How to Calculate Mass Using Torque?

In summary, the homework statement asks for the mass of a bar and provides equations for calculating the torque and force on a pivot. The attempted solution states that the system is in equilibrium if it isn't moving, and includes the torques from the weight of the bar, the weight of mass A, and the tension force at the midpoint of the beam from the weight of mass B.
bballa99
Torque question need help!

Homework Statement

Find the mass of the bar.
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8871/eeeeee.png
(My paint drawing sucks.)

A = 0.5 kg
B = 0.5 kg
L = 50cm
Angle = 76 degrees

Homework Equations

[tex] fd_\perp [/tex] , Tcl = Tcc [tex] T_cl = T_cc [/tex] (Torque clockwise = Torque counter-clockwise)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tcl = Tcc
m(9.8)(0.25 sin 76) = (0.5sin76)(9.8)

I have attemped the above, and ended up with mass = 1.49 kg which is impossible... (it was a plastic ruler).

I don't think I am missing anything given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. Also the system is in eqilibrium, right?

What happened to the force and torque from the mass B? And you left out the mass of A or the lever arm of A to the pivot, I can't tell which one you forgot, because the numerical values are the same. Also, if I read your diagram correctly, the mass B seems to be attached to a rope around a pulley, with the other end of the rope teminating at the mid point of the beam. If that'scorrect, you need to know what angle the rope makes with the beam at its point of connection with the beam midpoint, and calculate the torque from that tensile force appropriately.

Oh sorry. I forgot to add that in, I had it erased. The angle the rope makes with the beam is 30 degrees.

And I used:
[tex]F_ad[/tex] = [tex]F_bd[/tex]

The system is in equilibrium if it isn't moving after all loads are applied. When summing torques about the pivot, you must include the torques from all loads: from the bars weight, the weight of mass A, and the tension force applied at midpoint from the weight of mass B. Torques can be found from Torque=F(r)sin theta, where F is the force, r is the position vector measured along the bar from the point of application of the force to the pivot, and theta is the angle in between the force and position vector. Watch plus and minus signs.

Thank you. I understand now.

Solved.

(How to mark it? I can't find it under thread tools)

1. How do you find mass using torque?

In order to find mass using torque, you will need to know the distance from the pivot point (where the object is rotating) to the point where the force is being applied, as well as the amount of force being applied. The equation for finding mass using torque is: mass = torque / (distance x gravitational force).

2. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is being applied.

3. Can torque be used to find mass for any type of object?

Yes, torque can be used to find mass for any type of object, as long as you know the distance from the pivot point and the force being applied. However, this method may not be as accurate for non-rigid objects or objects with complex shapes.

4. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system or pound-feet (lb-ft) in the imperial system. This unit is a combination of a unit of force (newtons or pounds) and a unit of distance (meters or feet).

5. Are there any limitations to using torque to find mass?

Yes, there are limitations to using torque to find mass. This method assumes that the object is in equilibrium, meaning that it is not moving or accelerating. It also assumes that the object is rigid and has a uniform mass distribution. If these assumptions are not met, the calculated mass may not be accurate.