Find a value of the angle from the given equation

This will give you an expression of the form tan(alpha). Set this equal to the right side of your equation and solve for alpha using inverse tangent. The result will be in radians, so multiply by 180/pi to convert to degrees.In summary, to find the value of alpha in degrees, write tan(42)=tan(45-(1+2)) and apply tangent sum and difference rules to it. Set this equal to the right side of the given equation and solve for alpha using inverse tangent, then multiply by 180/pi to convert to degrees.
Chuckster

Homework Statement

If we are given an equation that equals [tex]tg\alpha[/tex], and we need to find out how much is [tex]\alpha[/tex], how would we do it, having in mind the equation bellow?

Homework Equations

[tex]tg\alpha=\frac{(1+tg1)(1+tg2)-2}{(1-tg1)(1-tg2)-2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since i know the answer (i looked it up, and it's 42 degrees), I'm guessing that the right side, when its solved, we should get [tex]tg42[/tex], but how to do it?

I tried multiplying, but with no luck. Is there an elegant solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chuckster said:

Homework Statement

If we are given an equation that equals [tex]tg\alpha[/tex], and we need to find out how much is [tex]\alpha[/tex], how would we do it, having in mind the equation bellow?

Homework Equations

[tex]tg\alpha=\frac{(1+tg1)(1+tg2)-2}{(1-tg1)(1-tg2)-2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since i know the answer (i looked it up, and it's 42 degrees), I'm guessing that the right side, when its solved, we should get [tex]tg42[/tex], but how to do it?

I tried multiplying, but with no luck. Is there an elegant solution.
The left side is just tg times [tex]\alpha[/tex]? The just divide both sides by tg:

[tex]\alpha= \frac{(1+tg1)(1+tg2)-2}{tg((1-tg1)(1-tg2)-2)}[/tex]

Now, as to what the right side should be, what are t, g, g1, and g2?

By tgw, do you mean tan(w) for an angle w? if so, then say it. What you have *written* is a product: t times g times w.

Anyway, if tgw means tan(w), then your equation has a solution alpha = arctan{[(1 + t1)*(1 + t2)-2]/[1 - t1)*(1 - t2) - 2]}, where t1 and t2 are your tg1 and tg2---whatever they may mean. Of course, the solution is not unique because we may add or subtract an integer multiple of pi to the angle and still satisfy the equation.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
By tgw, do you mean tan(w) for an angle w? if so, then say it. What you have *written* is a product: t times g times w.

Anyway, if tgw means tan(w), then your equation has a solution alpha = arctan{[(1 + t1)*(1 + t2)-2]/[1 - t1)*(1 - t2) - 2]}, where t1 and t2 are your tg1 and tg2---whatever they may mean. Of course, the solution is not unique because we may add or subtract an integer multiple of pi to the angle and still satisfy the equation.

RGV

it is tg(alpha), and alpha is in the first quadrant!
also, i need the exact size, in degrees.

Will you please answer Ray Vickson's question: does tgx or tg(x) mean tangent of x?

If, indeed, "tgx" or "tg(x)" means tan(x) then Ray Vickson's response is perfectly good answer. What more do you want?

HallsofIvy said:
Will you please answer Ray Vickson's question: does tgx or tg(x) mean tangent of x?

If, indeed, "tgx" or "tg(x)" means tan(x) then Ray Vickson's response is perfectly good answer. What more do you want?

I thought i made it clear - yes, it is tangentg of x.

As i said, i already knew that
alpha=arctg of the right side.

But i need how to exactly GET the value of alpha.
I hope you understand where I'm going at?

How much is alpha - in degrees - rather than it is arctg of the expression on the right.
I hope you understood what i meant.

Chuckster said:
I thought i made it clear - yes, it is tangentg of x.

As i said, i already knew that
alpha=arctg of the right side.

But i need how to exactly GET the value of alpha.
I hope you understand where I'm going at?

How much is alpha - in degrees - rather than it is arctg of the expression on the right.
I hope you understood what i meant.

Write tan(42)=tan(45-(1+2)) and apply tangent sum and difference rules to it.

1. What is the equation for finding the value of an angle?

The equation for finding the value of an angle depends on the given information. It may involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent, or it may involve using the properties of angles in a geometric figure.

2. How do I know which equation to use to find the angle?

You can determine which equation to use by looking at the given information. If the problem involves a triangle, you may need to use the trigonometric functions. If it involves a geometric figure, you may need to use the properties of angles.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the value of the angle?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the value of an angle. However, make sure you are in the correct mode (degrees or radians) and that your calculator is set to the appropriate precision.

4. What if the given equation does not have enough information to find the angle?

If the given equation does not have enough information, you may need to solve for the missing information or use additional equations or formulas to find the value of the angle.

5. How do I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by using the given equation and plugging in the value you found for the angle. If the equation holds true, then your answer is likely correct. You can also use a protractor or other measuring tool to physically measure the angle and compare it to your calculated value.