Find equation in slope-intercept form

• Thread starter gillgill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the first conversation is about finding the equation of a line in slope-intercept form that passes through two given points. The second conversation is about determining if a given equation represents a horizontal line. The third conversation is about finding the equation of a line in slope-intercept form that is perpendicular to a given line and passes through a given x-intercept. The output is a summary of these conversations, with no additional output before it.
gillgill
find equation in slope-intercept form for line through (-2, 3/4) and (2/3, 5/2)
does y=21/32x+33/16 seem right?

find equation in slope-intercept form for line through
Horizontal, through (8,7)
is it y=7??

find equation in slope-intercept form for line with x-intercept -2/3 and perpendicular to 2x-y=4
does y=-1/2x+1/3 right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can test your first equation by substituting the points back into your equation.

The second equation y = 7 implies that for all x values the y value are 7. Does this seem right to you?

Your last equation cannot be right since the y-intercept is not the given one!

Last edited:
gillgill said:
find equation in slope-intercept form for line with x-intercept -2/3 and perpendicular to 2x-y=4
does y=-1/2x+1/3 right?

On this one, I got what you did, except the y-intercept of mine was negative. When I substituted -2/3 for x in y=-1/2x, i got 0=1/3 + b, therefore moving it to the other side would yield a negative...

ic...thanks...

1. What is the slope-intercept form of an equation?

The slope-intercept form of an equation is y = mx + b, where m represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept, the point where the line crosses the y-axis.

2. How do I find the slope and y-intercept of an equation in slope-intercept form?

The slope of the line can be found by looking at the coefficient of x, which is represented by m. The y-intercept can be found by looking at the constant term, which is represented by b.

3. Can any linear equation be written in slope-intercept form?

Yes, any linear equation can be written in slope-intercept form. This form is useful because it clearly shows the slope and y-intercept of the line.

4. What information can I gather from an equation in slope-intercept form?

An equation in slope-intercept form can give information about the slope of the line, the y-intercept, and the direction of the line (whether it is increasing or decreasing).

5. How can I graph an equation in slope-intercept form?

To graph an equation in slope-intercept form, plot the y-intercept first. Then, use the slope to find additional points on the line by moving up or down the y-axis (rise) and then over or back on the x-axis (run). Connect the points to create the line.