How Do You Calculate the Angular Speed of a Rod?

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular velocity and direction of the center of mass (CM) of a rod after receiving horizontal and angular impulses. The magnitude of displacement of the CM in the first second is given, and it is assumed that the impulse due to gravity can be neglected. The CM moves like a projectile after the rod leaves the table and the rod will also rotate around the CM. The problem is solved by using equations for horizontal and angular impulse, and considering the initial horizontal velocity and vertical displacement of the CM.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=d2c1af8d106b3c9e063f60c3e568bea8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I interpret "magnitude of displacement of CM per sec " as Velocity of CM ,then

Horizontal Impulse provided to the rod = J

##J = MV_{cm}##

Angular impulse about the CM = JL/2

##\frac{JL}{2} = I \omega ## ,where ##I = \frac{ML^2}{12}##

Solving the above equations ##\omega = 30\sqrt{2}##rad/s . This is not the correct answer .

Please help me with the problem .

Thanks.

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=d2c1af8d106b3c9e063f60c3e568bea8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I interpret "magnitude of displacement of CM per sec " as Velocity of CM ,then

Horizontal Impulse provided to the rod = J

##J = MV_{cm}##

Angular impulse about the CM = JL/2

##\frac{JL}{2} = I \omega ## ,where ##I = \frac{ML^2}{12}##

Solving the above equations ##\omega = 30\sqrt{2}##rad/s . This is not the correct answer .

Please help me with the problem .

Thanks.

5√2 m is the magnitude of the displacement during the first second. It is not the velocity. It is the average speed. In what direction would the CM move? It gets a horizontal impulse, but gravity also acts on it.

Likes Vibhor
ehild said:
5√2 m is the magnitude of the displacement during the first second. It is not the velocity. It is the average speed.

Shouldn't that be magnitude of average velocity instead of average speed??

ehild said:
In what direction would the CM move? It gets a horizontal impulse, but gravity also acts on it.

The impulse due to gravity can be neglected , which means the CM initially moves towards right . Thereafter CM moves downwards . The path of CM would be like a projectile launched from a height . The rod rotates around the CM as well ??

But how should I use the magnitude of displacement per sec ??

Vibhor said:
Shouldn't that be magnitude of average velocity instead of average speed??
The impulse due to gravity can be neglected , which means the CM initially moves towards right . Thereafter CM moves downwards . The path of CM would be like a projectile launched from a height . The rod rotates around the CM as well ??

But how should I use the magnitude of displacement per sec ??

Yes, the CM moves like a projectile after the rod leaves the table. And it will rotate about the CM.
You are given the magnitude of displacement in the first second. It is not "displacement per sec". "Displacement per sec" or average velocity increases with time.
The CM gets an initial horizontal velocity Vo, and also falls vertically. What is the displacement in the first second in terms of Vo?

Likes Vibhor
Thank you very much ehild :smile: . I have got the correct answer .

You are welcome :oldsmile:

What does "find angular speed of rod" mean?

"Find angular speed of rod" refers to the process of calculating the rate at which a rod is rotating around a fixed axis. This measurement is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the rotational motion of objects.

What is the formula for finding angular speed of a rod?

The formula for finding angular speed of a rod is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents the angular speed, Δθ represents the change in angle, and Δt represents the change in time. This formula is based on the basic equation for angular velocity, which is ω = θ/t.

How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are two different measurements of an object's motion. Angular speed refers to the rate at which an object is rotating around an axis, while linear speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in radians per second, while linear speed is measured in meters per second.

What factors can affect the angular speed of a rod?

The angular speed of a rod can be affected by several factors, including the length and mass of the rod, the force applied to it, and any external forces acting on it. Friction and air resistance can also affect the angular speed of a rod.

How is angular speed used in real-life applications?

Angular speed is used in many real-life applications, such as in the design and operation of machines and vehicles that involve rotational motion, such as car engines and turbines. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to measure the speed of rotational movements. In astronomy, angular speed is used to measure the rotation of planets and other celestial bodies.