Find log_x(4) as x-->1: Understanding the Limit of logx(4)

• Thread starter strigner
  • Start date
In summary, the limit as x approaches 1 of logx(4) does not exist, as shown by various approaches and calculations. The use of the generalized binomial formula and exploration of the limit from the left and right confirm this conclusion.
strigner
Homework Statement
Evaluate
lim x-->1 logx(4)

The attempt at a solution
I can't understand this because basically if you plug in 1 as x, log14 doesn't have a solution because 1 to the power of anything is just 1.

Physics news on Phys.org

So that is clearly not a continuous function. But you don't find a limit by "plugging in" a number. If y= logx(4), then 4= xy. I think what I would do is let h= x-1 so that 4= (1+h)y and the limit is as h goes to 0. Apply the generalized binomial formula to (1+ h)y

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the response, now I remember that I'm not looking for the value at 1, so that makes sense now. But I'm not sure what to do with that binomial as we haven't covered binomial formula.

I tried thinking about it with RHS and LHS limits. If you're approaching 1 from the left then y is a large negative and if you are approaching from the right then y is a large positive number, therefore the limit at 1 does not exist. Does that make sense?

HallsofIvy, correct me if I'm off track, but I think your approach hides the dependence of the limit in this variable [tex] y [/tex], and since there is no simple way to evaluate the generalized series, I'm not sure where to turn.

My first thought was this:

[tex]
\log_x {4} = \frac{\log 4}{\log x}
[/tex]

(I used logs base 10; obviously [tex] \ln [/tex] would also do)
Then look at the limit of this expression from the right and left. Explorations with SAGE confirmed my suspicions about this.

If I've missed something obvious, please let me know.

So even with [tex]

\log_x {4} = \frac{\log 4}{\log x}

[/tex] it looks like the limit does not exist because when approaching 1 from the left the denominator is a very small negative number making the limit negative infinity and when approaching from the right the denominator is a very small positive number making the limit postiive infinity, therefore limit does not exist, is that correct?

Yes.

Actually that was my point. Using the generalized Binomial formula for (1+ h)y gives 1+ hy+ higher power terms in h. 4= 1+ hy+ higher power terms in h. Taking the limit as h goes to 0 gives 4= 1 no matter what y is: the limit does not exist.

1. What does "log_x(4) as x-->1" mean?

When we write "log_x(4) as x-->1," we are asking to find the value of the logarithm of 4 with base x as x approaches 1. This means that we want to find the value that x gets closer and closer to as it approaches 1.

2. How do I solve for log_x(4) as x-->1?

To solve for log_x(4) as x-->1, we can use the limit definition of logarithms. This states that the limit of log_x(y) as x approaches a is equal to the logarithm of y with base a. In this case, we have a=1 and y=4, so the value of log_x(4) as x approaches 1 is equal to log_1(4), which is undefined.

3. Why is log_x(4) as x-->1 undefined?

The value of log_x(4) as x approaches 1 is undefined because x cannot be raised to any power to equal 4. In other words, there is no value for x that can be substituted into the logarithm function to make it equal to 4 when x is approaching 1.

4. Can log_x(4) as x-->1 be approximated?

No, log_x(4) as x-->1 cannot be approximated because it is undefined. When a limit is undefined, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as the input approaches a certain value. Therefore, there is no way to approximate the value of log_x(4) as x-->1.

5. How does log_x(4) as x-->1 relate to the graph of a logarithmic function?

The value of log_x(4) as x approaches 1 is related to the vertical asymptote of a logarithmic function. As x gets closer to 1, the graph of the logarithmic function will approach the vertical line x=1, but will never touch it. This is because the function is undefined at x=1, just like the limit log_x(4) as x-->1 is undefined.