1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find amplitude with SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is a three part question in which I have successfully answered the first two of the questions.
    Part. 1
    A weight suspended from a spring is seen to bob up and down over a distance of 10 cm twice each second.
    What is the frequency? 2 Hz is the correct answer.
    Answer in the units of Hz.

Part. 2
    What is the period?
    Answe in the units of s. 0.5 s is the correct answer.

Part. 3
    What is the amplitude?
    Answer in the units of cm.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the definition of amplitude?

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    Quoted from Wikipedia, "Amplitude is the magnitude of change in the oscillating variable, with each oscillation, within an oscillating system. "

Outside of that I do not have a single clue as the instructor has not mentioned amplitude.

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest that you go back to wikipedia and read about peak-to-peak amplitude. Is the 10 cm you are given the amplitude or the peak-to-peak amplitude?

6. Dec 6, 2009 #5
    If the total distance covered by the weight while bobbing up and down is 10cm then magnitude of the amplitude is half the total distance that is 5cm.

7. Dec 6, 2009 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You got it.

8. Dec 6, 2009 #7
    After rereading what I quoted from Wikipedia and reread the article I did complete the final problem. I want to thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook