Find Extrema of f(x) = x^3+y^3+3x^2-18y^2+81y+5

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the extrema of a given function using the gradient and solving for x and y values. The correct solutions for x and y are x= 0 or -2 and y= 3 or 9. It is mentioned that there are four critical points and they can be found by substituting different values of x and y.
kliker
given this function

f(x) = x^3+y^3+3x^2-18y^2+81y+5

i should i find the extrema(i hope this is how it is called in english)

so we should have gradf = 0

hence
3x^2+6x = 0 and 3y^2-36y+81 = 0

here i get x = 0 or x = -2 and y = 54/9 or y = 2

now what i want to ask is, which points will i have to take in order to check of extrema?

it will be
P1 = (0,54/9) and P2 = (-2,2)?
P1 = (0,2) and P2 = (-2,54/9)?

which one is the correct?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't think your y values are correct... try subtituting them back in
3y^2-36y+81 = 3(y^2 -12 +27) = 0

you will need to check all of the points, either by subtituting in or a 2nd derivative check

First, as lanedance said, your solution for y is incorrect (it is easy to see that y= 2 does not satify the equation: 3(4)- 36(2)+ 81= -72+ 93= 21, not 0).

Second, once you have correct solutions for x and y, since the two equations are completely separate, any value of x can be used with any value of y- there are four critical points.

thanks a lot for your help :)

Related to Find Extrema of f(x) = x^3+y^3+3x^2-18y^2+81y+5

1. What is the definition of an extrema?

An extrema is a point on a graph where the function reaches either a maximum or minimum value. It can also be referred to as a critical point or turning point.

2. How do I find the extrema of a function?

To find the extrema of a function, you must first take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable (in this case, x and y). Then, set these derivatives equal to 0 and solve for x and y. The resulting values will be the coordinates of the extrema.

3. What is the process for finding the extrema of a multivariable function?

The process for finding the extrema of a multivariable function involves taking the partial derivatives with respect to each variable, setting them equal to 0, and solving for the variables. Then, use the second derivative test to determine if the point is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

4. How do I use the second derivative test to determine the type of extrema?

The second derivative test involves taking the second partial derivatives of the function and plugging in the coordinates of the critical point. If the resulting value is positive, the point is a minimum. If it is negative, the point is a maximum. If it is 0, the test is inconclusive and further analysis is needed.

5. Can a function have more than one extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple extrema. In fact, most functions have multiple extrema. These points can be either local (within a specific interval) or global (over the entire domain of the function).