Find Expression for $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$ in Terms of Derivatives

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dethrone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the second derivative of a function $y=f(w)$ in terms of four other derivatives. This is done using the chain rule and applying it to the given expression. There is some confusion about notation and the power of Leibniz' notation is mentioned.
Dethrone
I'm going through lots and lots of past exams, so here are some more questions :D :

If $y=f(w)$ and $w=g(x)$ where $f$ and $g$ are twice differentiable functions find an expression for$ \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$ in terms of $\frac{dy}{dw}$, $\frac{d^2y}{dw^2}$, $\frac{dw}{dx}$, and $\frac{d^2w}{dx^2}$.

I didn't get far in this one. I just rewrote the given expression:

$$\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{d\d{y}{x}}{dx}=\frac{d\d{f(w)}{x}}{dx}$$

By the wording of the question, I have to express it in terms of ALL four derivatives. Any hints? (Smoking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
I'm going through lots and lots of past exams, so here are some more questions :D :

If $y=f(w)$ and $w=g(x)$ where $f$ and $g$ are twice differentiable functions find an expression for$ \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$ in terms of $\frac{dy}{dw}$, $\frac{d^2y}{dw^2}$, $\frac{dw}{dx}$, and $\frac{d^2w}{dx^2}$.

By the wording of the question, I have to express it in terms of ALL four derivatives. Any hints? (Smoking)

Chain rule says:
$$\d y x = \d y w \d w x$$
(Thinking)

Okay, so:

$$\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{d\d{y}{x}}{dx}=\frac{d\left(\d{y}{w}\d{w}{t}\right)}{dx}$$

Not sure how I can include $\frac{d^2y}{dw^2}$ and $\frac{d^2w}{dx^2}$ too.

Rido12 said:

If [tex]y=f(w)[/tex] and [tex]w=g(x)[/tex] where [tex]f~\&~g[/tex] are both twice differentiable then...

[tex] \frac{{d^2 y}}{{dx^2 }} = \frac{{d^2 y}}{{dw^2 }}\left( {\frac{{dw}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 + \frac{{dy}}{{dw}}\frac{{d^2 w}}{{dx^2 }}[/tex]...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
If [tex]y=f(w)[/tex] and [tex]w=g(x)[/tex] where [tex]f~\&~g[/tex] are both twice differentiable then...

[tex] \frac{{d^2 y}}{{dx^2 }} = \frac{{d^2 y}}{{dw^2 }}\left( {\frac{{dw}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 + \frac{{dy}}{{dw}}\frac{{d^2 w}}{{dx^2 }}[/tex]...

The procedure to arrive at the result is an easy application of the chain rule. Starting from...

$\displaystyle \frac{d y}{dx} = \frac{dy}{d w}\ \frac{d w}{d x}\ (1)$

... and applying the chain rule You obtain...

$\displaystyle \frac{d^{2} y}{d x^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{d y}{d w}\ \frac{d w}{d x}) = \frac{d^{2} y}{d w^{2}}\ (\frac{d w}{d x})^{2} + \frac{d y}{d w}\ \frac{d^{2} w}{d x^{2}}\ (2)$

The third derivative $\displaystyle \frac{d^{3} y}{d x^{3}}$ can be obtained from (2) in the same way as well as the derivatives of any order... the computation of the derivative of order 1001 is not difficult, only a bit tedious (Dull)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Thanks! Makes complete sense. :D

So the third derivative would be (I'm too lazy to take the last derivative...(Giggle) ):

$$\displaystyle \frac{d^{3} y}{d x^{3}}=\frac{d}{dx}\left[ \frac{d^{2} y}{d w^{2}}\ (\frac{d w}{d x})^{2} + \frac{d y}{d w}\ \frac{d^{2} w}{d x^{2}}\ \right]$$

I've think I read this before, but I forget. Anyone have any ideas as to why $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$ is not written $\frac{d^2y}{d^2x}$. You've also seemed to imply that $(dx)^2=(dx^2)$.

chisigma said:
$\displaystyle \frac{d^{2} y}{d x^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{d y}{d w}\ \frac{d w}{d x}) = \frac{d^{2} y}{d w^{2}}\ (\frac{d w}{d x})^{2} + \frac{d y}{d w}\ \frac{d^{2} w}{d x^{2}}\ (2)$

