Find f(t) given an inverse Laplace transform

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse Laplace transform of a given function and the process of using algebraic techniques to solve for the answer. Specifically, the conversation addresses the use of partial fraction decomposition, rearranging constants, and completing the square to find the inverse transform. The correct answer is given as e^{-2t}cos(t)-2e^{-2t}sin(t).
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find [tex]f(t)[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]L^{-1}\left\{\frac{s}{s^{2}+4s+5}\right\}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried completing the square to get to the solution and I ended up with:

[tex]L^{-1}\left\{\frac{s}{s^{2}+4s+5}\right\}[/tex] =

[tex]L^{-1}\left\{\frac{s}{(s+2)^{2}+1}\right\}[/tex]

Then, I used the inverse of a transform for cosine and the first translation theorum:

[tex]coskt = L^{-1}\left\{\frac{s}{(s^{2}+k^{2})}\right\}[/tex]

[tex]L\left\{e^{at}f(t)\right\} = F(s-a)}[/tex]

with [tex]a[/tex] being -2 and [tex]k[/tex] being 1 to get an answer of:

[tex]e^{-2t}cos(t)[/tex]

However, I was wrong. The book had the following answer:

[tex]e^{-2t}cos(t)-2e^{-2t}sin(t)[/tex]

My question is where does the [tex]-2e^{-2t}sin(t)[/tex] come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that is all of the Laplace transform?

[tex]\frac{s}{(s+2)^2+1}=\frac{s+2 -2}{(s+2)^2+1}[/tex]

now when you split that into two fractions, the one with s+2 in the numerator will give the cos term and the other will give the sin term, assuming I remember laplace transform correctly.

Good call, I knew that was missing but for some reason failed to mention it =(

rock.freak667 said:
[tex]\frac{s}{(s+2)^2+1}=\frac{s+2 -2}{(s+2)^2+1}[/tex]

now when you split that into two fractions, the one with s+2 in the numerator will give the cos term and the other will give the sin term, assuming I remember laplace transform correctly.

Aaaaha! That looks like a Calc II trick coming back to light. The chapter in my Differential Equations book dealing with Laplace Transforms does talk a lot about fancy algebra techniques like partial fraction decomposition, rearranging constants, and completing the square. I just forgot this one in particular.

Thanks for the explanation.

What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function that is defined in the Laplace domain and converts it back into the time domain. In other words, it finds the original function that was transformed using the Laplace transform.

Why is it important to find f(t) given an inverse Laplace transform?

Finding f(t) given an inverse Laplace transform allows us to solve differential equations that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also helps us understand the behavior of systems and signals in the time domain.

What is the process for finding f(t) given an inverse Laplace transform?

The process involves using the inverse Laplace transform formula, which is a complex integral that involves the Laplace transform of the function and the complex variable s. The integral is evaluated using techniques from complex analysis.

Are there any techniques for simplifying the process of finding f(t) given an inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to simplify the process, such as partial fraction decomposition, convolution, and the use of tables of commonly used Laplace transforms.

What are some common applications of finding f(t) given an inverse Laplace transform?

Inverse Laplace transforms have many applications in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields. Some common applications include solving electrical circuits, analyzing control systems, and studying the behavior of signals in communication systems.