1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Eqv force and couple at point

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    Hey everyone, i'm really stuck on a review of statics for Solid Mechanics. I got through everything but this problem. I know there has to be two forces at point a if it's attached to the wall(Ax,Ay). I would say i'm stuck trying to figure out how I can move two forces that are unkown into a couple and another force... If I dont know the original value how is that possible?

Any tips to jog my memory in the right direction?
    Problem below with pic.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

This is a cantilever beam problem, and it is also statics problem, so the sum of forces (in x-horizontal, y-vertical) and moments is zero.

If one has 3 equations and one should have 3 unknows.
  4. Jan 19, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just break up F2 into its x and y components, and use the 3 equilibrium equations to solve for Ax, Ay, and the Moment (couple) reactions at A. Since numerical values for F1 and F2 are not given, the solution will be a function of F1 and F2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?