Find Force to Keep M3 in Equilibrium: K&K Problem

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Review
In summary, the problem involves a pedagogical machine with three blocks, and the question is asking for the force F that must be applied on M1 to keep M3 from moving up or down. The surfaces are frictionless and the solution involves considering the entire setup as one mass to find the horizontal acceleration, and then using this to determine the required force.
WiFO215

Homework Statement

I got this problem from K&K. A pedagogical machine is illustrated in the sketch above. Refer link : http://www.slideshare.net/brigittperalta/sol-maquina-pedagogica-1546585 . What force F must be applied on M1 to keep M3 from moving up or down. All surfaces frictionless.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I go and sit on the M1 block, I can mark a fictitious force on M2 to the left with magnitude (M2.F)/M1. On M2 there is also tension from the string (T) to the right. If M3 is to remain in equilibrium, M3.g = T and T = (M2.F)/M1 to prevent block 2 from moving which will cause block 3 to move.

Therefore, I get my answer to be F = (M3.g.M1)/M2. I am making a mistake here but cannot see where. Can someone please tell me where?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi anirudh215,

anirudh215 said:

Homework Statement

I got this problem from K&K. A pedagogical machine is illustrated in the sketch above. Refer link : http://www.slideshare.net/brigittperalta/sol-maquina-pedagogica-1546585 . What force F must be applied on M1 to keep M3 from moving up or down. All surfaces frictionless.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I go and sit on the M1 block, I can mark a fictitious force on M2 to the left with magnitude (M2.F)/M1.

I believe this is incorrect here. According to this expression, the overall horizontal acceleration would be given by F=(m1) a, which is not true.

Instead, begin by considering the entire setup as one mass to find the horizontal acceleration, and then continue from there as you already have done.

Your solution is correct. The force F required to keep M3 in equilibrium can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, M3 is not accelerating, so the net force on it must be zero. This means that the force of gravity acting on M3, M3.g, must be balanced by an equal and opposite force. This force can be provided by the tension in the string, which is equal to the force applied on M2, (M2.F)/M1. Therefore, F = (M3.g.M1)/M2 is the correct equation to use. It is possible that you made a calculation error, so it would be helpful to double check your calculations. Additionally, it is always a good idea to draw a free body diagram to help visualize the forces acting on each object in the system.

Related to Find Force to Keep M3 in Equilibrium: K&K Problem

What is the meaning of "equilibrium" in this problem?

In this problem, "equilibrium" refers to a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero and no acceleration.

How do I find the force needed to keep M3 in equilibrium?

To find the force needed to keep M3 in equilibrium, you will need to use the principles of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on an object in equilibrium must be equal to zero. This can be achieved by setting up and solving a system of equations, using the known values for the forces and angles in the problem.

What are the key equations to use in solving this problem?

The key equations to use in solving this problem are the equations for the x and y components of force, which are Fx = Fcosθ and Fy = Fsinθ, respectively. These equations can be used to determine the individual forces acting on M3 in the x and y directions, which can then be summed to find the total force needed to keep M3 in equilibrium.

Are there any assumptions made in this problem?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made in this problem. One assumption is that the strings are massless and inextensible, meaning they have negligible weight and do not stretch or deform under tension. Another assumption is that there is no friction or air resistance acting on the objects. These assumptions may not hold true in real-world scenarios, but are commonly made in simplified physics problems.

Can this problem be solved using other methods besides static equilibrium?

Yes, it is possible to solve this problem using other methods, such as using the equations of motion or Newton's laws of motion. However, these methods may be more complex and time-consuming, whereas the method of static equilibrium is specifically designed for solving problems involving forces and objects in equilibrium.