Find Minimum Acceleration from Graph

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum acceleration from a given graph. The point where the slope is the smallest is the point of interest, which falls between t = 3-4 s or t = 4-5 s. The calculated acceleration is about 2 m/s2, but this answer is not accepted. After further discussion, it is realized that the slope at t = 4 s is actually 0, which is the correct answer for the minimum acceleration. The conversation concludes by acknowledging the importance of understanding mistakes in order to improve problem-solving skills.
dumakey1212
So this looks really easy, but I can't get the right answer. It asks you to find the minimum acceleration from the graph: http://s22.postimg.org/f5dutd5ap/pic.png. This is of course the point where the slope is the smallest, and this is from t = 3-4 s or t = 4-5 s, depending on whether you want to find the positive/negative acceleration. Either way it's about (57 m/s - 55 m/s)/1 s, 2 m/s2. It doesn't accept this answer or 1, 3, 4, 5 or the negatives of those. I'm not sure what's going on, this is pretty basic. There's no way the lowest acceleration is greater than 5, and it is most obviously based on the graph about 2 or 3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup! You're right, how foolish of me :D

I don't think it was foolish, after all they did say minimum acceleration which you interpreted as more negative it is the smaller it is (in a purely mathematical sense) vs the minimum magnitude of the acceleration (always a non-negative number).

Understanding where you went wrong will help you in many other problems ala "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems like this with a systematic and analytical mindset. It is clear that the minimum acceleration can be found at the points where the slope of the graph is the smallest. However, it is also important to consider the units and scale of the graph in order to accurately determine the minimum acceleration.

Upon examining the given graph, it appears that the units on the y-axis are in meters per second (m/s), while the units on the x-axis are in seconds (s). This means that the slope of the graph is actually in units of m/s per second, or m/s^2, which is the unit for acceleration.

Using this information, we can determine that the minimum acceleration can be found at the points where the slope is the smallest, which is at t = 3-4 s and t = 4-5 s. At these points, the slope is approximately 2 m/s^2, which is the correct answer.

It is important to also consider the scale of the graph. In this case, the scale on the y-axis is quite small, with each interval representing only 1 m/s. This may have caused some confusion in trying to determine the correct answer.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully analyze the units and scale of a graph in order to accurately determine the minimum acceleration. It is also important to double-check the calculations and make sure the units are consistent. In this case, the minimum acceleration is approximately 2 m/s^2, which is consistent with the graph and the given information.

What is "Find Minimum Acceleration from Graph"?

"Find Minimum Acceleration from Graph" is a method used by scientists to determine the minimum acceleration of an object based on its velocity-time graph. This information can be useful in understanding the motion of the object and predicting its future behavior.

How is the minimum acceleration calculated from a graph?

The minimum acceleration can be calculated by finding the steepest slope on the velocity-time graph. This represents the highest rate of change in velocity and therefore the minimum acceleration of the object.

What units are used to measure minimum acceleration?

Minimum acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the minimum acceleration calculated from a graph?

The accuracy of the minimum acceleration calculated from a graph can be affected by factors such as measurement errors, irregularities in the motion of the object, and the resolution of the data collected.

How is the minimum acceleration used in scientific research and experiments?

The minimum acceleration calculated from a graph can be used in a variety of ways in scientific research and experiments. It can help determine the forces acting on an object, the type of motion (constant, increasing, or decreasing acceleration), and can be used to make predictions about the future behavior of the object.