Find angular acceleration of a yoyo

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular acceleration of a Yo-Yo as it falls, given two disks with radius R and mass M, and an axle with radius r. The sum of torques is set up to equal the tension from the string times r, plus 2MgR. This can also be set up as the sum of forces in the y-direction, with the tension minus 2Mg equal to 2Ma. Solving for the angular acceleration, the equation is g(r+R)/R^2. However, if the axle is very small or zero, there would be no angular acceleration due to no torque.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

A Yo-Yo is made up of twp solid disks each with radius R and mass M. The axle has radius r and is essentially massless. The Yo Yo is released to unwind.
Find the angular acceleration of the YoYO as it falls in terms of r, R and g.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma\tau=I\alpha[/tex]

I = 1/2MR^2

I set up the sum of torques to be the tension from the string times r, plus 2MgR, though I don't see what difference there would be if it were 2Mgr:

[tex]\Sigma\tau=Tr +2MgR=I\alpha[/tex]

I setup the following too:

[tex]\Sigma\F_y = T -2Mg = 2Ma[/tex] To solve for T and substitute into my equation for the sum of torques.

Then solving for [tex]\alpha[/tex] I finally get:

[tex]\frac{g(r+R) + ar}{R^2}[/tex] I don't think my answer should have a term for linear acceleration, unless it's gravity too?

I feel like I'm doing things blindly. I know that the sum of torques should equal the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration, but this business with the different radii is confusing me and I am uncertain as to whether or not what I'm doing makes sense.

UNRELATED: I tried previewing the post after doing some modifications and it shows all out of formatting. Please excuse any oddities.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I read too much into the problem. If the yo yo is falling, given the context of the problem there is no mention or too much emphasis on the string being unwounded, so I know that it's rotating but there's nothing to lead me to believe that there's a tension.

So setting up the sum of torques I get:

[tex]\Sigma\tau=2Mgr=I\alpha[/tex]

Solving for alpha I get

4gr/R^2

Still, does this result make sense? I don't really have a way of checking my answer since this homework is just something we turn in. So, I was wondering, if r, the axle was very small, say even zero, then there would be no angular acceleration for the yoyo wouldn't rotate right?

So at least the equation makes sense that way I suppose?

If there was no tension there would be no torque and no angular acceleration...you had the right idea above, you just need the relationship between linear acceleration and angular acceleration.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of a rotating object changes over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

2. How is the angular acceleration of a yoyo calculated?

The angular acceleration of a yoyo can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation: α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a yoyo?

The angular acceleration of a yoyo can be affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the yoyo, the radius of the yoyo's rotation, and any external forces acting on the yoyo (such as friction or air resistance).

4. Can the angular acceleration of a yoyo change over time?

Yes, the angular acceleration of a yoyo can change over time. This can happen if the initial velocity of the yoyo changes, if the radius of the rotation changes, or if external forces are applied to the yoyo.

5. How is the angular acceleration of a yoyo related to its linear acceleration?

The angular acceleration of a yoyo is related to its linear acceleration through the equation α = a/r, where α is the angular acceleration, a is the linear acceleration, and r is the radius of the yoyo's rotation. This means that as the radius of the yoyo's rotation increases, the linear acceleration decreases and vice versa.