Find Intersection Point of Vectors | Problem Solved

• Thread starter vinay_mamgain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: sir if we take the magnitude of each vector we get ai+bj+ck=2i+0j+0kui+vj+wk=2i+2j+0kand the distance between them will be (ai+bj+ck)/(ui+vj+wk).
vinay_mamgain
i have just joined ur sit e
can u help me out
if we have the initial point of two vectors and equations of these vectors , how can we find the intersection point of these vectors

Physics news on Phys.org
?? Vectors are "free floating"- only specific representations have initial points. And even those may not intersect- they may not reach far enough.
If you mean you have two lines, one passing through [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] in the same direction as vector Ai+ Bj+ Ck, the other passing through [itex](x_1, y_1, z_1)[/itex], in the same direction as vector Ui+ Vj+ Wk, then the first line can be written in parametric equations [itex]x= x_0+ At[/itex], [itex]y= y_0+ Bt[/itex], [itex]z= z_0+ Ct[/itex] and the second line can be written in parametric equations [itex]x= x_1+ Ut[/itex], [itex]y= y_1+ Vt[/itex], [itex]z= z_1+ Wt[/itex]. Set "x=x", "y= y", "z= z", and solve the resulting three equations for s and t.
Of course, in general, three equations won't give just two unknown values- in three dimensions most lines are "skew" and don't intersect. If you are working in 2-dimensions, (x, y), just ignore the z equations and you have two equations to solve for s and t.

thanks sir for ur answer.
u got me right.

here is one other problem.
given initial points of two vector with their equation
what will be the minimum distance between them if they don't intersect.

i had read one of the answer written in ur site , that subtract one vector from the other and taking the magnitude of that resultant vector will give us result.

now suppose if our one vector start at (1,0,0) with equation 2i +0j + 0k i.e 2i. Other has (2,0,0) as initial point with eq 2i( as i think two parallel vectors with equal magnitude have same equation).then according to above solution ,the answer is zero. pease if possible give formula.

thanks
vinay

Related to Find Intersection Point of Vectors | Problem Solved

1. How do you find the intersection point of two vectors?

To find the intersection point of two vectors, you first need to determine the equations of the two lines formed by the vectors. Then, you can solve the system of equations to find the coordinates of the intersection point. This can be done using various methods such as substitution or elimination.

2. Can vectors intersect at more than one point?

No, two vectors can only intersect at one point. This is because a vector represents a direction and magnitude, and if two vectors intersect at more than one point, it would mean they have different directions and magnitudes, which is not possible.

3. What is the importance of finding the intersection point of vectors?

Finding the intersection point of vectors can be useful in many real-life applications, such as determining the point of collision in a moving object or finding the point of convergence in a system of equations. It can also help in solving geometric problems involving lines and planes.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding the intersection point of vectors?

No, there is no specific formula for finding the intersection point of vectors. The method used to find the intersection point may vary depending on the given vectors and their equations. However, there are general strategies and techniques that can be applied to solve this type of problem.

5. Can vectors in three-dimensional space intersect?

Yes, vectors in three-dimensional space can intersect. In fact, they can intersect at a point, a line, or even a plane. The method used to find the intersection point in three-dimensional space is similar to the method used in two-dimensional space, but it involves solving a system of three equations instead of two.