Find angle from velocity and more (ramp)

In summary, the conversation is about a ramp problem where the goal is to find a certain angle indicated in purple on the attached picture. The participants discuss the necessary information provided, such as the lengths of the hypotenuse and adjacent side, and the relationship between these quantities and the desired angle. There is also mention of an object sliding down the ramp and reaching different velocities at different distances. However, the question is not clearly presented and the picture does not provide much help. The speaker suggests that the original question be re-typed carefully for better understanding.
BillNyDaSiGuy
I'm puzzled to where i start on this ramp problem.

The picture (attachment) has all the following information.

I'm trying to find the following angle in purple (in the picture attachment)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
BillNyDaSiGuy said:

Well, you have the lengths of the hypotenuse and the side adjacent to the angle. What quantity do you know that links the hypotenuse and adjacent sides to the angle?

The question is badly presented and I don't think the adjacent side equals 5m.My guess is that there is an object which slides down reaching a velocity of 1.91m/s after 5m and 6.37m/s after 8.5m.

BillNyDaSiGuy said:

The picture doesn't do much for me. Perhaps you could copy, or at least re-type VERY carefully the actual question. The complete question, not a summary.

1. What is the formula for finding the angle from velocity and ramp?

The formula for finding the angle from velocity and ramp is given by the inverse tangent function (arctan) of the ratio of the vertical velocity to the horizontal velocity. This can be expressed as:
θ = arctan (vy/vx)

2. How do you determine the velocity of an object on a ramp?

The velocity of an object on a ramp can be determined using the equation v = √(vx2 + vy2), where vx is the horizontal velocity and vy is the vertical velocity. These velocities can be calculated using the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the angle of the ramp.

3. Can the angle be negative when finding it from velocity and ramp?

No, the angle cannot be negative when finding it from velocity and ramp. The inverse tangent function only returns values between -π/2 and π/2, so the angle will always be positive or negative. However, if the ramp is facing downwards, the angle will be negative in relation to the horizontal.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the angle on a ramp?

The mass of an object does not affect the angle on a ramp, as it is determined by the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity. However, the mass of an object can affect the velocity and trajectory of the object on the ramp.

5. What are the units for the angle found from velocity and ramp?

The angle found from velocity and ramp is measured in radians (rad). This is the standard unit for measuring angles in the scientific and mathematical fields. It can also be converted to degrees by multiplying the value in radians by 180/π.