Find all solutions of the equation correct to two decimal places

• Thread starter fillipeano
  • Start date
In summary, to find all solutions of the equation tan x = sqrt(4-x^2) correct to two decimal places, one can start by squaring both sides to get tan^2x = 4 - x^2. Then, one can draw rough graphs of tan x and sqrt(4-x^2) on the same plot to get an approximate solution. If needed, one can then use a method such as Newton's method to correct the approximate solution and get a more accurate answer. Using a graphing calculator can also help in finding the solution.
fillipeano

Homework Statement

Find all solutions of the equation correct to two decimal places.
tan x = [itex]\sqrt{4 − x^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I squared both sides, giving me tan^2x = 4 - x^2, but I don't know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
fillipeano said:

Homework Statement

Find all solutions of the equation correct to two decimal places.
tan x = [itex]\sqrt{4 − x^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I squared both sides, giving me tan^2x = 4 - x^2, but I don't know where to go from there.

(1) Draw a (rough) graph of tan x and of sqrt(4-x^2) on the same plot. This will give you
an approximate solution.
(2) If necessary, correct the rought solution from (1) using Newton's method, for example (among many, many possible available methods).

RGV

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do when I posted this. Thank you for clarifying, I used a graphing calculator and got the answer.

FAQ: Find all solutions of the equation correct to two decimal places

1. What does it mean to find all solutions of an equation?

When we are asked to find all solutions of an equation, it means we need to find all possible values for the variable(s) that make the equation true. These values are known as solutions or roots of the equation.

2. Why do we need to find all solutions of an equation?

By finding all solutions of an equation, we can have a complete understanding of the relationship between the variables involved in the equation. This allows us to make accurate predictions and solve real-world problems.

3. How do we find all solutions of an equation?

To find all solutions of an equation, we typically use algebraic methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. We can also use graphical methods or numerical methods like iteration or interpolation.

4. What does it mean to be correct to two decimal places?

When we say an answer is correct to two decimal places, it means that the number has been rounded to the nearest hundredth. This is represented by having two digits after the decimal point.

5. Is it possible to have more than one solution when finding all solutions of an equation?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one solution for an equation. For example, a quadratic equation can have two real solutions, one real and one complex solution, or two complex solutions. It all depends on the nature of the equation and its solutions.