Find a vector perpendicular to another vector

In summary, to find the value of scalar α such that the vector L - αs is perpendicular to L, we can use the dot product property V · L = 0, where V is the vector L - αs and L is the vector L. We can calculate V by subtracting L from αs and then solve for α.
ch33zer

Homework Statement

Consider the two vectors:
L = 4 i + 3 j + k
and
s = 6 i + 6 j + 8 k
Find the value of the scalar α such that the vector
L - αs
is perpendicular to L.

Homework Equations

Dot Product:
A [tex]\bullet[/tex] B = |A||B| cos(theta)
A [tex]\bullet[/tex] B = AxBx i + AyBy j + AzBz k
A [tex]\bullet[/tex] A = (Ax^2 + Ay ^2 + Az^2)^.5 (Wouldn't let me do sub and sup in sqrt)

Cross Product
A x B = |A||B| sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I could do AxB and set that equal to |A||B| cos(theta) but when I did that everything just canceled out. I am really confused about multiplying a vector by a scalar and how that changes orientation etc.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AXB is AB sin(theta)

First, AxB is not ABsin(θ). That is a statement about magnitudes:

|A x B| = |A||B| sin(θ)

although it is pretty much irrelevant to the question.

Calculate V = L - as and use the property that V is perpendicular to L if V · L = 0.

Thanks. Got it.

Hello! I can provide some guidance on how to find a vector perpendicular to another vector.

First, let's define what it means for two vectors to be perpendicular. Two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is equal to zero. This means that they are at a 90 degree angle to each other.

In this problem, we are given two vectors, L and S, and we want to find a scalar, α, such that L - αS is perpendicular to L. To do this, we can use the dot product formula:

L \bullet (L - αS) = |L||L - αS| cos(theta)

Since we want the result to be perpendicular, we know that the dot product should be equal to zero. This means we can set the left side of the equation to zero:

0 = |L||L - αS| cos(theta)

Now, we can solve for α by rearranging the equation:

|L - αS| = 0 / |L| cos(theta)

|L - αS| = 0

This means that the magnitude of L - αS must be equal to zero in order for the vectors to be perpendicular. We can rewrite this equation using the Pythagorean theorem:

|L|^2 + |αS|^2 = 0

Since the magnitude of a vector cannot be negative, we know that |αS| must be equal to zero. This means that α must be equal to zero as well.

Therefore, the vector L - αS will be perpendicular to L if α = 0.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the definition of a vector perpendicular to another vector?

A vector perpendicular to another vector is a vector that forms a right angle, or 90 degrees, with the other vector. This means that the dot product of the two vectors is equal to 0.

2. How do you find a vector perpendicular to another vector?

To find a vector perpendicular to another vector, you can use the cross product. The cross product of two vectors will result in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

3. Can there be more than one vector that is perpendicular to another vector?

Yes, there can be infinitely many vectors that are perpendicular to another vector. This is because any vector that is rotated by 90 degrees in the same plane as the original vector will be perpendicular to it.

4. How can I check if two vectors are perpendicular to each other?

You can check if two vectors are perpendicular to each other by calculating their dot product. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the vectors are perpendicular. If the dot product is not equal to 0, then the vectors are not perpendicular.

5. Can a vector be perpendicular to itself?

No, a vector cannot be perpendicular to itself. In order for two vectors to be perpendicular, they must be in the same plane and have different directions. A vector cannot have a different direction from itself.