(Wait) Did you not mean?
$\displaystyle= \frac{d^{2} y}{d w^{2}}\ (\frac{d w}{d x}) + \frac{d y}{d w}\ \frac{d^{2} w}{d x^{2}}\ (2)$

I don't see the reason for the $\left(\frac{dw}{dx}\right)^2$ since by the product rule, our second function is $\frac{dw}{dx}$

Rido12 said:
(Wait) Did you not mean?
$\displaystyle= \frac{d^{2} y}{d w^{2}}\ (\frac{d w}{d x}) + \frac{d y}{d w}\ \frac{d^{2} w}{d x^{2}}\ (2)$

I don't see the reason for the $\left(\frac{dw}{dx}\right)^2$ since by the product rule, our second function is $\frac{dw}{dx}$

Applying the chain rule You have...

$\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{dy}{dw}\ \frac{dw}{dx}) = \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{d y}{dw})\ \frac {dw}{dx} + \frac{dy}{d w}\ \frac{d}{d x} (\frac{dw}{dx})\ (1)$

Now look at the term...

$\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{d y}{dw})\ \frac {dw}{dx} = \frac{d^{2} y}{d w^{2}}\ \frac{d w}{d x}\ \frac{dw}{d x}\ (2)$

... and all Your doubts will be resolved...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I see it now :D
Thanks, $\chi \sigma$, for the clear explanation (Yes)

Rido12 said:
I've think I read this before, but I forget. Anyone have any ideas as to why $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$ is not written $\frac{d^2y}{d^2x}$. You've also seemed to imply that $(dx)^2=(dx^2)$.

$\def\d{\mathrm{d}}$

In words, the second derivative is the change in the change of y, divided by the change in x, and again divided by the change in x.

We might write it as:
$$\begin{aligned}
f''(a) &= \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f'(a+h)-f'(a)}{h} \\
&= \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{ \lim\limits_{k\to 0} \frac{f(a+h+k)-f(a+h)}{k} -\lim\limits_{k\to 0} \frac{f(a+k)-f(a)}{k} }{h} \\
&= \lim_{h \to 0} \lim_{k\to 0} \frac{ (f(a+h+k)-f(a+h)) - (f(a+k)-f(a)) }{h \cdot k} \\
&= \lim_{\d x \to 0} \lim_{\d x'\to 0} \frac{ \d(f(a+\d x)) - \d(f(a)) }{\d x \cdot \d x'} \\
&= \lim_{\d x \to 0} \lim_{\d x'\to 0} \frac{ \d(\d(f(a))) }{\d x \cdot \d x'}
\end{aligned}$$Or:
$$\frac{\d^2y}{\d x^2} = \frac{\d(\d(y))}{\d x \cdot \d x}$$
Do you see the power? (Wondering) (Muscle)
The power of Leibniz' notation that is. (Emo)

Ah, I see. So $dx^2=(dx)^2$ or $dx \cdot dx$. Some reason, I see it as $dx^2=d \cdot x^2$, which is why I was initially curious. (Smoking)

Rido12 said:
Ah, I see. So $dx^2=(dx)^2$ or $dx \cdot dx$. Some reason, I see it as $dx^2=d \cdot x^2$, which is why I was initially curious. (Smoking)

Yep!

Oh, and if you don't see the power of Leibniz yet, compare:
$$f(g(x))' = f'(g(x)) \cdot g'(x)$$
with:
$$\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{dw} \cdot \frac{dw}{dx}$$

Or:
$$(f^{-1}(x))' = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}$$
with:
$$\frac{df}{dx} = \frac {1}{\frac{dx}{df}}$$

(Rock)

Yes, I love Leibniz! :D One goes into calculus to write $\d{y}{x}$, not $f'(x)$...(Cool)

Now that you've written that the slope of a function is equal to the multiplicative inverse of its inverse, I will quietly leeway to another question that I was too lazy to start a new thread to ask.

If $f(x)=x^5$, how do I evaluate $\left(f^{-1}\right)^{'}(32)$ in two different ways? The standard way of doing it is to find $f^{-1}$, then differentiate it, then plug in 32. What is the other way to do it? I have it feeling it requires this $(f^{-1}(x))' = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}$

Rido12 said:
Yes, I love Leibniz! :D One goes into calculus to write $\d{y}{x}$, not $f'(x)$...(Cool)

Now that you've written that the slope of a function is equal to the multiplicative inverse of its inverse, I will quietly leeway to another question that I was too lazy to start a new thread to ask.

