Find input values for smallest function amplitude

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with trying to calculate precise values for variables a, b, c, and d in a function y(x) in order to make the graph of the function over a specific region appear as flat as possible. The speaker is seeking help and mentions their background in using mathematical software. Another speaker suggests a procedure but raises doubts about its effectiveness in achieving the desired outcome. The original speaker clarifies that they are trying to solve a problem related to designing a mechanism, and provides approximate values for the variables. They express interest in finding the exact values with a precision of 0.1.
TheFistGuy
Hello!

I have a function y(x) with variables a; b; c; d.
equa.PNG

I know what the values of a; b; c; d roughly should be, but I am trying to calculate them precisely, so the graph of the function over the region from a to a+90° would look as straight (horizontal with smallest possible amplitude) as possible.

graph_s.png

How do I do this? Where do I start?
I haven't done any maths work in years but i still have access to Matlab, Mathematica, Mathcad from my collage days.

Any help greatly appriciated, as I can't find anything on the web, not knowing which keywords (proper terminology) I should be using.

Attachments

• graph_s.png
    graph_s.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 379
  • equa.PNG
    equa.PNG
    3.7 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
c=d=0 makes it exactly flat. Is that really what you want?
What is the actual problem you want to solve?

In general: You can find the highest and lowest point for different (a,b,c,d) and then run a conventional minimization algorithm to find the optimum.

Ahh, I am actually designing a mechanism with some levers and I stumbled upon this problem, which I decided to solve mathematically.

So I know approximate values:
c = 60.0 (plus or minus 1.0)
d = 60.0 (plus or minus 1.0)
a = 22.0° (plus or minus 1.0)
b = 292.0° (plus or minus 1.0)

I am really interested in calculating a,b,c,d with a precision of 0.1, so that the graph would look as flat as possible.

While you can do the procedure I suggested I'm highly confident that the result is not what you want. It will almost certainly run into the limits of +- 1, and I guess you'll get c=59, d=59, and I'm not sure if the values for a and b even matter. It won't make the graph notably flatter, and I don't see what you would learn from this mathematical solution.

Related to Find input values for smallest function amplitude

1. How do I determine the smallest function amplitude?

The smallest function amplitude can be determined by finding the smallest difference between the highest and lowest points on the graph of the function. This is also known as the range of the function.

2. What is the significance of finding the smallest function amplitude?

Finding the smallest function amplitude can help in understanding the behavior of the function and identifying the minimum and maximum values. It can also be useful in determining the precision needed for calculations involving the function.

3. How do I find input values for the smallest function amplitude?

To find input values for the smallest function amplitude, you can use a graphing calculator or plot the function on a graph and visually identify the input values that correspond to the minimum and maximum points on the graph.

4. Is there a specific method for finding input values for the smallest function amplitude?

No, there is no specific method for finding input values for the smallest function amplitude. It can vary depending on the type of function and the available tools. Some common methods include using calculus, graphing, or trial and error.

5. Can the smallest function amplitude be negative?

Yes, the smallest function amplitude can be negative. It simply represents the smallest difference between the highest and lowest points on the graph of the function, regardless of whether those points are positive or negative.