Find effective resistance using kirchoff's laws

In summary: No, that's not correct. Rs and Is are in terms of each other so I1 will be in terms of both Rs and Is.
brushman

Homework Statement

Find the effective resistance between the circled nodes in the following network (use a computer to solve the system of equations you get). Note that bump in the crossing wires meaning they're not connected.

Homework Equations

Sum of currents at a node is 0. Sum of voltages around a closed loop is 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to tell if currents are the same by symmetry, so as far as I can tell there's 5 different currents I1, I2, I3, I4, and I5. But I only see 2 nodes to create current equations with, leaving me with 3 more unknowns. I would guess that the current through the R1 resistors are the equal, and the current through the R2 resistors are equal, but I don't know how to tell the direction the current would be flowing.

Secondly, I only see 3 loops, one of them being a figure 8. So basically I can make 5 equations, but I have 7 unknowns.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
There are really only three independent currents, the other currents can be made up of combinations of those three thanks to KCL at the junctions. When currents split off at a junction, try to create as few new currents as you can. For example, suppose a current I1 flows into a junction and two paths leave the junction. Label one departing current as I2, and the other as I1 - I2. Then only one new current is created at the split. When currents meet at a junction, sum already known incoming currents to determine the outgoing current whenever possible.

Three currents, three loops, no problem.

if you're looking to write node equations, then if you put a current source driving the input and ground the lower input terminal (reference node), I can see three nodes (including the top input terminal).

brushman said:

Homework Statement

Find the effective resistance between the circled nodes in the following network (use a computer to solve the system of equations you get). Note that bump in the crossing wires meaning they're not connected.

Homework Equations

Sum of currents at a node is 0. Sum of voltages around a closed loop is 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to tell if currents are the same by symmetry, so as far as I can tell there's 5 different currents I1, I2, I3, I4, and I5. But I only see 2 nodes to create current equations with, leaving me with 3 more unknowns. I would guess that the current through the R1 resistors are the equal, and the current through the R2 resistors are equal, but I don't know how to tell the direction the current would be flowing.

Secondly, I only see 3 loops, one of them being a figure 8. So basically I can make 5 equations, but I have 7 unknowns.

To find the effective resistance between A and B, imagine a battery with emf E connected between these points and find the current I1 flowing through this battery. You can also redraw the circuit so as easier to follow the six currents and three loops. There are enough equations!

ehild

Attachments

• crossres.JPG
    crossres.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 475
Thanks. So to finish the problem I need to set up my equations and solve for I1, the current going through the imaginary voltage source. Then with the simplified circuit consisting of my Emf, Ref, and I1, I can solve for Ref in terms of I1 and Emf (where I1 is in terms of R1, R2, and R3). Is that correct? So my answer depends on what voltage source you attach? That doesn't seem right.

edit: nevermind, it looks like you can solve for Emf in terms of Rs and Is

But I1 will be proportional to E, so E cancels.

ehild

1. What are Kirchoff's laws?

Kirchoff's laws are a set of rules that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. The first law, also known as Kirchoff's current law, states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction. The second law, also known as Kirchoff's voltage law, states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

2. How do I use Kirchoff's laws to find the effective resistance?

To find the effective resistance in a circuit using Kirchoff's laws, you must first draw a circuit diagram and label all the known resistances. Then, apply Kirchoff's laws to set up a system of equations. Solve the equations using algebraic methods to find the effective resistance.

3. Can Kirchoff's laws be used for any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's laws can be used for any type of circuit, including parallel and series circuits. As long as the circuit is made up of resistors and is composed of closed loops and junctions, Kirchoff's laws can be applied to find the effective resistance.

4. What is the significance of finding the effective resistance using Kirchoff's laws?

The effective resistance of a circuit is a crucial factor in determining the behavior and performance of the circuit. By using Kirchoff's laws to find the effective resistance, we can analyze the flow of current and voltage in the circuit, and make informed decisions about how to optimize the circuit for desired outcomes.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchoff's laws to find the effective resistance?

While Kirchoff's laws are a powerful tool for analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, there are some limitations. These laws assume that the resistances in the circuit are linear, meaning that the current-voltage relationship is constant. In circuits with non-linear components, such as diodes, Kirchoff's laws may not accurately predict the behavior of the circuit.