Find all the points along the line passing through both charges

In summary, the task is to find the points along a line between two point charges where the electric potential and electric field are both zero, given the charges and distance between them. For arrangement (a), the only solution for V=0 is x=∞ (or -∞), and for E=0, there are no solutions. For arrangement (b), there are two solutions for V=0, x=2d/3 and y=√(3d^2)/3. For E=0, the only solution is y=0. Relevant equations to refer to include electric potential energy and kinetic energy.
btpolk

Homework Statement

For each of the following arrangements of two point charges, find all the points along the line passing through both charges for which the electric potential V is zero (take V = 0 infinitely far from the charges) and for which the electric field E is zero. (Use the following as necessary: Q, d. Enter 0 or ∞ if necessary.)

(a) charges +Q and +2Q separated by a distance d
V = 0: x =
E = 0: x =

(b) charges −Q and +2Q separated by a distance d
V = 0: x =
y =
E = 0: y =

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) V=0: X=∞

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the first part of a right (well they said points, so -∞ is also an solution), take a stab at the second part of a.

For b you will need the relevant equations.

Spinnor said:
You got the first part of a right (well they said points, so -∞ is also an solution), take a stab at the second part of a.

For b you will need the relevant equations.

For the second part I tried Q+1/4d but it was wrong. I thought that at that point the positive charges would even out at a net electric field of 0.

What relevant equations should I refer to here?

What is the equation for finding all the points along the line passing through two charges?

The equation for finding all the points along the line passing through two charges is given by the formula: y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x, y) are the coordinates of the two charges and m is the slope of the line.

How do I determine the slope of the line passing through two charges?

The slope of the line passing through two charges can be determined by taking the difference in the y-coordinates (y2 - y1) and dividing it by the difference in the x-coordinates (x2 - x1).

Can the line passing through two charges intersect with other charges?

Yes, the line passing through two charges can intersect with other charges as long as they are not collinear. In other words, the line cannot pass through any other charges on its way from one charge to the other.

Are there any special cases to consider when finding all the points along the line passing through two charges?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider, such as when the two charges have the same coordinates, when the two charges are on the same horizontal or vertical line, or when the slope of the line is undefined. In these cases, the equation for finding all the points may need to be adjusted.

How can I use this information in my experiments or research?

The equation for finding all the points along the line passing through two charges can be useful in various experiments or research involving electrostatic forces. It can help in predicting the path of charged particles or in determining the location of points with specific electric potentials. It can also be used to calculate the electric field strength at different points along the line.