Find magnetic force on a squar loop

In summary, the question asks for the force on a square loop in the yz plane with side a and centered at the origin, when a current I is flowing counter clockwise along the x axis. The equation used to find the magnetic force is Fmag=I∫(dl x B). The answer is netforce= 2(IaB)=2(Ia(ka/2)=Ia2k up. B is equal to kz along the lines z=±a/2, resulting in B=±ka/2.
leonne

Homework Statement

suppose that mag field is B=kz [tex]\stackrel{^}{x}[/tex]
find force on a square loop(side a) lying in the yz plane and centers at origin, if it carries a current I flowing counter clock whne u look down x axis

Homework Equations

Fmag=I[tex]\int[/tex](dl x B)

The Attempt at a Solution

Why does The force on the left side (toward
the left) cancels the force on the right side (toward the right)? Also than the answer is
netforce= 2(IaB)=2(Ia(ka/2)=Ia2k up

How did B turn into ka/2? and where did the "a" come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi leonne! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
leonne said:
suppose that mag field is B=kz [tex]\stackrel{^}{x}[/tex]
find force on a square loop(side a) lying in the yz plane and centers at origin, if it carries a current I flowing counter clock whne u look down x axis

Homework Equations

Fmag=I[tex]\int[/tex](dl x B)

…the answer is
netforce= 2(IaB)=2(Ia(ka/2)=Ia2k up

How did B turn into ka/2? and where did the "a" come from?

(do you mean B = kzx ? :confused:)

B is kz along the lines z = ±a/2, so B = ±ka/2 :wink:

hmm tried to make it B=kz x^ (x hat)
o ok thxs hmm

Related to Find magnetic force on a squar loop

What is the formula for finding the magnetic force on a square loop?

The formula for finding the magnetic force on a square loop is F=IABsinθ, where F is the magnetic force in Newtons, I is the current in Amperes, A is the area of the loop in square meters, B is the magnetic field strength in Teslas, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

How do you determine the direction of the magnetic force on a square loop?

The direction of the magnetic force on a square loop can be determined using the right hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic force.

What factors affect the magnetic force on a square loop?

The magnetic force on a square loop is affected by the current in the loop, the area of the loop, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

How does the magnetic force on a square loop change if the loop is rotated?

If the loop is rotated, the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop will change, resulting in a change in the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force. This can be calculated using the formula F=IABsinθ, where θ is the new angle.

Can the magnetic force on a square loop be zero?

Yes, the magnetic force on a square loop can be zero if the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop is 0 or 180 degrees. In these cases, the sine function in the formula F=IABsinθ would equal 0, resulting in a zero magnetic force.