Find general solution of differential eqn

In summary, the problem involves finding the particular integral for the differential equation y''+4y'+3y=\sinh x with initial conditions y(0)=y'(0)=0. The complementary function is y_c=Ae^{-3x}+Be^{-x} and the particular solution is found using the formula \frac{1}{L(D)}ksinh(ax+b), where L(D) is the differential operator and k, a, and b are constants. The correct answer is obtained by converting the R.H.S. to the equivalent form e^x-e^{-x}.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
[tex]y''+4y'+3y=\sinh x, \, y(0)=y'(0)=0[/tex]
The attempt at a solution
The auxiliary equation is: [itex]m^2+4m+3=0[/itex]
m= -3 and -1
The complementary function is: [itex]y_c=Ae^{-3x}+Be^{-x}[/itex]

I need to find the particular integral next. But i don't know what is the standard inverse D operator result in this case, but I'm going to deduce it from what information i do know.

[itex]L(D^2)\sinh ax=L(a^2)\sinh ax[/itex]
From this, i will deduce (maybe I'm wrong) the principle [itex]\frac{1}{L(D^2)}\sinh ax=\frac{1}{L(a^2)}\sinh ax[/itex], where [itex]L(a^2)\not =0[/itex]
[itex]L(D)=D^2+4D+3[/itex]
a=1, k=1
[itex]y_p=\frac{1}{1+4D+3}\sinh x=\frac{1}{4D+4}\sinh x[/itex]
On multiplying numerator and denominator by (4D-4), [itex]\frac{4D-4}{16D^2-16}\sinh x[/itex]
And then i applied the same principle again: [itex]\frac{4D-4}{0}\sinh x[/itex]

And then i got stuck, since the denominator is zero. I must have done something wrong somewhere but i have no idea where.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]Sinh x= (e^x- e^{-x})/2[/itex] so that your solution to the homogeneous equation, [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] is part of the particular solution. Try a particular solution of the form [itex]Ae^x+ Bxe^{-x}[/itex].

Unfortunately, i don't understand the method. I need a formula that i can always use whenever i see sinhx but it's unfortunately not listed in my notes.

For example, in my notes, [itex]\frac{1}{L(D)}ke^{ax}[/itex] gives the generic answer: [itex]\frac{1}{L(a)}ke^{ax}[/itex]

And also, in my notes, [itex]\frac{1}{L(D)}ksin(ax+b)[/itex] gives the generic answer: [itex]\frac{1}{L(-a^2)}ksin(ax+b)[/itex]

But there is nothing about [itex]\sinh x[/itex], so i deduced it myself from the above formula:
[itex]\frac{1}{L(D)}ksinh(ax+b)[/itex] gives the generic answer: [itex]\frac{1}{L(a^2)}ksinh(ax+b)[/itex] but somehow it's wrong as it doesn't solve the problem in post #1.

Last edited:
I finally got it! HallsofIvy, I'm sorry for dismissing your suggestion without looking deeper into it. I converted the R.H.S. to [itex]\frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{2}[/itex] which is the equivalent of [itex]\sinh x[/itex] and the correct answer revealed itself. Thank you for your help.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves variables, constants, and their derivatives, and is used to model many physical phenomena in the natural and social sciences.

2. What is a general solution of a differential equation?

A general solution of a differential equation is a formula or expression that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the variables and constants involved. It is the most general form of the solution, and may include arbitrary constants that can be determined by applying initial or boundary conditions.

3. How do you find the general solution of a differential equation?

The method for finding the general solution of a differential equation depends on the type of equation. For linear differential equations, the most common method is to use techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or variation of parameters. For non-linear equations, special techniques like power series expansions or numerical methods may be needed.

4. Can a differential equation have more than one general solution?

Yes, a differential equation can have an infinite number of general solutions. This is because there may be multiple ways to satisfy the equation, depending on the values of the constants involved. However, a specific set of initial or boundary conditions can determine a unique solution.

5. Why is finding the general solution of a differential equation important?

Finding the general solution of a differential equation is important because it allows us to understand and model complex natural phenomena. It also enables us to make predictions and solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, biology, economics, and more. Additionally, the general solution can serve as a starting point for finding a specific solution that satisfies given conditions.