Find an isomorphism between the group of orientation

In summary, a possible isomorphism between the group of orientation preserving rigid motions of the plane and complex valued matrices of the form a b 0 1 where |a| = 1 has been defined, but the multiplication does not work out. The author suggests considering fractional linear transformations, also known as Mobius transformations, as a possible solution.
Dragonfall
I need to find an isomorphism between the group of orientation preserving rigid motions of the plane (translations, rotations) and complex valued matrices of the form

a b
0 1

where |a|=1.

I defined an isomorphism where the rotation part goes to e^it with angle t and the translation by l=ax+by to b=a+bi. But the multiplication doesn't work out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I defined an isomorphism where the rotation part goes to e^it with angle t and the translation by l=ax+by to b=a+bi. But the multiplication doesn't work out.
The rotation part goes to eit? It's supposed to go to a matrix, eit is not a matrix. The translation goes to b=a+bi? I don't even know what this means. Is the b on the left side the same as the one on the right side? And again, a+bi is a number, not a matrix, so how can the translation go to a+bi? Moreover, what exactly do you mean by "the rotation part" and "the translation"? I assume you mean that any rigid motion can be decomposed some how into a translation part and rotation part. But have you proved that this is possible? And do you realize that if f is an arbitrary orientation preserving rigid motion, then it can be decomposed into a rotation and translation like so: f = rt for some rotation r and some translation t, and can also be decomposed f = r't', for some rotation r' and some translation t', but prima facie, r' need not equal r and t' need not equal t, so when you speak of "the rotation part" it's ambiguous until you say whether you're decomposing rotation-first or translation-first.

Once you write out something that's clear, unambiguous, and makes sense, we can suggest ways to get passed wherever you're getting stuck, but right now I don't know how to help you. Actually, you haven't even asked a question.

(a priori, not prima facie)

Every orientation preserving rigid motion can be written as [tex]\rho_{\theta}t_a[/tex] where [tex]0\leq\theta <2\pi[/tex] and [tex]a=a_1x_1+a_2x_2[/tex]. Define a map [tex]f(\rho_{\theta}t_a)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}{e^{i\theta}}&{a_1+a_2i}\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]. Clear enough now?

Last edited:
Okay, so you've tried one thing that doesn't work. What exactly do you want now? I ask because I'm having trouble thinking of a hint, so it would help me if I had a more specific question to answer. Do you know anything about fractional linear transformations, a.k.a. Mobius transformations?

I already solved it.

Last edited:

Related to Find an isomorphism between the group of orientation

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two groups. It preserves the algebraic structure and operations of the groups, meaning that if two elements are related in one group, their corresponding elements will be related in the other group.

2. What is the group of orientation?

The group of orientation, denoted by SO(n), is a mathematical group that represents the set of all n-dimensional rotations that preserve orientation. In other words, the group contains all possible rotations that do not change the ordering of the objects being rotated.

3. How do you find an isomorphism between groups?

To find an isomorphism between two groups, you need to first identify their underlying structures and operations. Then, you can look for a function or mapping that preserves these structures and operations, meaning that it maps elements in one group to their corresponding elements in the other group.

4. Why is finding an isomorphism between groups important?

Finding an isomorphism between groups allows us to understand the relationship between different mathematical structures. It also provides a way to compare and classify groups, and can help simplify complex mathematical problems by reducing them to simpler, isomorphic forms.

5. How can you prove that two groups are isomorphic?

To prove that two groups are isomorphic, you need to show that there exists a bijective mapping between them that preserves their structures and operations. This can be done by demonstrating that the mapping is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto) and that it preserves the group's operations.