of the polynomial is restricted to real interger ...

Hurkyl; said:
Just because a polynomial has 5i as a root doesn't mean that it must also have -5i as a root.

e.g. f(x) = x - 5i is a perfectly good polynomial function.

I don't see anything in your statement of the problem that requires those to be the only roots of your polynomial, or that they have to have multiplicity one.

chanvincent; said:
Did you miss something in the question? i.e. the coefficient of the polynomial is restricted to real interger ...
chanvincent: I'm pretty sure she wants to keep the polynomial away from imaginary numbers.

Ahhh, good point I guess I can find any polynomial with those roots giving it any multiplicity I want since it says "a" polynomial function. Thanks for the speedy replies both of you.

But now I have a new problem I have x^4-6x^3+12x^2-8x and I have to multiply that by -5i and (x-radical 7) When I tried it, I was welcomed with a new imaginary polynomial. So is there any better way to multiplying this out, or am I just doing it wrong?

Thanks again

Last edited:
If your polynomial needs to have real coefficients then -5i does need to be a root. That's what Hurkyl and chanvincent were pointing out. I don't know where you got that quartic polynomial (0 is also a root) but you should probably pose this question a little more clearly.

From how you stated the question, I would say that more than one polynomial are solutions to this question.

"Find a polynomial" does not mean "Find the polynomial".

lalbatros said:
From how you stated the question, I would say that more than one polynomial are solutions to this question.

"Find a polynomial" does not mean "Find the polynomial".

Ha ha... a very good point... then the general solution would be:

[tex](x-2)(x-\sqrt{7})(x-5i)(x-c_1)(x-c_2)[/tex]

but then the question would become meaningless...

Ha ha :-p

Since you need to come up with two more zeroes, and the conjugate of (x - 5i) needs to be one of them (assuming your polynomial is to have real coefficients), use the conjugate of (x - sqrt(7)) as the other zero and it should be a little cleaner when you multiply.

Mr. Mathmatics said:
chanvincent: I'm pretty sure she wants to keep the polynomial away from imaginary numbers.

Ahhh, good point I guess I can find any polynomial with those roots giving it any multiplicity I want since it says "a" polynomial function. Thanks for the speedy replies both of you.

But now I have a new problem I have x^4-6x^3+12x^2-8x and I have to multiply that by -5i and (x-radical 7) When I tried it, I was welcomed with a new imaginary polynomial. So is there any better way to multiplying this out, or am I just doing it wrong?

Thanks again
Of course, if you multiply a polynomial with real coefficients by -5i, you will get a polynomial with imaginary coefficients. I doubt that you were told to "multiply by -5i". What really was the problem? Is this a completely new problem or more on the original?

As far as the first problem is concerned, yes, you must have [itex](x-2)(x-\sqrt{7})(x-5i)(x-c_1)(x-c_2)[/itex] but that certainly does not make the problem "meaningless"- choose c1 and c2 to be whatever you want. As you yourself said, the problem asks for "a" polynomial, not "the" polynomial. What others have been saying is that to make the polynomial as simple as possible, having not only real but integer coefficients, choose [itex]c_1= -5i[/itex] and [itex]c_2= -\sqrt{7}[/itex] so that your polynomial is [itex](x-2)(x-\sqrt{7})(x+\sqrt{7})(x-5i)(x+5i)[/itex].

Of course, [itex](x-2)(x-\sqrt{7})(x-5i)(x-c_1)(x-c_2)[/itex] is a perfectly good polynomial anyway, and also quite a good solution to the question. It is a polynomial, regardless that you have not defined c_1 or c_2. Also, you lose no generality.

Related to Find a Polynomial Function of Degree 5 with Roots: 2, √7, 5i, and -5i

1. How do I find a polynomial function with given roots?

To find a polynomial function with given roots, you can use the fact that the function's factors are equal to zero at those roots. In other words, if a polynomial has a root of x=a, then (x-a) is a factor of the polynomial. By using this approach, you can construct a polynomial function with the given roots.

2. How many roots does a polynomial function of degree 5 have?

A polynomial function of degree 5 can have up to 5 roots. This is because the degree of a polynomial is equal to the highest exponent of the variable, and each root corresponds to a factor of the polynomial. Therefore, a polynomial of degree 5 can have up to 5 factors, and thus, up to 5 roots.

3. How do imaginary roots affect the graph of a polynomial function?

Imaginary roots do not affect the graph of a polynomial function in the real number plane. However, they do affect the behavior of the graph in the complex number plane. For example, if a polynomial has a pair of imaginary roots, it will have a pair of complex conjugate roots, which will result in the graph being symmetric about the x-axis in the complex plane.

4. Can a polynomial function have repeated roots?

Yes, a polynomial function can have repeated roots. This means that a root of the polynomial has a multiplicity greater than 1. For example, if a polynomial has a repeated root of x=2 with a multiplicity of 3, then (x-2)^3 is a factor of the polynomial. This means that the graph of the polynomial will touch or cross the x-axis at x=2 three times.

5. What is the general form of a polynomial function of degree 5 with given roots?

The general form of a polynomial function of degree 5 with roots 2, √7, 5i, and -5i is f(x) = a(x-2)(x-√7)(x-5i)(x+5i)(x-b), where a and b are constants. This is because a polynomial of degree 5 will have 5 roots, and each root corresponds to a factor of the polynomial. The constant a is used to scale the graph of the function, while b is used to shift the graph horizontally. The specific values of a and b can be determined by the given roots.