Find Magnitude of Total Contact Force on 20kg Box in 3 Cases

In summary, in (a), the contact force is normal to the ground, while in (b) and (c), it is perpendicular to the ground.
Shah 72
MHB
A box of mass 20 kg is at rest on a rough horizontal ground. Find the magnitude of the total contact force in each of the cases.
a) The box is pulled horizontally to the right by a force of 40N
b) the box is pushed to the left by a force of 50N at 15 degree above the horizontal .
c) the box is pushed to the left by a force of 50N at 15 degree below the horizontal.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Shah 72 said:
A box of mass 20 kg is at rest on a rough horizontal ground. Find the magnitude of the total contact force in each of the cases.
b) the box is pushed to the left by a force of 50N at 15 degree above the horizontal .
c) the box is pushed to the left by a force of 50N at 15 degree below the horizontal.
I have worked out the ans for a) will be 204N.
b) iam getting the ans 213N, but the textbook says 193N
c) I get the ans 187N , the textbook ans is 218N.

Shah 72 said:
I have worked out the ans for a) will be 204N.
b) iam getting the ans 213N, but the textbook says 193N
c) I get the ans 187N , the textbook ans is 218N.

I don't get any of those values, yours or the text. I'm interpreting total contact force as the Normal Reaction Force the rough (assumedly horizontal) surface exerts upward on the box. Is that how your text defines it?

Is there more information that you haven't posted?

skeeter said:
I don't get any of those values, yours or the text. I'm interpreting total contact force as the Normal Reaction Force the rough (assumedly horizontal) surface exerts upward on the box. Is that how your text defines it?

Is there more information that you haven't posted?
The question is Q(3)
20210420_100046.jpg

This is the exact info in the textbook. And iam getting a different ans from the ans given in the textbook.
20210420_100046.jpg
20210420_100046.jpg

(a) normal contact force = weight = 20g = 196 N

(b) normal contact force = weight - vertical component of the applied force = 20g - 50sin(15) = 183 N

(c) normal contact force = weight + vertical component of the applied force = 20g + 50sin(15) = 209 N

may help your understanding if you sketched free body diagrams for each situation

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of total contact force on a 20kg box?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of total contact force is F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you determine the direction of the total contact force on a 20kg box?

The direction of the total contact force can be determined by considering the direction of the applied force and the direction of the resulting acceleration. The total contact force will act in the same direction as the resulting acceleration.

3. What are the three cases that need to be considered when finding the magnitude of total contact force on a 20kg box?

The three cases that need to be considered are when the box is at rest, when the box is moving at a constant velocity, and when the box is accelerating. Each case will have a different value for the magnitude of total contact force.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of total contact force on a 20kg box when it is at rest?

When the box is at rest, the magnitude of total contact force is equal to the weight of the box, which is calculated by multiplying the mass (20kg) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This gives a total contact force of 196 N.

5. Can the magnitude of total contact force on a 20kg box be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of total contact force can be negative. This would indicate that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the resulting acceleration. For example, if the box is moving to the left and the applied force is to the right, the resulting acceleration and total contact force would be negative.