Find initial velocity with accelration as a funt. of t

In summary, the problem involves finding the initial velocity v_{0x} of a particle, given its acceleration a_{x}(t), such that it will have the same x-coordinate at time t=4.00 s as it did at t=0. By integrating the given acceleration twice and setting x=0, the initial velocity can be determined to be -4.25 m/s.
mnafetsc

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particle is given by a_{x}(t)= - 1.94 m/s2 +( 3.05 m/s3 )t.

Find the initial velocity v_{0x} such that the particle will have the same x-coordinate at time t= 4.00 s as it had at t=0.

Homework Equations

vx= v0x + the integral ax dt

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was set velocity to 0 moved initial velocity over then integrated acceleration to give me this:

-v0x= (-1.94 m/s2)t + ((3.05 m/s3)t2)/2

I then plugged in t=4 and t=0 into the equation which gave me 16.64 -wrong

I feel I am close, I just don't know how else to approach this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mnafetsc,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

I'll give you a hint. You need to integrate twice. Ask yourself this. If you know what a(t) is, how do get an expression for x(t)? After you know that, then consider that the problem statement tells your that x(4 sec) = x0. :wink: You should be able to take it from there.

Last edited:
Perfect, integrated twice set x to 0 gives me -4.25 m/s

Thanks a bunch

1. What is the formula for finding initial velocity with acceleration as a function of time?

The formula for finding initial velocity with acceleration as a function of time is v0 = v - at, where v0 is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do I determine the acceleration if I know the initial and final velocities and time?

To determine the acceleration, you can use the formula a = (v - v0) / t, where v0 is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity, and t is the time.

3. Can I use this formula to find initial velocity with acceleration as a function of time in any situation?

Yes, this formula is applicable in any situation where the acceleration is a function of time and the final velocity is known.

4. What if the acceleration is not constant?

If the acceleration is not constant, you can still use this formula by finding the average acceleration over a specific time interval. You can do this by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time over that interval.

5. Can this formula be used to find the acceleration if the initial and final velocities are known?

No, this formula is specifically used to find the initial velocity. To find the acceleration, you can use the formula a = (v - v0) / t, where v0 is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity, and t is the time.