1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all ring homomorphisms from 3Z to Z?

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all ring homomorphisms from 3Z to Z, where 3Z are the integers that are of multiple 3.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So 3Z is cyclic so σ(3) is sufficient to look. Now all of the other examples have finite groups, so |σ(a)| divides the |a| in the domain. Or, the homomorphisms is define with Z as the domain, and then a=a^2. I understand these examples, but then dont know how to start this one...

<3> generates the group, so I know I want to consider it. But if σ(3)=a, but then what? Other examples are a=σ(1)=σ(1*1)=a^2, but that property doesn't hold here, and 1 is not in3Z. I know I'm missing something simple, just can't quite figure out what property I need to put my finger on to make that first step..

Thanks for any help!! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got the right starting point. So σ(3)+σ(3)+σ(3)=σ(3+3+3)=σ(9)=σ(3*3)=σ(3)*σ(3). So?

4. Apr 1, 2012 #3
    So 3a=a^2 if a=σ(3). So the possible homomorphisms of a will have that property. And it should them just fail out like the other examples.

5. Apr 1, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a solves 3a=a^2 then it's a homomorphism. You still need to describe what the homomorphisms are.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. Apr 1, 2012 #5
    Then 3a - a^2 = 0, and 3Z has no zero divisors, so factoring the equation gives a=0 or a=3.
    Then, if σ(3)=a=0, then σ(x)=0 for all x in 3Z, and σ is the zero homomorphism.
    If σ(3)=a=3, then σ(x)=x for all x in 3Z, and σ is the identity homomorphism.

Hence there there two ring homomorphism for 3Z to Z. :smile:

7. Apr 1, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems fine to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook