Find limit as x-> a of this function

In summary, a limit problem involving a complex expression is being discussed. The expression involves a square root and a cube root, leading to an indeterminate form. Ideas for solving the problem include rationalizing the numerator and simplifying the expression to make it easier to use the L'Hopital's rule. The conversation ends with a possible solution using the L'Hopital's rule on the simplified expression.
mathwiz123
This is one of the actual example L'hopital used in his book "L'analyse des Infiniment Petits Pour I'Intelligence des Lignes Courbes"

Check it out!

Find the limit of x as it approaches a for

y=[[(2*a^3*x-x^4)^.5]-[a^3(a^2x)^.5]]/(a-(ax^3)^.25)

Unfortunately, I can't get rid of the indeterminate form! Ideas/help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just want to make sure - is this the problem?
[tex]
y = \frac{\left ( \sqrt{2a^3x-x^4}-a^3\sqrt{a^{2x}} \right )}{a - \sqrt{ax^3}}
[/tex]

l'hopital

The diviser should be [a-(ax^3)^.25]

[tex]
y = \frac{\left ( \sqrt{2a^3x-x^4}-a^3\sqrt{a^{2x}} \right )}{a - \sqrt{\sqrt{ax^3}}}
[/tex]

and instead of a^3(a*a*x), it should be a(a*a*x)^(1/3)

i wonder if flat out differentiaon would just do it...

maybe you rationalize the numerator?

I think a little simplification after rationalization should do...hmmm. By the way, how do you do that math font?

[tex]
y = \frac{\left ( \sqrt{2a^3x-x^4}-a\sqrt[3]{a^{2x}} \right )}{a - \sqrt[4]{ax^3}}
[/tex]

Thanks! And just for clarification. This is what I was trying to find.
[tex]y = \frac{\left ( \sqrt{2a^3x-x^4}-a\sqrt[3]{a^{2}x} \right )}{a - \sqrt[4]{ax^3}}[\tex]

[tex] y = \frac{\left ( \sqrt{2a^3x-x^4}-a\sqrt[3]{a^{2}x} \right )}{a - \sqrt[4]{ax^3}} [/tex]

Yes! exactly. Thanks for the help.

The denominator can be brought to the form

[tex] a^4 -ax^3 [/tex]

which is easy to differentiate when using the 'H^opital rule.

Daniel.

What is the concept of "limit" in mathematics?

The limit of a function is the value that a function approaches as the input (x) approaches a specific value (a). It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function as x approaches a, you can either evaluate the function at values of x that are closer and closer to a, or use algebraic methods such as factoring and canceling out common terms.

What does it mean when the limit does not exist?

If the limit of a function does not exist, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as x approaches a. This could be because the function has a jump or a discontinuity at that point, or because the function approaches different values from the left and right sides of a.

Can the limit of a function be infinity?

Yes, the limit of a function can be infinity if the function approaches a vertical asymptote as x approaches a. This means that the function gets larger and larger without bound as x gets closer to a.

Why do we use limits in mathematics?

Limits are used in mathematics to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point. They are also used to define important concepts such as continuity, differentiability, and the derivative. Limits are essential in calculus and are used to solve many real-world problems in physics, engineering, and economics.