If $f(x)=x^5$, how do I evaluate $\left(f^{-1}\right)^{'}(32)$ in two different ways? The standard way of doing it is to find $f^{-1}$, then differentiate it, then plug in 32. What is the other way to do it? I have it feeling it requires this $(f^{-1}(x))' = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}$

Seems like a good feeling to me. (Nod)
Did you try it? (Wondering)

Evaluating $\left(f^{-1}\right)^{'}(32)$ the normal way gives me $\frac{1}{80}$. Then another way,
$$(f^{-1}(x))' = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}=\frac{1}{f'(\sqrt[5]{x})}=\frac{1}{5(x^{4/5})}$$
Hence,
$$(f^{-1}(32))'=\frac{1}{5(32^{4/5})}=\frac{1}{80}$$
Now that I think about it, would you consider this "another method" of evaluating $\left(f^{-1}\right)^{'}(32)?$

Looks good!

Rido12 said:
Now that I think about it, would you consider this "another method" of evaluating $\left(f^{-1}\right)^{'}(32)?$

I would. Wouldn't you? (Wondering)

Yes! (Dance)

chisigma said:
The procedure to arrive at the result is an easy application of the chain rule. Starting from...

$\displaystyle \frac{d y}{dx} = \frac{dy}{d w}\ \frac{d w}{d x}\ (1)$

... and applying the chain rule You obtain...

The third derivative $\displaystyle \frac{d^{3} y}{d x^{3}}$ can be obtained from (2) in the same way as well as the derivatives of any order... the computation of the derivative of order 1001 is not difficult, only a bit tedious (Dull)...

The explicit expression of the third derivative is...

$\displaystyle \frac{d^{3} y}{d x^{3}} = \frac{d^{3} y}{d w^{3}}\ (\frac{d w}{d x})^{3} + 3\ \frac{d^{2} y}{d w^{2}}\ \frac{d w}{d x}\ \frac{d^{2} w}{d x^{2}} + \frac{d y}{d w}\ \frac{d^{3} w}{d x^{3}}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Hi $\chi \sigma$,

I got something slightly different, let me know where I made the mistake:

$$\frac{d^3y}{dw^3}\left(\frac{dw}{dx}\right)^3+2\frac{dw}{dx}\frac{d^2y}{dw^2}+\frac{d^2y}{dw^2}\frac{dw}{dx}\frac{d^2w}{dx^2}+\frac{d^3y}{dx^3}\frac{dy}{dw}$$

EDIT: I missed a chain rule somewhere, you are right :D, because
$$\frac{d}{dx}\left[\left(\frac{dw}{dx}\right)^2\right]=2\frac{dw}{dx} \cdot \frac{d^2w}{dx^2}$$

Last edited:

What is the definition of the second derivative?

The second derivative, denoted as $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$, is the derivative of the derivative of a function. In other words, it is the rate of change of the slope of a function at a specific point. It tells us how quickly the slope is changing at a given point on the curve.

Why is it important to find the expression for $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$?

Finding the expression for $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$ allows us to understand the behavior of a function in greater detail. It helps us determine the concavity of a curve, identify points of inflection, and analyze the rate of change of the slope. This information is crucial in many real-world applications, such as optimizing functions in economics and physics.

How do you find the expression for $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$?

To find the expression for $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$, we first find the first derivative of the function, $\frac{dy}{dx}$. Then, we take the derivative of this expression to find the second derivative. This can be done using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the complexity of the original function.

Can the expression for $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$ be simplified?

In some cases, the expression for $\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}$ can be simplified by algebraic manipulation or by using trigonometric identities. However, there may be cases where the expression cannot be simplified, and it is important to understand the concept behind the expression rather than just simplifying it.

How is the second derivative used in real-life situations?

The second derivative is used in many real-life situations, such as determining the maximum or minimum values of a function, optimizing functions in economics, and predicting the behavior of a physical system in physics. It is also used in engineering and statistics to analyze data and make predictions based on patterns and trends.