1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find an isomorphism between the group of orientation

1. Oct 12, 2006 #1
    I need to find an isomorphism between the group of orientation preserving rigid motions of the plane (translations, rotations) and complex valued matrices of the form

a b
    0 1

where |a|=1.

I defined an isomorphism where the rotation part goes to e^it with angle t and the translation by l=ax+by to b=a+bi. But the multiplication doesn't work out.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The rotation part goes to eit? It's supposed to go to a matrix, eit is not a matrix. The translation goes to b=a+bi? I don't even know what this means. Is the b on the left side the same as the one on the right side? And again, a+bi is a number, not a matrix, so how can the translation go to a+bi? Moreover, what exactly do you mean by "the rotation part" and "the translation"? I assume you mean that any rigid motion can be decomposed some how into a translation part and rotation part. But have you proved that this is possible? And do you realize that if f is an arbitrary orientation preserving rigid motion, then it can be decomposed into a rotation and translation like so: f = rt for some rotation r and some translation t, and can also be decomposed f = r't', for some rotation r' and some translation t', but prima facie, r' need not equal r and t' need not equal t, so when you speak of "the rotation part" it's ambiguous until you say whether you're decomposing rotation-first or translation-first.

Once you write out something that's clear, unambiguous, and makes sense, we can suggest ways to get passed wherever you're getting stuck, but right now I don't know how to help you. Actually, you haven't even asked a question.

4. Oct 13, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(a priori, not prima facie)

5. Oct 13, 2006 #4
    Every orientation preserving rigid motion can be written as [tex]\rho_{\theta}t_a[/tex] where [tex]0\leq\theta <2\pi[/tex] and [tex]a=a_1x_1+a_2x_2[/tex]. Define a map [tex]f(\rho_{\theta}t_a)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}{e^{i\theta}}&{a_1+a_2i}\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]. Clear enough now?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  6. Oct 14, 2006 #5

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay, so you've tried one thing that doesn't work. What exactly do you want now? I ask because I'm having trouble thinking of a hint, so it would help me if I had a more specific question to answer. Do you know anything about fractional linear transformations, a.k.a. Mobius transformations?

7. Oct 14, 2006 #6
    I already solved it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?